Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Water Useage/conservation Cruising

BBQ .... I guess you have a watermaker ? How does that fit in with your water usage plan ?

Our girl has a 50 litre (aprox 12US gallons) per hour. On the hook we tend to run the donk for an hour a day anyway so at least theoretically we can cover all our water needs. We also have a collector for use with boom awning. Tanks hold about the same as BBQ's .... roughly 135US gallons.

Yes to AeV re short hair. Difference that makes is remarkable if you wash you hair daily.

Of course minimising the amount of shampoo you use will help as well. Most people use way to much and it then takes forever to rinse out.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
One of the best things about New England is the many town docks that service the hundreds of mooring fields everywhere. You can pull up and fill the water tank, no problem. If it's a weekday with nobody waiting, you can wash the boat too. Just did all that yesterday morn in Martha's Vineyard. In Newport, they have 2 floating docks out in the mooring fields with water taps. Not every harbor is 'friendly' but plenty are.
Old 08-22-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Brian-
Most of us youngsters don't remember why ammonia is generally not used as a ;aundry agent anymore. The problem is that it attacks latex and similar stretchy things. So if you have underwear with an elastic waistband? Bras? Anything with latex content or "rubber" ? Every time it is washed in ammonia, it ages and gets brittle, way faster than it would with detergent.

Just something to bear in mind, that you won't see printing on the ammonia bottle.
Old 08-23-2013

gerrycooper is on a distinguished road

Used plenty of hand sanitizer and baby wipes for showering.
Old 08-23-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I carry a lot of water for such a small boat (28') 65 gal in v bearth tank, 40 in bladders, and 30 in Jerry's. That's my off shore load. I also carry about 4 cases of bottled water. As far as garbage, I squoosh the bottle up as small as possible, when I have it completely compressed, I put the cap back on. The vacum created keeps it in that compressed shape. I have instaled 2 50 gal. tanks under each cockpit laz, st and prt. This is extreme, I only fill these when I'm going to stay inside the reef and go out to a lagoon with the wife for extended periods. She has a lot of hair and we like to frolick in our abundance of fresh water. Off shore these tanks are empty and essentially air pockets if something decides to go down. Yes I lost all that storage, but I don't have anything to store. I also keep my after most Laz empty. all my weight is below the water line, even my tooth brush ( which I have cut the handle off to reduce weight) jus kidd'n. As for consumption, 2 gal. a day off shore and as much as I want near coastal. We are in clear clean warm tropical or sub tropical water pretty much always. We use salt water for everything 'cept drinking. We swim with a bottle of joy to bath , and rince with fresh mist from a pump up bug spray. I use those ready rice packs and pasta pouches off shore which really cuts down on cooking water, and fuel. I boil my potatos in salt water. I whipe my self down with rubbing alcohol a few times a day off shore to get the salt spray and sweat off my skin. I like to carry as much as possible on Voyages, just in case I'm demasted and float'n for a while till I get the jerry rig together or what ever else would keep me out there longer than I planned like weather. I alway's double up. 7 day's at sea means 14 in food. I have no engine and so no fuel tank so I have all that space and weight I can play with. Also that means I can be becalmed and drifting. I was raised on the same little sloop I'm sailing today by my Grand father, He used to make me bath in a salt water bucket that had vinger mixed in, he said the vinger made the salt sink to the bottom of the bucket. I don't know about that, but I smelled like a salad for a few years as a tween-ager. I look at the life Brian provides for his kids on the Catalina and wonder how those kids would handle the life I had on that little sloop. It would probably be illeagal to keep a child in the conditions I was subjected to, But I loved it and am independent from almost all the stuff I see cruisers today absolutly need. Back then we kept a few jerry cans and when those where empty we used the V berth tank, which alway's smelled of sulfur, I think from the fliter system he had, so we drank hot tang. I remember being in some lagoon, blowed in from a norther in Northern Eluthra back in '79. I was like 9 or 10, and we had to boil the water for safety and mix with tang for taste. That may be why I carry so much extra today, either way, I like having an abundance and prefer to lose any tenderness to the boats prefromance in trade to not having to ration like I'm in a life raft drinking out of a thimble.
Yofy and copacabana like this.
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I did the math. When we're cruising, we use approx 8 gallons per person, per day for the two of us.

