Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road
Re: Solomons, MD Marina

Good morning. We are at Spring Cove Marina and its a real nice place. Their staff are very helpful. The trip we had from Herrington Bay to Solomons was HELL.

My wife and I left our home dock at around 9:30 am. The wind from south was over 10 knots all day and the waves were from 2 to 5 feet. I think it was too much for our club boat 25 hunter. We had difficult time tacking and jibing. It took us 8 hours to sail to Kenwood Beach. We were exhausted and decided to fire up the boat's motor. We used the motor for 4 hours then we ran out of gas when we passed the Little Cove Point.

Luckily we are insured with BoatUS. We called their towing service and had them tow us to finish the trip. The tow lasted 45 minutes. Hallelujah, we made the trip but we were in over our head when we planned the trip.

There were staff lend us an electrical cord because we didn't bring ours. They brought us a full 5 gallons gas can! We have a porta potty in the club boat and we couldn't figure how to take off the top half and remove the bottom from the floor. So, the staff volunteered to perform the task and showed me how to do it. He also poured out and washed out the bottom potty. Again, the Spring Cove Marina is awesome. We are very grateful that we made the trip safely and we have helpful people at the marina.

My concern is about returning to our home dock tomorrow. I will need to study the wind forecast more closely. Is there a forecast for waves? We thought about making a stop on way back so we don't have to stretch ourselves to finish the LONG return trip. What marina do you recommend to stop for a night?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Sounds like not much fun, consider getting to know the boat better before taking off on a few day cruise. (the fact that you didn't know how to clean the porta potty is a pretty good indicater ) Always have an alternate plan. Sailing a boat you're not familiar with in those conditions yesterday that far was a bit foolish IMO. You put yourself and guest in an unnecessary circumstance, just something to think about next time. You want everyone to enjoy themselves.

Fortunately your ride back should be much better with the wind behind you
Old 07-06-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road

I agree with you, Chef.

The return sail trip is MUCH better! Last night, my wife and I had to prepare for the trip back home. We realized that our club boat's mainsail has a tear. We had to use the other resources; jib and motor. We went to get more gas for the 12 gallons tank. We were surprised that it was not empty. It only needed 5 gallons. IMO, the reason that engine gave out twice on the first trip is the gas flow from the tank to engine was interrupted when we were motoring against the current (3-5 foot waves).

We met a wonderful coupe who have lots of sailing experience. They are retired and they currently live in their trawler. They and we shared our scary sailing experience. They offered their support and that rebuilt my confidence in sailing. We read the marine forecast more closely and we knew that today would be much better to sail than 2 days ago.

Today, the trip back home took us 6.5 hours! The wind was blowing 7-9 mph from SW and we were sailing beam reach or broad reach along with the motor. The current was also pushing us back home. The waves were like 2 foot. Today was a real good day to sail.

I agree that I was foolish for getting ahead of myself but I learned a lot by learning the HARD way. Next time, I'll plan better and be more realistic.
Old 07-06-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

The Calvert Maritime Museum excels. We like bicycling about the area on our folding bikes. We've stayed at Zahnhisers, Beacon Marine, and Spring Cove, but our favorite is Solomons Harbor Marina behind the Holiday Inn- all of the best amnities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 07-09-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Glad you made it back safely. And learned a couple great (hard) lessons along the way. Everyone who sails has to learn those lessons sometime. Over time, the stories will get better and better, the waves larger, the wind stronger, etc. And don't forget the sharks that were circling the boat... ;-)

It was great to meet you guys at the dock. Hopefully the first of many sailing trips! Take care and keep on learning.
Old 07-12-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

the calverton museum and the wood boat shop is an
interesting place.