Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Water Useage/conservation Cruising

One of the deals we made (wife and I) is that when we go sailing we're not going camping. We have 1000 litres of water in three tanks. I will install a home-made water maker before we go long terms cruising and will also have a custom-made rain catcher. We'll not be short of water. That said, we don't waste water but we don't camp either.

We wash our clothes in fresh because it takes more water to rinse salt out than to wash the clothes in the first instance and salty clothing will give you rashes and dermatitis. We have showers in both heads operated with trigger nozzles so you wet yourself down, soap up and then rinse off - no free-running water.

We carry enough linen to have fresh bedding whenever required and we do laundromats when we get into ports. Washing bedding at sea is too hard and it's not about water consumption.

We have no salt water on the boat other than toilet flush. We use only fresh in the galley for cooking and washing dishes and plastic garbage.

We sailed with three on board from San Diego to Marquesas. When we got to Nuku Hiva, the water was poor quality (undrinkable) so we never loaded any. We stayed for 5 days then sailed to Bora Bora. There the good water was limited so we only loaded 200 litres. We stayed there for 5 days too. We sailed to Raratonga where the water was again poor quality. We managed to get some from a ship that was stranded in the harbour but only filled one tank.

We stayed for 4 days then sailed to New Zealand. We were at sea altogether essentially for two and a half months and when we reached NZ we still had adequate water supplies. With a watermaker and rain catcher, we will have more water than we need - maybe we'll even sell some

If I have to cruise worrying about water to the point where I can't have a mouthful when I clean my teeth then I'll sell the boat and take up some other pass-time. That is not sailing - that's mental torture.
Minnewaska and Capt.aaron like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

The water we sail in is so nutrient poor and of such "high" quality, we consider it sacred. We swim and bath in it, it heals our wounds and cures our hang overs. I friken brush my teeth with it! To use fresh for anything but drinking and rinsing to us is a waste. I'll sail up to a dock with a hose after scrubbing down with salt water to rinse with fresh. I probably use 10 gallons of salt water to wash the food off of dishes and a gallon of fresh to rinse. We eat conch right out of the shell sometimes. The ocean is a life force for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Useage/conservation Cruising-1074314_10200377035176024_275597152_o-1-.jpg   Water Useage/conservation Cruising-img_0320_0361.jpg  

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-27-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Hosing down after a salt wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Useage/conservation Cruising-977169_10200376889012370_1754997168_o-1-.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Of course we try and sail to places that have one of theseWater Useage/conservation Cruising-1078878_10200376858251601_1648642670_o.jpg. My point being that we have a lot of fresh water to spare because we sail in salt water clean enough to use it for most every thing besides drinking, laundry and boiling rice and pasta and final hygiene rinses.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Useage/conservation Cruising-img_0300_0369.jpg   Water Useage/conservation Cruising-img_0160_0444.jpg  

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-27-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

If I have to cruise worrying about water to the point where I can't have a mouthful when I clean my teeth then I'll sell the boat and take up some other pass-time. That is not sailing - that's mental torture.
I might have said something in an earlier post that now sounds absurd. I was against the thought of it being necessary to run water over a toothbrush before adding the toothpaste. Some had said earlier that people often turn on the tap, run water over the toothbrush and leave it running. I always use water when I brush my teeth. I just don't run the water before I brush my teeth. No one has said not to use water for tooth brushing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 08-27-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
BBQ .... I guess you have a watermaker ? How does that fit in with your water usage plan ?

Our girl has a 50 litre (aprox 12US gallons) per hour. On the hook we tend to run the donk for an hour a day anyway so at least theoretically we can cover all our water needs. We also have a collector for use with boom awning. Tanks hold about the same as BBQ's .... roughly 135US gallons.

Yes to AeV re short hair. Difference that makes is remarkable if you wash you hair daily.

Of course minimising the amount of shampoo you use will help as well. Most people use way to much and it then takes forever to rinse out.
I have pulled the plumbing and electrical and put in the space for the watermaker... but did not want to get and install until we needed it. So far a good call. Have not had a use for it yet.

Many of the places we go, I would not make water or it is easily available. For those places we would make it, we often dont stay there over a week anyways.

If we go to spend significant time in the bahamas that will likely change because the WM becomes more useful and cost effective. RIght no though, it would be pickled and a maintenance issue.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-27-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Lots of great replies in this thread. THanks Aaron, Capt Force, Jaye, and all others for a lot of great replies and thoughts. Hope this helps some folks.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-27-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I might have said something in an earlier post that now sounds absurd. I was against the thought of it being necessary to run water over a toothbrush before adding the toothpaste. Some had said earlier that people often turn on the tap, run water over the toothbrush and leave it running. I always use water when I brush my teeth. I just don't run the water before I brush my teeth. No one has said not to use water for tooth brushing.
Point taken - didn't mean to offend.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-27-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Point taken - didn't mean to offend.
'never a thought of offense,- just a clarification,- Thanks

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 08-29-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I have been told by several friends that the modular, after-market parts type set up is the way to go. I installed a Spectra Newport and that was a little difficult in a 44 footer. What are the thoughts on electrical or mechanical high pressure pumps? I may have real estate in the engine compartment for a belt driven pump but it could make checking the oil difficult. Also, I am running a 120A alternator on a single belt. Would I need to go with a two belt serpentine type arrangement or could I run two separate single belts? I have also been told to go to the largest capacity possible as this will cut down the operation times – is there any real benefit? Regarding the intake through hull – can I “T” it off an existing one (like the galley salt water intake) or does it need to be dedicated (syphon valve needed?). My available real estate is all in the stern but I am worried about the excess weight there but it is close to the aft water tank. Does anyone run a transfer pump between fresh water tanks? (my plan would be to keep the bow tank full).