Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013

glymroff is on a distinguished road
Re: How long (reasonably) does a tank of CNG last?

Just an update.

We found that doing coffee in the morning (tea kettle), and a meal at night our tank lasted about 6 weeks.

We scored big time in Vero Beach on the way down the ditch and picked up 2 used tanks (certs are only 3 years old, they are good for ten years) for 10Bucks each!!!!

I'm going to make a mount that will secure all three tanks next to each other in the lazarete.

This solves my where to get gas issue in the Islands, as we will be there for about 3 months.

Thx again to all for the input.

:-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I have been using CNG for over 30 years. I used to keep a spare tank on board. But the last tank lasted me two years, mostly do to the lack of a first mate. In the past a tank would last the better part of a year. Weekend sailing and a couple of long weeks sailing. $20.00 to fill at Brothers Corp. I find it is a very hot flame, boiling water twice as fast as home gas. Lighter that air gas is safer because it will not settle in the bilge if there is a leak.

This install was not my doing or was the microwave, I can thank dad for that. He was very safety conscious. These systems have worked well over the years.

The down side is carrying the tank on board, and what others would say BOOM. I don't feel there is any more risk of this happening than with using other gasses or fuel to cook with. And much safer than others. An impact from another boat, rocks or other obstruction is minimal in just the right location is a real long shot. It would have to be a high speed crash and penetrate my 3/4" solid Fiberglas hull. I see that as a non issue.

Happy sailing,
Eric
Old 12-14-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

They refer to the smaller CNG bottles (tanks-suba sized) as 20 hour tanks. Meaning, one burner on high (4-5,000btu) will burn for 20 hours.

After 15 seasons, with a family of 4 aboard full time, we'd go through a bottle a week(that would be a lot of cooking).

With just two and light cooking, you should go twice that, maybe more if you don't use an oven.

Exchange is the only option here in Maine, and it's expensive, 60.00 per bottle last season.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 12-14-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Our tank( Composite) is a little smaller then a 20 and last us 3 to 4 months depending on how much baking the 1st mate does, but I make coffee every morning and a hot meal for dinner every night.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 12-14-2013

alturia is on a distinguished road

During the 13 weeks we lived on the boat last summer we went through 2 1/2 tanks of CNG.
Old 12-23-2013
Old Guy

sugarbird is on a distinguished road

I had CNG (Seaward 3 burner w/oven) for a few years in my present boat. Not easy to find in the Caribbean and expensive. Had to pay $60 a tank for empty/full tank swaps in Tortola. A tank might last a month or a little longer using it a couple times a day. Changed the burners to LPG and switched to propane - now able to refill tanks cheaply anywhere in the Caribbean. Flame seems quite a bit hotter, on a four month cruise we averaged 6 weeks on a 10 lb. tank.