Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

tonyhoff is on a distinguished road
On The Hook in the PNW

I'm wondering if anyone out there lives on the hook in the Puget Sound. I find myself facing it as a kind of looming possibility in the near future.

Thanks,
Tony
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Re: On The Hook in the PNW

Not seeing any response to your question, may I respectfully ask what YOUR experience is in sailing in and around the Puget Sound AO? My wife and I will be moving down there at the end of the Summer and I'd like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind.

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 07-11-2013

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Tony

Im in the San Juan islands. It would be easy to live on the hook around here in the summer, winter might be a bit difficult with the weather but it is do able. Im in Deer Harbor at Deer Harbor Marina on Orcas Island. This marina has very inexpensive winter storage rates and there are a few mooring balls that could be rented cheaply in the winter as well.
There is a store at the marina here as well as a store at the ferry landing on Orcas. Both are accesable by boat and both have Beer

There's alot of good people here and if you get to this area id be happy to show you around
Old 07-11-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I listen I watch I hope. hope for more information that is ..

Courtney Kirchoff I think is the name of a lady in seattle who decided to move onto a boat and live mostly on the hook a few years back. she wrote about it did a blog. might not be a lot of information but hopefully at least a little information.

Living Aboard | Courtney Kirchoff
Old 07-12-2013

tonyhoff is on a distinguished road

Dave:

The sailing in Puget Sound tends to be pretty blustery in the summer with winds coming and going all day. It usually picks up in a nice blow in the early evening when the land starts to cool off. The winter brings more consistant winds and quite a bit of rain. I've been a liveaboard for a year and a half, but haven't been able to sail much other than a couple trips to Tacoma and back in july and march.

Mitch:

Sounds good! Things are looking better for me, but that sounds like a good option up North there. I guess it's a game of cat and mouse with the coast guard. Probably have to dodge around a bit if a person isn't on a mooring or in a slip.

-Tony
Old 07-12-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I don't think they care that much. I've watched a guy hos been there 9 years and hooked a derelict boat he got cheap or free and so finally someone on sure complained and the sheriff has been kicking him out for months and he hasn't left. Just keep you boat sail ready and sail it sometimes and make it look clean.
Old 07-28-2013

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Tony,
As someone already mentioned, I lived for 5 months of the year on the hook on my Islander 30. More cities are cracking down on liveaboards, and the bay I moored in primarily, Liberty Bay, was in one such city. They now are enforcing laws stating that boats can only be anchored for 30 consecutive days at maximum and then, after 30 days, must leave the area and anchor at least five miles away. How they ensure you've anchored five miles away is beyond me, but Liberty Bay has cracked down on derelict boats, and swept the decent liveaboards in the process.

If you're going to live on the hook, you'll have to be a transient and move around often. There are plenty of decent anchorages around here, but if you have a land life including work/family, living on the hook will be difficult. And only crazy people live on the hook in winter! Fortunately, to snag income during the off season, plenty of marinas open up winter moorage to transient boats. Yay for shore power and no-dinghy-driving in the rain.