Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013

captmetatron is on a distinguished road
Re: Miss Liberty vs the landlubbing haters!

Some people persist with the financial disparity. I know sailing is the sport of kings, and nowdays it seems that you need the national bank of abu shaving to afford to participate. I. am not rich.monetarily. I have good friends who want to help. They help me for several reaaons, amongst them the fact that I have most likely helped them. And most likely will again.Uplift in your community, even if only for the most selfish of reasons, that if those in your community ate well off you are sure to benefit by proxy as well.Many of my neighbors think that both I and the Miss Liberty are Clearwater Beach Icons, and often help out for no other reason.She can be resurected, I am a fairly healthy man of 41 who's been around a bit. I don't have a PhD in sailology, I don't know everything, or even close, but I got around a little, I learned enough to handle her myself. There was already lots of work to be done, but I'm prettycapableIm pretty sure I can do it. If the roof blew off your house, you don't just abandon the house, say "oh well " and walk away, you fix it, usually, using that which remains that's structurally sound. The Sailors used to repair damage to their ships at sea and on strange coasts I see no reason it cannot be done. I am planning to sail in Gasparilla this next February. I don't have the money specifically to pull it all off yet, but some dear friends have gone out of their way to throw me some work, and usually pay me even a little more than the jobs are worth, be aide everyone wants us back, and so. Back we will be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetatron View Post
I am planning to sail in Gasparilla this next February. I don't have the money specifically to pull it all off yet, but some dear friends have gone out of their way to throw me some work, and usually pay me even a little more than the jobs are worth, be aide everyone wants us back, and so. Back we will be.
Good luck.
Where did you get the drums
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
captmetatron (08-01-2013)
Old 07-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

there is a fine line between "icon" and "blight".
Hate to burst your ego, but if you're getting fined because you don't/can't/won't take care of your boat, you're not an icon.

It ain't about finances. it's about seamanship and caring about/for your vessel. Your boat has been aground for months, and you're just getting around to giving a crap about doing something about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Hate to burst your ego, but if you're getting fined because you don't/can't/won't take care of your boat, you're not an icon.

It ain't about finances. it's about seamanship and caring about/for your vessel. Your boat has been aground for months, and you're just getting around to giving a crap about doing something about it.
I suspect he was fined and sentenced to jail time because the pictured boat in this thread is a gross misrepresentation of what it actually looked like when the LEO's began fining him.

It sounds like it was basically a mast-less floating storage unit & not anything close to a sail boat when the LEO's came down on him. I don't blame the city for wanting an eyesore & potential pollution issue off their waters. As always, it appears it is someone's fault but the person doing the crime.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-30-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Hang on...

Blight + Icon= Beacon. I got it!!! Let's put a flashing red light on there and all is good.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-30-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetatron View Post
Update : scored approximately 18 40 gallon plastic drums as of Wednesday, I'll go see if they're suitable for the outrigger idea, and also a floating work platform might be handy to have nearby, just some plywood decking. What I am looking for is a pattern in the very low tide to very high tide, to give me an idea of when to schedule everything, get all the equipment together in a timely manner and be ready to take advantage of it. Of course I can read a tide chart, Even the thing I mention is actually almost pure speculation the tides will most likely coincide mostly with the predictions, but I just thought it might be fun to play along, be included, and the more educated guesses, the better a chance of it being at least close, hehehe!
Haven't you been boating in the area for like 5 years, seems you would be familiar with the tides.
Old 07-31-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure which is funnier; the tall tale or that some of you continue to ask legit questions

This is all farce, full of wild nonsense and errors of fact
Old 07-31-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, really. In his mind he's a "captain" and an "icon." I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of the people who are forced to interact with him would use different terms.

Still, it is entertaining, isn't it? I'm especially amused by how skilled he is at avoiding any acknowledgment of all of the lies and exaggerations that he's been caught in. What could be next?
Old 08-01-2013

The barrels contained laundry soap for one of the big hotels here, essentially it costs them to be rid of them as they take up room in their dumpster, so they let me have 'em for nothing.
Old 08-01-2013

I can read a tide chart just fine. Tide charts are a prediction, not a fact and in particular I'm looking for an extreme low tide followed by an extreme high tide, not just a low tide followed by a high tide, and even the best guess as to when that will happen is still just a GUESS, so I'd like to hear as many educated guesses as possible ...

Tags
abandoned boats , ferrocement , florida west coast , legal , miss liberty