Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Useage/conservation Cruising

My 400 litres/100 gallons lasts me (alone) about 3 months. If I restricted it I could easily get 4 months.

When there were two of us we were using too much water so bought spray bottles to have at every faucet..

I also plumbed salt water into the sink with an electric pump.

All washing of dishes is with salt water and then a spray with a spray bottle.

Any shower on a long passage you can use as much fresh water as you want! --- as long as all the fresh comes from spray bottle. You wrist falls off from pumping before the water runs out. But its a good enough shower at sea and can be had every day. (thats .5 to .75 of a litre).

Currently I have not filled with water for 4 months and have one tank full. The other must be pretty close to empty but I do have a rain catcher on it!

For showers in port, I have one every day, I have a solar 2.5 gallon plastic water bag. I fill it about half full. I have glued up about half the holes in the nozzle. (Its just made me remember I didnt refill it this morning and need a shower this afternoon! Damn! LOL)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Good post Brian. Two gallons or so per person per day sounds about right to me as well. We have about 135 gallons in tanks and bring extra drinking water on board. The 4 of us have gone a month between refills, but we catch rainwater to keep the tanks full when we can. We all have a shower in fresh water at the end of the day as well as only use fresh for dish washing. Two things that really help us to conserve water are having only manual foot pumps for water and showering on deck with solar showers. Manual foot pumps help to meter the water you use and no one ever lets water run (pumping) while they brush their teeth or lather their hands. The solar shower works well for conserving water too. We each get our own solar bag to fill once a day (about a gallon each) and it has to do for the shower (no refills!).
Old 08-23-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like to pack my icebox with water, tea and beer the day before a trip, along with 30-40 lbs. of ice, so I have ice cold beverages at the ready. I usually have leftover water, beer, and tea at the conclusion of the trip.
If you freeze gallon jugs of water, they last longer than ice, stay cold even after they melt, and give a reserve in case you're out longer than expected.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
If you freeze gallon jugs of water, they last longer than ice, stay cold even after they melt, and give a reserve in case you're out longer than expected.
That's a good idea. Do the jugs explode/crack when frozen?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I've always been impressed by manual foot pumps, I can't really see a need for pressure water for much besides showering, when and if you have the luxury of it. (And why tape the faucets shut when you can just pull the fuse on the pressure pump?)

Of course there are those newfangled IR water spigots now as well, if you take your hands away, the water stops and there's no way to keep it running.

Jim-
Plastic milk jugs are able to stretch enough not to split or crack, at least when new. DOn't know how many repeat cycles they can take. But that's also why you never FILL something you intend to freeze, you need to allow +10% for the water to expand as it freezes.

Or like they used to do in New England, you leave a filled glass bottle of something out on the windowsill in the winter, and in the middle of the night, BANG! it will explode.

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-23-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

Quote:
Never have. I use gallon milk/water jugs & 1- & 2-liter soda bottles. Underfill them by a cup or so to allow for the expansion of the ice. Just pull a 1-liter out & let it be thawing as you go along, sipping as it melts. A teaspoon or two of lime juice in with it is especially thirst-quenching. (Also good in green Gatorade.)

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-23-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Several have mentioned the use of fresh water for flushing a toilet. I can't imagine the use of fresh water to move sewage when you're trying to conserve water. Also, many speak of showering. We never "shower" when we are conserving fresh water. After bathing in salt water, a cup of fresh water is carefully poured from our head down, - maybe a second cup for those with long hair. I like aeventyr60's & MarkofSeaLife's use of the spray bottle. Some assumed use of water just makes no sense at all,- why would you need to run water over your toothbrush before putting it in your wet mouth? Now I must admit, when we are picking up water every few days, we are showering freely and washing dishes when rinse water flowing down the drain, but 1.7 gallons/day/person is easy in conservation mode.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 08-23-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
No, they shouldn't if you just leave some air at the top for expansion. I use PET bottles (Coke) and they work fine for ice. The best part is there is no melt water.
Old 08-23-2013

....and if you're feeling particularly puckish, some beer bottles are plastic....

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
.....why would you need to run water over your toothbrush before putting it in your wet mouth? ....
How did your mouth get wet? You drink a ton of water?

Good point, but it would feel like prison to me for an inconsequential savings, unless I was on a serious passage.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.