Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014

olysux is on a distinguished road
Re: How much maintenance and repair, really?

good info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking and Looking View Post

2) IF you are not comfortable "working" on things yourself DO NOT BUY A BOAT!!! When you go sailing to the Bahamas and get 50 miles off shore and can't fix it yourself, or at least make it so you can continue on in "limp home mode"... The Coast Guard is NOT triple AAA.

I agree. There are only two kinds of people who should own boats.

One, the self reliant kind who likes to learn new skills, and whose first thought when something goes wrong, is to roll up his sleeves, get out his tools and fix it.

The second kind is the multi-millionaire, who has completely unlimited funds for flying people and parts into where ever he is, whenever something breaks.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-17-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

there is a third kind...
those of us out here doing it for not a lot of money.
each boat and each owner is different.
each boat takes a different amount of money to maintain. each owner spends a different amount of money for same repairs..lol that is the fun of this.
you can figger anything out from the safety and warmth of an office and desk.
it is a whole different story once you are living the lifestyle in reality.
i have yet to find the reality, alleged, of many of the prices you guys come up with for repairing stuff.
my costs are and have been so much less yet excellent repairs have been done.
of course there is the unmentionable repair guy here who will not repair an engine for less than 10,000 usd..lol.....i found better for much much less...lol but that is another story...i dont use the scam artists posing as repair guys..i did fall once, but there aint gonna be a second time, thankyou.

in many places there are native souls who do repairs better than that gringo scammer...lol... and machine shops and motor rewinders shops and everything...omy they even have electronix and repair thereof.... wow... dont have to "limp home"-- fix as you travel.
aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 02-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a third kind...
those of us out here doing it for not a lot of money.
each boat and each owner is different.
each boat takes a different amount of money to maintain. each owner spends a different amount of money for same repairs..lol that is the fun of this.
you can figger anything out from the safety and warmth of an office and desk.
it is a whole different story once you are living the lifestyle in reality.
i have yet to find the reality, alleged, of many of the prices you guys come up with for repairing stuff.
my costs are and have been so much less yet excellent repairs have been done.
of course there is the unmentionable repair guy here who will not repair an engine for less than 10,000 usd..lol.....i found better for much much less...lol but that is another story...i dont use the scam artists posing as repair guys..i did fall once, but there aint gonna be a second time, thankyou.

in many places there are native souls who do repairs better than that gringo scammer...lol... and machine shops and motor rewinders shops and everything...omy they even have electronix and repair thereof.... wow... dont have to "limp home"-- fix as you travel.
The only two things I have had to get someone else to repair was recharging the AC ($160) and flashing the generator ($250 - his minimum charge although it only took him ten minutes to do it) and sewing a rip in my mainsail ($70 because I just didn't feel like sewing it by hand myself, but I could have because I've done it before) . I can now flash the generator myself, but I'll still call an HVAC guy next time the AC needs work.

Everything else, I figure out myself. I do have the advantage of having a really good marine engine mechanic's phone number who has talked me through some interesting repairs (I watched him repair a burned out starter from loose pieces of wire he had in his tool box).

But, I've been running less than new boats my whole life, and there are few things that can break on one, that I haven't seen break. And, I grew up on a farm, where my Dad pretty much made us fix anything we broke.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-17-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i would love to be able to continue doing by self...but hands are deteriorating noticeably, so i need to farm some stuff out....
so far my complete rebuild is under 900 usdollars,and i only still need parts...the rebuild kit of whatever sort and sleeves and gasket kit...
unfortunately we have no stamped/imprinted engine numbers to deal with....and my book is not identical to my engine....so we looking all over mexico and wherever else we need to look...
injector pump rebuild was three items rebuilt and rebuilder charged me 2975 pesos..lol lift, injector pump plus rebuild the heat exchanger for transmission.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 02-17-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I've owned badly maintained old, slightly maintained old, brand new, and now a so-so maintained older lady.

Every one of them took as much as I had and good have used more; and until now other than warranty work on the new boat I've never hired out any of it.
I have a basic visceral level need to know how to fix everything on board, and to know when to fix it.

Pulling the rig on a 38 footer and replacing it and the chain plates, not in my list of abilities. I'm pulling the plates and doing the grunt labor of grinding, epoxying and fairing the new ones in but only because my work will be checked by professionals. I'll be doing all the fiberglass and wood joinery work to rebuild the inside (the plates on an Irwin are embedded in the hull). I can't bear the thought of paying someone 100 an hour to splooge epoxy on and then sand/grind it to shape and fair.
Especially when that someone is a kid I saw working at the grocery store this past winter who is obviously yard help / a summer hire.

I've had cruisers stop in at my dock for days, and sometimes weeks so they can catch up on maintenance and allow mail order stuff to catch up so they can do that maintenance. I've had locals drop in for a day and do the same. Maintenance and or upgrades never end nor should they.
Old 02-19-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Most mornings are spent doing boat chores of some kind or another. If you don't like messing about in boats you won't like voyaging.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Most mornings are spent doing boat chores of some kind or another. If you don't like messing about in boats you won't like voyaging.
Or anything else on them. A couple I know delivered boats for 20 years, everything from broken down sailboats, to brand new yachts straight from the factory. Their favorite saying was that they learned that they could be delivering a 30 year old, broken down Chris Craft, or a million dollar yacht, straight from the factory, and the odds of something important breaking seemed to be about even.

Old 05-30-2014

Bejasus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
If you want to keep cost under control, sail the smallest, simplest boat you can stand to live on. You'll see the same sunset as the guy on the Perini Navi, and you'll have time to take a look instead of managing a yard crew or having your head in the bilge.

Trust me, the guy on the Perini Navi won't be caring about the costs. If he did, he wouldn't have a Perini Navi.

Old 05-30-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

To quote BlJones : "In any event, a good solid rule of thumb is to allow 20% of the purchase budget for immediate maintenance, then set aside that amount every year for ongoing stuff.
you may not use it some years, in which case you can shuffle those funds over to the "improvements" budget, which , for some reason, always seems to run short."

I can't offer better advice than this. I bought my 40K boat 3 years ago, and spent 25% in the first year, 20% in the second, and 15% in the third. That's for maintenance and upgrades, doing most things myself, but I paid for bottom work and a re-rig. The boat's essentially had a partial refit.

I expect the long term expense to level out at 10 to 15% per year, that's for maintenance, including a haulout for bottom paint every 2 years (and something else always seems to pop up), and the odd upgrade.

At some point in the future the dreaded engine replacement is likely... better have saved up some funds by then!

So far, the boat has appreciated slightly, or is at least holding its value.

Last edited by MarkSF; 05-30-2014 at 01:52 PM.