Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Useage/conservation Cruising

Hygiene is pretty friken important. Espeacialy on a long passage. To be clean and comfortable is important for your psyche and that transponds deirectly to safety. You sleep better, and rather than sitting there on watch thinkng about the rash on your a$$ and ithcy arm pits, you should be sittng there comfy as can be, smelling like a new born baby. I use clean cotton rag soaked in hot water to give my self a complete whipe down, follwed by an alcohol whipe down, and the some baby powder fo the essentials. I go out and buy a few packages of cotton white t shirts and black cotton boxer breifs before each voyage. I change into fresh undergarments twice a day. I also bring a few packages of cotton tube socks and wear those blue west marine rubber boots religously. It leaves a funny tan line and my feet are pretty pale, but I never stub my toe, or get athleats foot and can walk around my deck with a sure footed confidence. I like to sail into my destination looking like I'm meeting friends for lunch at the country club, clean pressed shirt and shorts that I have put aside for the arrival, shaved fresh. It helps with clearing customs as well. My delivery partners usually look like they just spent a week at sea, all scrubby and grubby and salty. It doesn't take a lot of water or time time take care your self out there. I also have 2 sets of fowly's that I switch out so as not to have been sitting in the same pair for a week or more. And I carry 4 or 5 sets of clean bedding to switch out as needed, so I sleep clean an comfy. When i feel the need several times a day, I grab a bottle of water, take a sip, brush my teeth, rinse, spit and drink the rest or dump it on my head, or dump one of those Emergen-C powder pakages in the rest, shake and rehydrate with that. I sacrifice storage of non essentials to carry more of the essentials.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 08-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Hygiene is pretty friken important. ......
John Bonds used to preach this in the Safety at Sea seminars, which he essentially invented. Hygiene and proper nourishment, which would include water. He considered it critical for morale, which translated to both safety and performance. Being a retired Navy Captain and head of Navy Sailing at Annapolis, Dean at the Navy War College and head of US Sailng, he knew a few things about morale and performance. He passed a few years back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Capt.aaron;1078770] .................. And I carry 4 or 5 sets of clean bedding to switch out as needed, so I sleep clean an comfy. ........... [QUOTE]

I like all of Capt.aaron's post comments, but this particular item about the bedding reminds me of an important behavior. I's very important to us not to go below with any saltwater wet items or salt from seawater on our skin. Once you introduce salts to your sheets, towels, cushions or any fabrics they will absorb moisture and remain clamy & uncomfortable until you are back in port and able to throughly wash them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 08-26-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

O.k. Here are some pics from the day I loaded and sailed from Key West to Honduras. I pulled the boat up along side our dive boat for loadingWater Useage/conservation Cruising-imagejpeg_2-4-.jpg. From the this vantage you can see several inches of water line showingWater Useage/conservation Cruising-imagejpeg_2-2-.jpg and from here as we sail out, you can see noneWater Useage/conservation Cruising-478763_4972231899884_2081919366_o.jpg. Note that in side you see nothing. Every thing is stowed under or behind the seating, counter or V berth. Note my sink. I love that big elbow faucet. I can get my head under it or a big pot. It is fed by a foot pump. Having water automatically moved by electricity when a valve is opened has always seemed very land lubbery to me. Not to mention a complete waste of precious electricity. I have all that crap on the dive boat, and I'm constantly working on pressure pumps, the AC the gen set, the engine the electric this and that. I love the freedom of simplicity on my sail boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Useage/conservation Cruising-imagejpeg_2-7-.jpg   Water Useage/conservation Cruising-imagejpeg_2-5-.jpg  

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-26-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Have 200g in two tanks. One of the best things I did was putting a water filtration system just before the pressure pump. Takes 3 m cartridges and carry two extras. When near good water supply ( some marina water is questionable) fill and flush tanks. Part of hygiene is clean water.
With just 2 don't worry much about conservation. This winter putting in water maker. But due to work involved wont run it except if have spare electricity from wind generators on passage. Due to silt hard to run it coastal in many areas.
Flush with fresh. No stink and keeps plumbing nicer.
Old 08-26-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I carry 122 Gallons in two tanks.
Presently we don't conserve actively, we don't waste per se but we don't conserve.

When we use the sun shower it's 2.3 gallon bag is sufficient for both of us to get clean. Keep in mind I 'grew' up in the navy so I know how to take a bird bath shower.
We installed a filtration unit (home type) on the manual pump and get all drinking water from that, it makes you think about it I guess. Makes the filter last longer for sure.

We aren't planning on any Looooong trips (over 5 days) - but I am interested in hearing about difficulties in getting refills of good clean reliable water in the Bahama's, BVI's and south america.
Old 08-26-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Here's a simple trick that works even if you have pressure water: when taking a shower and you need to adjust the temp, adjust by decreasing flow rather than increasing. So, if it's too hot, decrease the hot water instead of increasing the cold water, for example. You get a faster response, plus of course, use less water total.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-26-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
How did your mouth get wet? You drink a ton of water?
Living people have wet mouths,- Where've you been?

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 08-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Living people have wet mouths,- Where've you been?
Never heard of dry mouth? One gets it when they excessively conserve water.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-27-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I am currently trying to figure out how to stuff a water maker into my 34 footer. Anyone got suggestions?
Build your own modular watermaker. That way you can place components in different small places in the boat where the space is of little value for anything else.

It's really not hard and there is no mystical magic to watermakers. It's a simple device that requires a feed of clean seawater pumped into a carbon filter by an ordinary marine pressure pump. Then into a high pressure pump (800psi) with a pressure control valve that manually regulates the pressure into the membrane tube.

OK, there are a few other small components involved but this is the nub of it. All these components can be remotely located and don't have to be in the same box. That way you can always find space in the tiniest parts of your boat.

If you want to know more PM me and I'll tell you.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.