That's all in. Drinking, coffee, cooking, shower everyday, washing, etc. It also include one load of laundry per week. I've even been known to spray the teak cockpit floor down with with the transom shower occasionally, est 1pt usage. No salt water usage, but typical conservation practices. Pretty decadent I suppose, but our water supply lasts 14 days for the two of us. That's how I got to the above per day usage, which includes some bottled drinking water of about 0.5 gallon per day per person. The biggest bottled water usage is for coffee. Needless to say, we could dramatically reduce this usage by skipping showers, using salt water, not running laundry. Just don't need to.

Personally, I want to be able to be away for a minimum of 10 days without needing to land for water. Whether I plan to or not, its pretty unlikely we would be off a dock somewhere for longer, so this consumption works and no one feels like they are in prison.

I also don't think there has ever been an exception to having someone along for a day here or there, while we're cruising. Obviously, this increases consumption, but we top off when we pick them up and again when we drop them off. Simple and never a concern over usage, as a result. We just had another couple aboard for several days last week that were new to boating. Easy, as they were accustom to water conservation when camping.

The number one trick for conservation isn't the obvious on/off, don't let water run when you don't need it approach. It's to get everyone in the habit of not turning the water all the way on at all. You never need to, unless filling a pot. Think about the slug of water one runs over a toothbrush at home. I bet you use a pint of water to brush your teeth. Now consider the trickle it would really take to wet the brush as much as that slug does.

The best way to conserve water when showering is the dish sprayer head, usually found on transom showers. On when you need it and off the second you don't. My wife will use our transom shower most often when cruising in warm weather. I would love to measure the difference from the head faucet down below. Just the time it takes to reach over with soap in my eyes to find the lever, after I don't need it on anymore, must really add up over a week or two.

I suspect our usage level will suggest to some that we hardly conserve at all. However, we do. We just don't deny ourselves the ability to use water for whatever we need. If we used our supply, like we were at home, it would last exactly 3 days.

Finally, we hold water in two equal tanks, mounted in the bilge on each side of the keel. While a good location for the weight, we still run one down to half, switch to the other and run it empty, then switch back to the first. Both weight management and the best way to always feel you have a backup. It also keeps the supply circulating with new water, if you're not using it up on a longer cruise. Admittedly, most of ours are only a few days away from our slip at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Brian-
Most of us youngsters don't remember why ammonia is generally not used as a ;aundry agent anymore. The problem is that it attacks latex and similar stretchy things. So if you have underwear with an elastic waistband? Bras?
Brian only wears cotton bras.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

This is a pretty old post, but it contains links to EPA data that says that average water use in US for land dwellers is 70 gallons per day. That's indoor only, doesn't even account for watering the lawn. The "Life Afloat" Archives: Water, water everywhere? Okay, we use seawater to flush our toilet and take our laundry to the laundromat. Subtract that use from EPA numbers and the average landlubber uses 35 gpd. Wow. We'd be filling our water tank every two days.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-23-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Interesting discussion and some great “helpful Hannah” tips from Cruisingdad. Dad, what is the concentration of bleach solution in your cleaning bottle? Can you use a bottle with a “drinking cap” instead of drilling a hole in a standard cap? On Freya, we have 59 gallons and have never run out, albeit, MrsB and I do the one week between ports cruise thing. On the race boats, we do the 1 gal/crew/day personal allotment, which I’m thinking needs to be expanded to include a one gal/day for boat communal usage (cooking, dish rinsing etc.). In Mexico, we get our laundry done at the major “stops” (dirt cheap and helps out the local economy). I had amebic dysentery back in my younger days so clean water and proper sanitation is important to me. I am currently trying to figure out how to stuff a water maker into my 34 footer. Anyone got suggestions? Aaron, some day you just got to post a photo essay on your 28 footer when it is provisioned up for a cruise – it would be an inspiration to all of us who cruise in smaller boats.
Old 08-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The EPA data and the 75gpppd number also include things like showers. "New" restricted flow showerheads may be 2.5gpm, which is 25 gallons during a ten-minute shower. I know some showers are twice that long, that's 50 gallons in one shot, closer to a hundred with a proper old-fashioned shower that doesn't have a flow restrictor.

Ditto toilets, what are the new ones down to? (And finally working.) But unless you've got really hard water, a flush toilet lasts forever, a lot of the hungry old ones are still out there.

Very different once you have to tank it and don't get it on the pipe feed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.