SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Need Help Outfitting for Cruising. :) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/100566-need-help-outfitting-cruising.html)

PsychedChicken 06-18-2013 09:56 PM

Need Help Outfitting for Cruising. :)

Hello Everyone. My husband and I have been working towards running away on a sailboat for years. We have owned numerous smaller vessels and finally upgraded.
We kind of stumbled upon an Ericson 35 Mk II. It was an EXCELLENT deal so we jumped on it. It has been sitting a little while and will need some work, but the more we look at it, the better we realize it is.

It is going to be our first cruising vessel. We are in Florida and are hoping to take it all around the Bahamas, Caribbean, and further eventually. However I am looking for any and all advice for outfitting her for cruising.
It already has a running inboard diesel, small galley (stove/oven and sink) and water tanks (25gallons).

Also and lists (or links to lists) of things we should keep on the boat at all times. Or that you just recommend having on hand....

Looking for any advice, stories, etc... :)
If you have something you think I should know or just want to tell me but isnt relevant to this post. Feel free to message me.

jimgo 06-18-2013 11:30 PM

Re: Need Help Outfitting for Cruising. :)

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your recent addition.

PsychedChicken 06-18-2013 11:53 PM

Thanks! :)
Im looking forward to seeing what there is to see out there.

:D

mark2gmtrans 06-19-2013 12:37 AM

I would look into a small watermaker, if you have not already thought of it. It will make it a whole lot nicer, more showering and so forth.

utchuckd 06-19-2013 10:59 AM

#1 on my list would be adequate ground tackle. Properly sized anchors and rode are the first and best line of safety, imo.

mark2gmtrans 06-19-2013 11:22 AM

Also and lists (or links to lists) of things we should keep on the boat at all times. Or that you just recommend having on hand....

MONEY...hehe, but seriously set up a separate account, maybe two, with debit cards for the boat, I have one that has a visa and one a mastercard, debit cards. When you have to go pay at the bank when clearing into port or exiting to get the zarpe you are going to not want to have to use your main bank account for that on the off chance that someone might try to use it. You set up the accounts, and use online transfers as needed to replenish the accounts.

DRFerron 06-19-2013 11:38 AM

Welcome to SailNet. Here is an article on recommended tools:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/her-sa...ols-board.html

If you look through the threads in this cruising forum, you'll find a lot of useful advice and lists.

Good luck.

PsychedChicken 06-19-2013 01:51 PM

Thanks!!
Lucky, Im not too worried about anchors. My husband has QUITE the collection. However, chain will be another story.
We have been looking into a water maker, and I'm stashing money aside for one, its definitely something I want aboard.
I had never even thought about the money situation either... well thought about it like that at least.

I really appreciate all the input. :)

mark2gmtrans 06-19-2013 02:54 PM

One thing that will always be true, you will find something was forgotten that was a no brainer when considered in hindsight. The best way to avoid that being a huge issue is to start with a sort of shakedown cruise that lasts long enough to help figure out the issues, and does not take you too far from places the issues can be dealt with in a reasonably inexpensive way.

Also, you may want to check out http://www.noonsite.com for information regarding the clearance procedures, and so forth, they list by country and have great information. You probably already know this, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

I am currently stuck on land, between boats, working in the west Texas oilfields and missing the ocean more than you can imagine, so while I am here I enjoy at least being halfway able to be involved in sailing, by posting and talking with others. I have learned a bit over the years, but I am not a super sailor, probably will never be, because I make to many stupid human mistakes LOL.

Mark

PsychedChicken 06-19-2013 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Soo... I received some "feedback" in the chat about not including a picture of the new boat...

It needs some clean up, but here she is. Thats my husband on the boom.