Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013

krazzz is on a distinguished road
Re: what wrong with this pic, or look before you......

It is without a doubt a boa. Can't see enough of him to tell what kind but he is a young boa. I have over 20 snakes and 4 of them are boas. They are completely harmless so be nice to him. The little ones may bite a little but they don't hurt too bad.
gamayun likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

For safety snake, you should really tie a 41' with a 5/8" thick snake ... This is a 1/2".
zeehag and Dfok like this.
Old 08-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I think it's native to Taiwan, and it now feels at home.

Why not let it bite you? If it's a boa, you'll be fine. If it's a Taipan, then well.... you'll know....

MedSailor
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

This might be helpful info: Rio Bravo Reptiles: Mexican Boas

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 08-29-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Recipe

1 snake, obtained from a trusted source or familiar environment; avoid the risk of eating a snake that has eaten a poisoned rodent
1 box of cornbread mix
1/2 c egg whites
Splash black pepper
1/2" oil (depends on pan size)

Refrigerate the carcass as soon as possible. It can also be frozen. The meat's integrity remains intact, and the coloration of the skin is unaffected.

2 Skin the snake. Cut off the head, strip off the skin, and remove the guts of the dead snake.

3 Rinse the meat, and cut it into pieces with a sharp knife or poultry shears.Rinse the meat, and cut it into pieces with a sharp knife or poultry shears. Make the cuts between and at the same angle as the ribs to avoid cutting the ribs. If the ribs are severed, they may be difficult to remove from the meat after it is cooked. Some people prefer to soak the ready-to-cook snake pieces in saltwater for a day or two to remove any remaining blood or "gaminess" from the meat.

4 Dip the segments in a bit of egg white (milk would also do) before dredging them in a pepper and sweet cornmeal mix (or cornbread mix with some extra black pepper).
Shake off the excess.

5 Heat about 3/4" (2cm) of canola, vegetable, or peanut oil in a heavy frying pan until quite hot. Add the snake pieces one at a time to avoid from dropping the temperature in the pan too quickly. Use tongs to keep your fingers away from the sizzling hot oil, watch for dangerous splatters, and use a screen if necessary to prevent a mess. Turn the snake pieces just as the batter begins to turn golden - by the time it starts to brown the snake will be overcooked. There's not much meat on the bones, and the muscles are thin and lean.

6 Drain and cool.Drain and cool. Remove the snake pieces before they're quite done - they'll continue to cook after removal from the pan - and set them on paper towels to drain and cool.

7 Serve your fried snake bits warm, and provide napkins - this is finger food, unless its a BOA!!

8 Eat the snake meat. There should be a line of muscle along either side of the spine; this is the thickest piece of meat on the snake's body. The ribs are quite firmly attached to the spine, so scrape your teeth over them firmly to remove the rest of the meat from the ribs.
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-29-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thank you for that, now I will NEVER be able to sleep on my boat! (I have snakephobia).
Old 08-29-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

boa would be great--i would allow a boa to hang...this buster had fat bulbous cheeks and TEETH and HISSSSSSSSSSSED and woulot bite the rope i wanted it to bite so i could put him off sweetly into ocean....sukker climbed my lines and had audacity to hang out without even bringing beer....or something i could drink while he drank the beer.... jeeeez, alreddy....cute lil viper----but i think i dont know what it was---had fat cheeks and triangular head...definitely a triangular head--i got to look at it closely...as it tried to bite me 7 times while i tried to catch it on a rope--aimed at me not rope.silly snakee--that is how ye piss off a zee ...lol....

is ok, first---i have been on board since 1990 and this is first ever snakee on board. i know there will be others--i need a looooong stick with forked end. lol

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 08-29-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

From the Rio Bravo site, linked above:
"For evolutionary reasons we will likely never understand practically all boas from Mexico will at some time display a startling and imposing defensive behaviour. This display consists of a tightening and bowing of the body, rearing and/or flattening of the head and coiling or writhing of the tail. If these warning signs are ignored the boa will usually take in a body-full of air and emit a loud hissing sound from the epi-glottis equal to the very best any bullsnake or pinesnake can deliver. If this performance still fails to make the threat go away, they will strike."
zeehag likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Z,
We had a baby Boa as a pet for years. We called her "Alice" after Alice Cooper.
She looked just like in your photos. She didn't mind being handled and your friend was probably just admiring all the lines on your boat.
Alice grew from < 2' to > 6' and finally escaped her cage but found a home inside my mom's baby grand piano. The piano technician had a blast one afternoon extracting Alice.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Z,
We had a baby Boa as a pet for years. We called her "Alice" after Alice Cooper.
Alice?

Alice?

Who the **** is Alice?

MedSailor
Bill B likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.