Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 3 week summer cruise: Chesapeake to New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Wifey, 1 crew and myself cast off on Saturday for Newport R.I. Departing from Solomons, Md. so we have decided with the forecast on Friday to sail down the Bay and out thru the Bay bridge Tunnel.
Once in Newport we plan on staying a couple days then start to work our way back daysailing along the way. Extra crew leaves the boat in Newport so it will be Wifey and I from then on.
Major stops planned: Block Is, Mystic, NYC and Cape May.
I'm sure I'll probably need help along the way so I'll keep you posted. This will be our first coastal cruise.
Don't forget Stonington or Greenport. Port Jefferson and Northport too.

After you visit all those expensive yuppie restaurants try this place on the main drag. Best BBQ in NE

http://www.smokehousenewport.com/

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
brokesailor (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all! Chef2Sail I will try Smoke House. Maybe you can be my Cruise Director/Weather Router/Technical Expert!

I already have an issue. Looking at the Weather it appears by Tuesday evening a low pressure system will be crossing New England Waters shifting the winds to the north so I have to be there before then. Probably moving our departure up to this evening with an overnite sail down the Chesapeake-look out for deadheads!!!
Hopefully that would put us in Newport early Tuesday.
Old 06-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wifey, 1 crew and myself cast off on Saturday for Newport R.I. Departing from Solomons, Md. so we have decided with the forecast on Friday to sail down the Bay and out thru the Bay bridge Tunnel.
Once in Newport we plan on staying a couple days then start to work our way back daysailing along the way. Extra crew leaves the boat in Newport so it will be Wifey and I from then on.
Major stops planned: Block Is, Mystic, NYC and Cape May.
I'm sure I'll probably need help along the way so I'll keep you posted. This will be our first coastal cruise.
Looks as if you will have perfect winds for your trip: Today 15-20 knots, gusting to 30 knots, from the North, Saturday with West 10-15 knots, Sunday and Monday - 10-15 knots, gusting to 20, out of the SW.

Do you plan to depart the Bay via the North Channel and honor Nautilus Shoal?

I have the urge to cut inshore, but have always gone out to #2.

You might want to take a straight shot from the Bay entrance to Block Island or Newport. You have roughly 100 n.m. from Solomons to the Bay entrance (20 hrs at 5 knots), then 140 n.m. (28 hrs/48 hrs total) from the Bay to Cape May, then 200 n.m. (40 hrs/88 hrs total) to Montaulk/Block Island. It is roughly 300 n.m. (60 hrs. at 5 knots) from the Bay entrance to Montaulk/Block Island. With ideal conditions, you could make the whole trip in a straight shot in 4 days from Solomons. If you coastal hop with overnights in Cape May and NYC, you will add another 2 days at a minimum.
brokesailor likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 06-14-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-14-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

Thanks James, I'll make sure I honor that #2. Yes I was planning on using the Northern TSZ. We plan on a rhumb line "straight" to Newport. 430 NM at an average speed of 6 KTS- 72 hrs.
BTW I will be able to provide Facebook updates during the trip via my InReach. So if you are bored you can go on FB and like SV Skalliwag page and that way you will have the latest!
Old 06-14-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mark

Time for you guys to do it is coming soon
Dave -
I'm thinking next summer. Our daughter is more or less out of the house, so the time would be right. We'd do it this summer, but I was in HI and CA April & May and have to be there again in Aug/Sep/Oct. I barely have enough time to do Gov Cup. BaaaWaaa... there are much worse problems in life than whining about travel to Hawaii and scheduling time on my boat. It's all good, making a reservation at Marriott Waikiki now.
Old 06-14-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Sounds exciting!

Regards,
Brad
will be in Montauk in a week or two
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 06-15-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

OK latest update: We left Solomons Friday around 1900 and had a terrific sail all night long on different points of sail from a broad reach to close reaching. Beautiful night sky with a gazillion stars.
In the morning went to fire up the stove to make coffee-oh-oh solenoid won't energize. Also the water pump won't shut off with no water leaks. With a caffeine headache attempted to troubleshoot unsuccessfully. Decided to pull into Little Creek to get help. After calling an electrician and leaving a message and no call back troubleshot some more and realized there are also several DC outlets that don't work. (The propane SOV is powered from that same BKR). So we decided to put in a jumper. We go to Radio Shack and got a spare cigarette lighter DC plug, hooked it up the the back of the SOV panel and plugged it into one of the working DC outlets and viola Red Light on SOV Panel. Back in business. So we decide to cast off tomorrow AM. Now here's the problem: the forecast for New England for Tuesday/Weds time frame is 15-20 kt winds from the north. Sounds unpleasant. Would you go?
Old 06-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So we decide to cast off tomorrow AM. Now here's the problem: the forecast for New England for Tuesday/Weds time frame is 15-20 kt winds from the north. Sounds unpleasant. Would you go?
Probably not if it holds. You might as well sail up to Cape May, N.J. The forecast will probably change again. You can always go up the Delaware Bay and cruise down the Chesapeake. There are always new places to explore.
Old 06-15-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Check passageweather.com. It's not what they are showing. Nice work!
Old 06-17-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

How does "Wifey" feel about a three week cruise? We just got back from a one week on the Chesapeake, and my husband wants to up it to two next year. Not sure how I feel about that. A small fridge and small head might drive me crazy!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.