Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013

businessonly805 is on a distinguished road
OMG i need liveaboard soon.

can someone here tell me what special things i need to do to get a liveaboard? i need to move soon and a sailboat is the cheapest thing i can think of; however, i live in southern california and have heard some things about needing permits? or that i cant stay on a boat more than 2 nights? i basically want to go on craigslist, make a purchase, and be able to keep the slip and live on it. is this possible? if i find one on a non liveaboard slip, will the marina let me move it to one of their liveaboard areas or is their a waitlist? i dont want to buy a boat and not know what to do with it and myself, definitely dont want to buy one and have to pay for its slip and then have to go find an alternative living situation.
trent.hackett likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: OMG i need liveaboard soon.

Sailboats aren't cheap.
scratchee, Lou452 and Philzy3985 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-23-2013

davester is on a distinguished road

Some marinas don't allow liveaboards, or restrict their numbers - sometimes this is to comply with local laws. My town (in New York State), for example, limits each marina to a certain percentage of liveaboard customers, and the boats must be able to make way under their own power, ect (i.e. not derelict boats). Your best sources of info would probably be the marinas you are thinking of living at.

Your plan sounds risky - sailboats can be very expensive and there is a lot that can go wrong with them (and you'll be responsible for all of it).

I lived aboard for a year and loved it, but I wasn't doing it under financial strain, and I had about 3 years experience in boat ownership.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 07-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I confess to some confusion. If, liveaboard is the prime consideration why go for a sailboat ? Surely a stinker would make more sense ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

In fact, to TDW's point, a houseboat would be perfect.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I guess the question would come down to $$$ ? I'd have thought an older launch/cabin cruiser might come in a tadge cheaper than a houseboat.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-24-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessonly805 View Post
can someone here tell me what special things i need to do to get a liveaboard? i need to move soon and a sailboat is the cheapest thing i can think of; however, i live in southern california and have heard some things about needing permits?
What is your budget (up front and monthly)?
What was the longest camping trip you ever took?
davidpm likes this.
Old 07-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Buy an old RV, find someplace to park it. You'll spend gobs less money and have way more space.
Group9 and shadowraiths like this.
Old 07-24-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

You should change your mind, as this is a very bad option for you.

It isn't cheap. And zero marina's in Southern California will let you go about your plan if you show them "I'm doing this because it's the cheapest thing I can think of."

HERE, I CAN THINK OF SOMETHING CHEAPER:
By a VW Vanagon, a couple grand. Sleep in it during the day at parks or a beach parking lot, and drive it around at night so you don't get ticketed for sleeping in it. Get a $30/month gym membership to take showers and get ready at.

There's your cheapest option.

The only feasible BOAT option I see, that would help you, is to buy a cabin cruiser (more bang for your buck, cheaper, just as much for sale out there, easier to drive/move) but even so, I would bet that you can't live on it anywhere. Every marina is up to capacity with people in your shoes, plus those who WANT (versus NEED) to liveaboard and they don't allow more liveaboards.

You could try somewhere shady, Wilmington/San Pedro, they might let you.. But plan to have $800 cash a month for the slip rental, power, and averaged expenses to save for bottom cleaning, and things breaking down (Guaranteed, as the boat has not been lived on, the daily stress will break things quickly)

Surveying a boat is necessary for insurance - that's expensive and takes a couple days out of your schedule.

Insurance might look at you and decline your application because you want to liveaboard, it's going to be tough to find insurance that's okay with your actions.

Oh, and to apply for a slip you need the boat, a recent survey and insurance. To get the boat and insurance you need a slip to fall into place by the same day - see the problem?

If you buy one off a person on craigslist who says "Slip may be transferable" then beware, they better be cool with the dockmaster because most marina's having waiting lists that people paid deposits to be on and are hoping to bump someone like mr. craigslist out the second he sells his boat and let someone on the list in...that isn't you.

Whatever you do, don't by a sailboat and think this plan will pan out.
Old 07-24-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

CORONADO 25 SAILBOAT - NICE DEAL

Here, is this what you expected?