Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road
How much maintenance and repair, really?

I'm new here and have been reading through the forums; much is written about maintenance and repair. The visions I have in my head are that something(s) break(s) every day and a couple nights each week you need to sleep with a finger plugging a leak through the hull. Is a 40ft sailboat that much more work to maintain than a 3,500 sqft, house on, say, 3 acres?

How about examples of what broke this week (or should this be month) and how you fixed it, i.e. yourself or a pro or didn't yet. And cost if you don't mind sharing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: How much maintenance and repair, really?

Yup. Things on water take a constant beating. But I think that you are also hearing from people that are essentially restoring old boats project by project. That gives the illusion that things are suddenly breaking. In the case of my boat, I'm slowly addressing things that are 34 years in the making. My list is long.
Old 07-17-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

If you buy a moder, fiberglass boat there is little mmaintenance.
If you buy an old ****-locker there is a LOT of maintenance. However those people on junk piles will tell you I am wring.

But see threads like this: Pros and cons of steel sailboats
300 posts to justify a pile of rust!

Mark
Old 07-17-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Yes. Get a survey of the boat and then you should (to some extent) know what to expect.
Old 07-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Okay, neo, I am going to give you the answer to absolutely every sailboat question, from navigation to rigging to construction to maintenance...
Ready?

Here it is:

It depends.

if you buy a $10K boat sight unseen for $5K , expect to do $5k in work. But, if you do your due diligence, crawl the online classifieds daily, have cash in hand and a surveyor on call, or at least a solid working knowledge of boats and associated gear, enough to sift the chaff from the wheat, then you may get lucky.

In any event, a good solid rule of thumb is to allow 20% of the purchase budget for immediate maintenance, then set aside that amount every year for ongoing stuff.
you may not use it some years, in which case you can shuffle those funds over to the "improvements" budget, which , for some reason, always seems to run short.

another way to look at it is:
What does maintaining a boat cost?
What do you have in your pocket after you have paid for a mooring or dockage and living expenses?
That money is your maintenance budget- no more, no less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013

Neosec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In any event, a good solid rule of thumb is to allow 20% of the purchase budget for immediate maintenance, then set aside that amount every year for ongoing stuff.
Thanks for the replies all. I know this is like trying to define how far is up.

does that 20% annually mean doing the work yourself, having a marina do it or a combination of the two?
Let me guess... it depends.
For the DIYer 5-10% covers it, for the unhandy 25-30%. Then there are those that have one working head out of two, for years on end and claim not to spend even 10% on maintenance. I know everyone is different and has very different expectations. To each his own, and rightly so. I should probably avoid a boat because I don't like to have anything not operating the way it should. And that will likely run me broke, drive me insane or more likely, both.
Old 07-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
I should probably avoid a boat because I don't like to have anything not operating the way it should. And that will likely run me broke, drive me insane or more likely, both.
Oh, hell no.

You're never gonna survive unless you get a little bit crazy.

Buy a boat.
Buy the best boat you can find with 80% of your boatbuying budget.
Then spend $250 or so on the nigel calder library and the don casey library.

Then start dealing with the maintenance issues that need to be addressed to makeyour boat legal- yes, buying life jackets and in-date flare shells IS maintenance.
Then figure out what jobs yu need to accomplished soonest, while sailing your boat.

If you are unsure about inspecting a boat yourself, if you find assembling IKEA bookshelves daunting, then hire a surveyor to look a solid prospect over.

(Yeah, i know some think that the $500 survey cost on a $5K boat is folly, but if it prevents you from buying a boat that needs $2K more work than you expected... which is $2K beyond your budget... the math works.)
make your list, check it twice, then break it down into years, based on immediacy.
every boat owner, whether they have consciously thought about it or not, has a five year maintenance plan.
fryewe, JimMcGee, jimgo and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
Neosec (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

If you do ALL the work yourself, AND you start with a boat in OK shape, you can probably keep it in that shape for about 10% of the purchase price per year (give or take). But, that doesn't count upgrades, accidents, et cetera.

So, buy a boat for $10k, expect to spend about $1k (on average) every year. Buy the same make, model, and year boat for $20k (assuming both boat were bought for "fair" prices) and it will take about $2k per year to keep her in the better shape her higher price commanded. In other words, if you buy a boat in OK shape it will take less $$$ every year to keep her in OK shape then you would spend to keep a "really nice" boat in "really nice" condition.

Then again, buy a $40k boat and only put $1k per year into her and she'll pretty quickly become a $10k boat. By the same token, if you buy a $10k boat and sink another $10k into her in upgrades, you should expect to spend about $2k per year to keep her at that higher condition.

Remember, these are just rough averages. Your "milage" may vary.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-17-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I can only supply a little annecdotal data, but here's a list of my most recent two month's activity on my 41' liveaboard/cruising 1973 ketch.

1- Replace LED anchor light at masthead (ca $20)
2- Change oil in Yanmar & Kubota genset (ca 1.75gal of oil)
3- Change braces under genoa sheet blocks (two cut tennis balls)
4- Change two Raycor 500 filter bails (ca $40)
5- Check Kubota zinc (no cost)
6- Re-set stern pulpit stainless braces (no cost)
7- Refit & replace forward head macerator, momentary switch & fuse case (ca $215)

I think this is typical for me, but sometimes I do much more and sometimes much less.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainForce For This Useful Post:
Neosec (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

There are monetary maintenance costs and then there is also the time necessary to fix things. I spend both willingly, as part of the passion that sailing and owning a boat has created in me. It's also part of the learning process, to understand how things work I need to know how to repair them. One day, I hope, I will be going on adventures much further afield (obviously with a different boat that I have now), so anything I learn now may well come in handy when there is nobody else to do it.