Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road
Re: Miss Liberty vs the landlubbing haters!

(to a rap beat)
They see me trollin', They hatin'
SailNet posters they tryin' to catch me boatin dirty...

~Paraphrased from Chamillionaire's "Ridin Dirty"

still, ate up 30 minutes of a boring night at work!

Last edited by Grunthrie; 07-26-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013

captmetatron is on a distinguished road

Hehehe! "Boatin' Dirty" So, anyways, I could use some help/advice... (Haters, here it is, you were right, I'm gonna come begging for something!?!?!) I'm really not good with basic math, might be a learning disability or years of booze, but I like to get a second opinion ... I'm trying to work out when it will go from a very low tide to a very high tide at Anclote Key, Florida. I will most likely need to float her at that time. That way I have to put less mechanical effort into lifting the keel, I'll let the tides do most of the work, plus, unless I am mistaken, I can be sure she's afloat before putting lift to the keel, I don't want to swamp her by listing her too far. I figure I'll have the most room for error at that point in the tide so I want to try to coordinate my efforts to coincide with that time...
Old 07-27-2013

I've used that pulling the mast technique sort of, we swung a weighted boom out to heel my buddie's 32 Morgan off a submerged sand bar in Clearwater inlet (when we were first learning the waters, ICW is great for powerboaters, not so much for sail, although there are some friendly old salts around always willing to help a fellow mariner... Unfortunately Libby doesn't have a mast anymore, she lost it in Debby .... I've had a string of particularly bad luck in the past year and a half. When Debby hit, even though it was just a tropical storm, it dropped like 2 and a half FEET of water on us in some ridiculously short period of time, I think an hour. Libby weathered that fine, right up until a tornado developed on Island Estates, curved out into the Mandalay Channel, and headed for Caladesi Island, hitting nothing, except Libby. A piece of the mast foot gave way and the mast toppled. The only reason we were headed north to begin with was to take her to Crystal River, where her new mast and repairs awaited I chose to tow her up because her electric engine installation was unfinished,, I figured I'd finish it while the rest was being worked on. The boat I was towing her up there with developed an issue with the motor, which is why I dropped anchor on Libby there, she would have been perfectly fine there, and I would just come back and get her when I'd resolved the other boat's issue, ( turned out to be a fuse)
Old 07-27-2013
Dinkin' Around

So, now it's Debby? Get your storms/story straight, man! Still no after pics of 'your' boat...
Old 07-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetatron View Post
I'm really not good with basic math, might be a learning disability or years of booze, but I like to get a second opinion ... I'm trying to work out when it will go from a very low tide to a very high tide at Anclote Key, Florida.
Click on this link
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/geo...cation=8726724

Clearwater seems to be the closest tide station to you.

Click on tide predictions and/or extremes on the left
Pick your date and just read the tide for that day.

If this doesn't make sense just ask a question or two and we can explain how to read the graph but if you study it a bit it you may be able to make it out.

No math required.

Sorry for you loss.

Many of the guys and gals here have decades of boating experience. We have doctors, lawyers, accountants and probably every trade possible.

You might have the best luck focusing on specific questions rather than your story. What happened is done anyway and if you need information this is the place to come.

If you have multiple questions you will get better results if you start a new thread for each specific question.

Good luck
Slayer likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
captmetatron (07-30-2013)
Old 07-27-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

The boat looks okay to me, I don't see what everybody is complaining about.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to be funny but it's had to believe if you showed up with a case of beer, you will have all the help you need.

I'm not sure the condition of the boat but it sounds like its going to cost alot of time and $$$ to get it sea worthy again. If you have the means to fix it: great if not you might want to think about how much more hassle its going to cause you.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 07-29-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetatron View Post
When Debby hit, even though it was just a tropical storm, it dropped like 2 and a half FEET of water on us in some ridiculously short period of time, I think an hour.
Another one to add to the list of idiotic exaggerations! Not to mention (since someone else already did) that you've decided to change storms.

Oh yeah, and it takes about a minute on the internet to find the tracks of all of the tornadoes spawned by Debby, none of which "developed on Island Estates" or "curved out into the Mandalay Channel." In fact, it appears that the nearest tornado to that area was in the neighborhood of 15 or so miles away.

Then the one that I really had to laugh out loud about. Here we have a guy who calls himself "Capt," but doesn't know how to read a tide chart. I mean, really?

This is getting to be just too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
You might have the best luck focusing on specific questions rather than your story.
Yeah, but... He doesn't really HAVE any specific questions! All he's got is this silly, changing, incredible story. Don't you see? He's not here to get answers to questions. He just wants to spin a yarn. Practice his story telling. That sort of thing. It's really getting kind of entertaining, trying to guess what impossible situation he might come up with next.

Last edited by denverd0n; 07-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2013
Dinkin' Around

Okay don, I'll take the bait:
It was actually andrew, and it took his keel and rudder along with his mast. Then the white zionist conspiracy headed by PCSO broadcast the location of his crock-boat to a flotilla of crack salvagers hopped up on methamphetamines with sufficient hardware and craft to hoist 15 tons of chain and a smallish sportsbar worth of hardware from his floating ctorage shed.
Old 07-30-2013

Update : scored approximately 18 40 gallon plastic drums as of Wednesday, I'll go see if they're suitable for the outrigger idea, and also a floating work platform might be handy to have nearby, just some plywood decking. What I am looking for is a pattern in the very low tide to very high tide, to give me an idea of when to schedule everything, get all the equipment together in a timely manner and be ready to take advantage of it. Of course I can read a tide chart, Even the thing I mention is actually almost pure speculation the tides will most likely coincide mostly with the predictions, but I just thought it might be fun to play along, be included, and the more educated guesses, the better a chance of it being at least close, hehehe!

Tags
abandoned boats , ferrocement , florida west coast , legal , miss liberty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.