Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013

Thebriansnyder is on a distinguished road
Pilothouses (good for wife?) bright and airy

I stayed aboard our 272 Oday with my wife and 2 kids for about a month at a marina, we are looking for a little larger boat, not necessarily to live on yet, but just allow a little more space. I like the Nauticat 33 pilothouse. I have read countless forums regarding the inherent sailing limitations of a "motor sailor". The question is in regards to the pilothouse itself. My wife has depression and I can tell that being on a boat exposed to sunshine she feels much better. I feel like a pilothouse allows her to spend more time being above the water line with large open windows compared to being down below in a typical monohull (can't afford a catamaran) she likes the idea and feels like it will be a nice sunroom for her to sit and relax. It seems an added benefit is on rainy or cold days we are still exposed to more light than we would when cooped up down below. We may liveaboard in the future and we would get a larger boat but I really like this nauticat 33. Any thoughts on pilothouse sailboats improving your mood due to more light?

Thanks
From a husband that has a wife who is willing to liveaboard in a few years, trying to make her happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2013

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Pilothouses (good for wife?) bright and airy

Sounds to me that you are on the right track. And Nauticats look like a good bet. I'd worry a little that the pilot house makes the rest of the boat a little cramped? But in just looking at photos.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 08-15-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Pilothouses (good for wife?) bright and airy

You are to be commended for sharing the Oday with that number, others would be crowded with just themselves.

The Nauticat line is exellent, if a bit pricey. For your wife's needs it can be ideal, it provides quite a bit of space and room to find multiple, comfortable places to sit for a bit. My wife is also depressed, but found life aboard some of the best days of her life, especially when compared to a house, or worse an apartment.

The pilothouse can provide a lot more view than a conventional boat and it was well designed to use a lot of that space....not much wasted space.

Best of luck
Old 08-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

More cramped than four people on a 27-foot boat for a month?

If you're in an area that charters Island Packets, you might try the PH version for a weekend. Not that you'd buy an IP, but just to get the feel for the PH and see if it does make a difference.
jimgo and Brent Swain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

As something of a fan of pilot house sailing boats I'm not here to knock the Nauticat but just don't expect exhilarating performance. However, for a liveaboard where you'd accept motoring or motor sailing at least in light winds, they are a fine boat. Pilothouse does require some compromise re interior space/layout.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 08-16-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2013

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road

If you can afford a Nauticat there are definitely (used) catamarans you can afford. Gemini, Iroquois, Edel, maybe a Prout. You just have to do your research and look a bit harder to find one. Or check out the Pearson Countess - I've never been aboard one but seen them in the yard and marina and think they are the best looking pilothouse boat I've seen.

FYI - I own an Iroquois MKII and my previous boat was an O'day 27 (older model, not the 272). I am 6'4" - I wouldn't live aboard the Iroquois due to lack of headroom. But others have, and there's definitely a lot more light and room than an O'day. And the sailing performance is night and day. Geminis and other small cats do have the headroom the the Iroquois lacks.
Old 08-16-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

My wife won't even let me look at a conventional sailboat after having almost 360 degrees of visibility from the main salon and the galley. You give up some living room in a pilothouse, the width is limited to the inside of the side decks instead of the full width of the hull. The upside is that that space becomes storage (at least in our boat) so there is plenty of room for everything that you never could find a place for before. The Nauticats are excellent boats, although as TD said, the 33 won't have great sailing performance compared to some of their other models like the 39, etc.
Brent Swain likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-16-2013

windmagic is on a distinguished road

We love our Deck saloon (it cant be steered from inside , unless by remote on the auto pilot) . The space ,visibility etc is the best of a mono hull with the visibility all round of a cat .
It is a van de stadt norman 40
Old 08-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I got my seasprite for a steal because the previous owner's new girlfriend was clausterphobic and would not go into the cabin. He bought a pilothouse boat (I don't know which one) and sold me the sprite

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 08-16-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
My wife won't even let me look at a conventional sailboat after having almost 360 degrees of visibility from the main salon and the galley. You give up some living room in a pilothouse, the width is limited to the inside of the side decks instead of the full width of the hull. The upside is that that space becomes storage (at least in our boat) so there is plenty of room for everything that you never could find a place for before. The Nauticats are excellent boats, although as TD said, the 33 won't have great sailing performance compared to some of their other models like the 39, etc.
If your pilot house is not too high, you can still run the counters under the side decks.
After years of sitting out in an open cockpit in the driving rain, I think a cruising boat without a pilot house is "masochistic insanity." It's also bad seamanship. Being exposed to the elements over time can cloud ones judgement. We call our boats "Pleasure Boats" and there is little pleasure in an open cockpit in bad weather.
Pilot houses have nothing to do with motor sailing. Some boats with pilothouses dont have motors. Pilothouses are not motors!

Tags
pilothouse sailboat