Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013

bill1974 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bicycle on Sailboat

If you don't know them check wisper electric bicycles.I have a 905 city which is super.But it is not foldable.

They have also foldables for yachts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road

We carry two Dahon folding bikes, each with its own storage bag. They are stored in the shower which keeps them out of the way except when we shower aboard then they rest temporarily on the aft berth.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 07-04-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
Although easier to store, the push scooters would be problematic and accident prone if the area does not have decent roads or sidewalks. Carrying provisions may also be difficult as they offer no place to mount a rack.

I remember trying my kids Razor scooter. Hitting the smallest rock or crack would toss you over the handlebars. A broken wrist or arm could be devastating.
These scooters have much larger wheels than the kids' version, so cracks etc are less of an issue. You raise a valid point with carrying capacity; we found that although we could put bags on the handlebars, it affected stability, and we were better off putting our groceries in our backpacks. Admittedly, I'd love bicycles if we could fit them, which is just not possible in our situation. The scooters were the best compromise we could find, and they had a unique bit of fun all their own. Started a *lot* of fun conversations with other cruisers as well.
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
The Following User Says Thank You to wingNwing For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-05-2013

I think in youtube there are many new inventions in portable bicycles make a search.
Old 07-05-2013

Location: Boat is in a slip at Kentucky Lake; we live in Clarksville, TN
SunnnyD is on a distinguished road

I have done a bit of research on the folding bikes; they look pretty feasible; I would assume that the most difficult challenge besides storage is just getting them out of the boat and in to the dingy for transport to shore depending on how the transom is laid out and how much freeboard you have... I wonder if anyone has tried modifying a bike rack from a car to mount on their boat? That might eliminate a few of these issues all at once as long as it could stay relatively dry somehow. I guess it depends on how much use you get out of them.
Old 07-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Pricey, but the real deal, if you plan to go biking and need more than transport for provisions. Real size bikes and fold into a suitcase.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-mountain-bikes/

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-05-2013

those are super take the one for military use, the official bicycle of paratroopers.
Old 07-05-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

they even have folding pedals for storage. I am sold!

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 07-05-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
These scooters have much larger wheels than the kids' version, so cracks etc are less of an issue. You raise a valid point with carrying capacity; we found that although we could put bags on the handlebars, it affected stability, and we were better off putting our groceries in our backpacks. Admittedly, I'd love bicycles if we could fit them, which is just not possible in our situation. The scooters were the best compromise we could find, and they had a unique bit of fun all their own. Started a *lot* of fun conversations with other cruisers as well.

After some research, I see some powered (gas/ele) scooters come with a seat and mountable cargo basket. I agree, with the larger pneumatic wheels, shocks, and a basket for the grog...this becomes a very feasible option! Some of the electric models are advertising ~15 miles per charge (which probably means 7-8 in the real world). This is very interesting when coupled with a solar charging station on the mothership...Now if I can only find one that simulates the Harley rumble!
Old 07-05-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i still use my 21 speed mountain bike with small frame--lol i can jump curbs and do cobblestone streets easily...
elspru likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-08-2013)