SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Electronics overkill?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  killarney_sailor 
#1 ·
Besides radios, depth-sounder, GPS and Radar is there really any other electronics needed for a lengthy cruise? Just saying, it seems like much is made of the variety, age and condition of a bunch of electronics when talking to brokers. Seems much ado about nothing. Or am I missing something.

#2 ·
Define your 'lengthy cruise'... both in duration and intended destinations. In many area's I'd suggest that radar is not a necessity, nor is GPS however it's a major convenience. I think radio and depth sounder are the basic minimum, a knotmeter is nice to have too for sail trim. I think wind instruments are another 'nice to have' but certainly not necessary.

But there's no denying the convenience of having a plotter screen with your position shown to you.. the risk, of course, is getting too complacent with it all...

Reactions: Alex W
#9 ·
Absolutly 100% must have is:
AIS Transponder
ECN chartplotter/PC etc that runs AIS
VHF
EPIRB
Autopilot.

Not necessary:
Radar
SSB radio

Remember two boats have been lost doing transatlantic this year, one at least looks like it was hit by a ship. You really need AIS its the only thing that can show ships where you are as opposed to showing only you where ships are.

Mark

#5 ·
Some I would not consider necessary but rather an increase in safety margin. Radar is essential if you are sailing at night or in fog. AIS is helpful mainly to contact commercial boats to determine intentions. A spare GPS and radio are not a bad idea. In the absence of a GPS, a knotmeter is very useful.

For a crossing I would not go without some redundancy in the systems above and also an AIS transceiver, Epirb and either Sat phone or SSB(or HAM)

You will also want a portable VHF for the ditch bag.

#6 ·
I will definitely carry a spare handheld GPS and VHF. Haven't decided about SSB or SAT-Phone. I'm guessing SSB would allow weather faxes. Haven't researched weather via SAT-Phone.

#7 ·
Offshore/trans-ocean, definitely a different wish list.. I'll leave it to the local resident experts here :)

#8 ·
For the trip you are considering I would suggest, roughly in order of importance (start spending at the top and stop when you run out of money).

- electronic nav system, either plotter or laptop-based
- not sure what you are doing for steering, but autopilot would go here if you go this way
- VHF
- good barometer, I am including it since I like the electronic kind (I have a Weems and Plath)
- AIS transceiver, really useful
- some way to get weather, either SSB or sat phone
- backup self steering, we have a vane for primary with electric for backup
- backup nav (we have an iPad, not just for this, with Navionics Gold charts, also gives you a backup GPS), at least a cheap GPS and enough paper charts to get you to the next stop
- backup VHF, handheld is fine
- radar (would be higher if you were going to an area where fog is common, not needed at night, eyes work fine), we rarely use our radar, mainly to see if there is a way around storm cells

Reactions: Faster
#10 ·
OK. I think I have a sensible, but short list of electronics.
EPIRB a given. Should be required.
I'm thinking windvane over autopilot.
And while AIS sees ships it doesn't see squalls.
Though I will probably get an AIS transciever to interface with PC-based GPS Chart plotter. Seems like sensible redundancy.
Depth gauge
VHF x 2
SSB or sat phone
Handheld GPS
Radar (Unless I can be convinced it can be comfortably replaced by AIS)

#13 ·
I enjoy having my radar, GPS and depthsounder, but we did coastal cruising from North Florida to the Keys and the Bahamas for twenty years without these. We always had the VHF, but we never had an occasion to use it in an emergency. We did use a lead line and an RDF.

#14 ·
Seems like there's very little use of VHF/CH16 in the Caribbean chain....

#16 ·
Compared with the USA you can say that in spades. But that doesnt mean theres tooooo little in the Caribbean. It more likely means theres quite a LOT in the USA!

I 'spose folks wanna get their moneys worth for the $200 VHF from Westmarine. They do that.

(and you'd think the Coast Guard paid more for theirs! Cant keep them off it. And where did they learn to talk that fast... can you guys understand them? I canna!)

#17 · (Edited)
Sounds like you need to check out this thread, starting about here....http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...uard-rescues-4-sailors-off-charleston-11.html ;)

.....(and you'd think the Coast Guard paid more for theirs! Cant keep them off it. And where did they learn to talk that fast... can you guys understand them? I canna!)
Can't always understand them, but to my annoyance I can usually hear CG group Puget Sound warning me of dredging or whatnot in Anacortes when I'm 100NM away in Desolation Sound!! :(
.. every 15 minutes!! :( :(

Reactions: jrd22
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.