SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Helm Chair?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/103735-helm-chair.html)

smurphny 09-15-2013 12:53 PM

Helm Chair??

I've been looking for some sort of folding helm chair, one that will be comfortable enough to sit in for long passages but that can be folded up and moved easily when standing at the wheel. Has anyone seen a chair like this or plans to make something suitable? I've seen wooden arch type seats that span the cockpit but they are too bulky and take up too much room. I really don't want anything permanent there. Right now I use an aluminum folding ladder with a cushion which works out pretty well but, of course, it has no back or arm rests. It's easy to move it and stow it but there must be something better designed for sailboats.

svHyLyte 09-15-2013 01:10 PM

Re: Helm Chair??

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 1088914)
I've been looking for some sort of folding helm chair, one that will be comfortable enough to sit in for long passages but that can be folded up and moved easily when standing at the wheel. Has anyone seen a chair like this or plans to make something suitable? I've seen wooden arch type seats that span the cockpit but they are too bulky and take up too much room. I really don't want anything permanent there. Right now I use an aluminum folding ladder with a cushion which works out pretty well but, of course, it has no back or arm rests. It's easy to move it and stow it but there must be something better designed for sailboats.

A nicely padded one legged milking stool with a rubber cap over the foot actually works very nicely and allows one to adjust one's seating angle for heel. You can easily make one for yourself to the correct height very inexpensively.

https://www.lehmans.com/images/product/large/3359.jpg

SVAuspicious 09-15-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurphny (Post 1088914)
I've been looking for some sort of folding helm chair, one that will be comfortable enough to sit in for long passages but that can be folded up and moved easily when standing at the wheel.

Why would you sit behind the wheel on passage? Most of us sit under the dodger with the autopilot steering. Instruments, especially chartplotter/radar should be mounted where they can be seen from under the dodger. If you have a stack of displays on your pedestal consider moving them.

hellosailor 09-15-2013 02:46 PM

Bungee cord from your suspenders to the backstay? (VBG)

MarkofSeaLife 09-15-2013 03:35 PM

A hot chics lap.
Very comfy and warm and when you don't need it anymore you just stand up and tell it to go make coffee....... with a shot of rum...

:)

smurphny 09-15-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 1088936)
Why would you sit behind the wheel on passage? Most of us sit under the dodger with the autopilot steering. Instruments, especially chartplotter/radar should be mounted where they can be seen from under the dodger. If you have a stack of displays on your pedestal consider moving them.

That's where I sit and sometimes catch some zzzzs, right under the dodger with an egg timer on. Gps and radar are mounted on the cabin bulkhead, not on the pedestal. There is actually room for a seat in front of the pedestal if some sort of folding chair were available. I've looked at 32" high folding chairs (the canvas, folding type wood director's chair). One of those might work. There are times when the windvane isn't being used and there's enough boat traffic to require being at the wheel all day (like going down Chespeake Bay trying to weave in and out of all the f$%^ing boats with those damnable floats they drag trying to catch a Bass. That's when a comfortable seat would be nice. The issue is mostly with forward field of vision. Sitting on the cockpit seats is comfortable but too low to get a good look ahead. I sometimes put a cushion on top of a pail to sit high enough but have managed to lose a couple of cushions doing that. Guess I'll just have to get some sort of seat and attach it to the top of the little aluminum ladder. I cut the ladder at just the right height to see under the boom/over the dodger.

xort 09-15-2013 10:55 PM

West marine sells a very nice folding chair. Much more than the simple L shaped one they've sold for years. This one has nice padded arms and much more bottom & back support and padding.

capttb 09-16-2013 12:29 AM

Try looking at helmseat.com real easy to remove and comfortable

smurphny 09-16-2013 08:11 AM

Thanks, I will check those out.