Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomons, MD Marina

Check out the Maritime museum while you're there. Eat at Stoney's, have a cold one at the Tiki Hut, walk the boardwalk and continue around the point, enjoy the island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

You might want to check this out Solomons Island - The Official Solomons Maryland Visitors Guide

Gary
Old 06-27-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Stop in Southern MD Sailing association on friday after 5pm for happy hour. Tiki bar, the Peir, stony's, etc. Little shops to walk around and shop, also if you like BBQ I like boomerangs.

Ruddy duck is good but takes a while. All the fast food joints takes 30 minutes to get your food. No one seems to be in a hurry down there.
Old 06-27-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Here is something I wrote last month to someone coming up the bay.

Number 2 as you head up the bay would be a stop in Solomons. The tiki bar and a trip to the ice cream shop on the boardwalk would be a nice side trip. Other suggestions would be to visit the musuem by the lighthouse. I use to liveaboad at the marina(Beacon Marina) and the dock had a birdseye view of that lighthouse and the museum. During the summers there are some major bands that play there about once a month. To get away from the crowds, take a sail under the bridge up the Patuxent River. After you go around Pt. Patience make a left into Cuckhold/Mill Creek. As you enter the creek, Cuckhold will go to your right while Mill will be to your left. Anchor in Mill Creek and dinghy to shore where there is a little sand beach. At least there was one about 5 years ago. I've tied up the dinghy there and hiked/ran the trails there in the small park. Early in the morning I've come across a half dozen deer as I ran the 3 mile trail loop. One other stop up the Patuxent is St Leonard Creek, good deep anchorage with some nice views. Vera's White Sands restaurant about 4 miles from the entrance was always an interesting stop and she was an interesting woman having been some sort of starlite in the 1930's. She has long passed away and not even sure if the restaurant is still in operation. It had palm trees surrounding the restaurant and many decorations from her trips into India and elsewhere. I'll just mention one other side trip and that is a trip to visit the Sotterly Plantation which has guided tours. I've anchored in St Leonard's Creek and taken the dinghy out of the creek and across the Patuxent to the Sotterly warf(almost directly across from the St Leanoard's creek entrance) and tied up the dinghy and walked about a quarter of a mile up a dirt road to the plantation. Worth the trip
Old 06-27-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Net0man,

Where in Deale? We're at HHN. Have made the trip to Deale a couple times. We usually anchor in Mill Creek. No pool, but quiet and solid holding - even in the Derecho last year. We really liked the marina and walking along the strand. Others have mentioned good restaurants to try.

We were thinking about Solomons or St Mary's for the 4th, but the forecast southerly winds might be too light and contrary for us to make the run. Especially since the (very) early forecast for Sunday the 7th is for high pressure and little to no wind. Will probably head across to Choptank in search of fireworks and cool creeks to swim in.

Look us up if you're at herrington.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-27-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road

PaperBird,

Hey neighbor. Yes, our club boat is at HHN too. What source do you read for forecast winds? I use windfinder.com and it does not forecast further than next Thursday, July 4th. My wife and I are new at sailing and we decided to go to some places than return home on a same day. We are kinda concerned if there is enough wind for us to get to Solomon's on July 4th and return on 6th. Did you decide to go to Choptank because there may be more winds?
Old 06-28-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

We end up using a lot of sources - none all that reliable. Windfinder, NOAA, Wunderground are all on the usual reading list. We've actually come to trust NOAA and Wunderground mostly.

Most of the sites are calling for SSW for the fourth then high pressure moving in for the weekend, meaning light to no wind. So Solomons will be reachable, but will mean tacking down the Bay. Sunday, the return will likely be motoring unless you've got a lightair boat (we don't).

So we're planning on heading across to the Choptank for several days. We don't tend to go to marinas much. We much prefer anchoring out, swimming in the creeks, dinghying around, etc. The boat just doesn't feel right tied up to a dock. We sleep better on the hook than in a marina. Yeah - we're weird.

The Choptank does have a couple great marina type destinations - Oxford and Cambridge come to mind. Or the Eastern Bay and St Michaels. All have great eats, pools, etc.

Either way - I agree with the notion of staying out and not coming back!!

We'll be at HHN this weekend. We'll going out Sat for a bit to mess around and get some diesel, but otherwise have some projects we'll be working on. Come on over to C dock and say hello. Boat name is also Paperbird. We can swap stories (lies) and compare notes.

best
greg
Old 07-03-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road

PaperBird,

It was great meeting and chatting with you briefly. You have a really nice boat. Is it a Morgan center cockpit? Anyway, my wife and I have planned for the Solomons trip and we are excited. We will leave at sunrise so we have the day to get there. Happy fourth of July.

Tad
chrisd4700 likes this.
Old 07-03-2013

chrisd4700 is on a distinguished road

Spring Cove is one of our all time favorite marina's. Trevor and Liz will give you top notch service. Their son Will is fantastic as well. The Calvert Marine Museum is a great place to visit. We are going back to Spring Cove in a few weeks. We come up from Lauderdale to stay there at least once a summer. You made a great choice. I visited Zanheiszer's and had dinner in the restaurant on someone's suggestion. Worst service I've ever received. The bartender talked on her cellphone the entire time we sat there. Anyway... Spring Cove it great. Visit the Tiki Hut and ask Drew to make you a Dark and Stormy.
Have fun!
Chris D.
s/v Vacilando
Vacilando : A man, a woman, a dog, and a sailboat. Follow us as we write about hopes, dreams, love, travel, and life aboard Vacilando, our Cal 35.
Old 07-05-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

You got recommendations on the two best marinas in Solomon's. I hope you like Spring Cove: it's where I get all my service done. Visiting wise, the Marina museum, Stoney's and Ruddy Duck are good places, as are the ice cream shop on the boardwalk and the boardwalk itself. I really don't like the atmosphere of the Tiki Bar and don't recommend it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.