Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
1st LIS Cruise

I just returned from my first LIS Cruise. It was filled with great fun, tons of beautiful harbors and lots of learning experiences. Travelling the South Shore of CT out and the North Shore of LI back (I much preferred CT Shore) I made stops in Norwalk (great place to drop the hook and have lunch),Milford (anchoring off of Charles Island),Clinton CT (one of my favorite stops) Niantic,New London (saw the Tall Ships Festival...SOOOOO cool) , Stonington Ct. (fogged in), Watch Hill RI.,Block Island, Port Jefferson (very disappointed), Eatons Neck-Northport (Beautiful and GREAT Hospitality at the Northport YC!!!!!), Port Washington, and City Island. I have learned to stay put when the fog rolls in so thick it looks like smoke coming into the front hatch, Anchoring techniques in the Salt Pond BI, Boat Handling with 30 mph winds coming into a Fuel Dock(well, the boat got a little scrape but that''s NOT going to happen again), understanding that LI Sound CAN get ugly when an Easterly blows hard all day long (although after you get the hang of surfing the following seas it gets easier)
Over all, a great vacation and Learning experience. I Can''t wait until next year''s trip!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2004

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
1st LIS Cruise

Hey Maestro, remember me and Glen Koenig, both Oday owners at the orginal rondezvous.

Sorry couldn''t make it this year.

We took our first cruise to Block. Left Sat 7/31 at 3am for a little night sailing, met Glen and his wife in their boat at point no point, and went as far as Fisher''s island where we anchored for the night. Sunday am went out the other end of Fisher Island and into Block Island sound to eventually hit the Great Salt Pond in a down pour. We anchored and eventually took mooring due to storm coming. Spent the entire week there and had a great time. Left Sat AM, went through the race for first time, anchored behind Duck Island and finished the trip Sunday, back in Bridgeport around 6pm.

It was a great adventure.

See ya
Nautical Rich
Old 08-18-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
1st LIS Cruise

sounds like you had fun too. Too bad you couldn''t make the rOnDAYvous...it was real good. Lots of new faces. Next year will be the 3rd annual. We''re hoping to go out into LIS a bit further (CT shore...so if you have any ideas (Branford was mentioned as well as Mystic) let me know.

Old 08-20-2004

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
1st LIS Cruise

Well Branford as far as I am concerned has nothing.
Alot depends on what the Odayer''s want to do.
Do we definately want to dock, anchor, moore.
Do we need facilities, shower etc.
Do we want to maybe go where we can have a bond fire on the beach, (Port Jefferson).
Mystic sounds good, lots of restaurants.
Port Jefferson for anchorage and bond fire or possibly reserving moorings close to town. Lots of restaurants in PJ.
Oyster Bay? Never been there.
You and I know both know Block Island is beautiful but can be crowded. Not many moorings available so have to anchor or reserve dock space somewhere. Never been to Greenport.

Glad you got the larger boat. Still time to drop the hook and take your mandolin to the bow and play it at a beautiful anchorage somewhere.

See ya