Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is Schengen visa extension possible?

momo-
fwiw, we were taught that "Iceland" and "Greenland" were named in reverse, in order to discourage settlers from coming to Iceland (the greener place) and send them instead to Greenland, the colder less hospitable one. The Norsemen were practicing psychology all that long ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Will the harbor freeze over in the winter? I have this vision of three feet of ice, which may demonstrate my misunderstanding of Iceland. Having to run bubblers all winter would worry me, if the ice was really bad. I'm sure you have it figured out.

Sorry the master plan didn't work out. What broke on the boat?

We have been told that, because of the large tidal range here (around 4 meters), the harbour does not freeze in the winter. From what I have heard, and from my own research, it also does not seem to get extremely cold here despite its high latitude. (Thank you Gulf Stream!) The coldest winter temperatures seem to hover between -3˚C to 4˚C…much warmer than Boston where Drake spent quite a few winters.

We've had several things break, but the big one was just as we were leaving Greenland to head to Ireland. About three hours after we left the weather station on the eastern edge of Prins Christian Sund the wheel that held steering cables broke which left us a sitting duck in the middle of an iceberg field.

Luckily we have an emergency tiller. Between that and the hydraulic RAM auto pilot, which connects directly to the steering quadrant, we were able to turn around and safely return to the weather station.

The repairs did not take too long (we had back up parts on board), but by the time everything was finished we had missed the weather window to Ireland and decided to head to Iceland after all.

It certainly wasn't in the plan, but I'm delighted to be here in Reykjavík. It was also comforting to see how we all reacted to an unexpected emergency. Everyone on board pulled together and no one really freaked out.
Old 09-24-2013
s/v Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
momo-
fwiw, we were taught that "Iceland" and "Greenland" were named in reverse, in order to discourage settlers from coming to Iceland (the greener place) and send them instead to Greenland, the colder less hospitable one. The Norsemen were practicing psychology all that long ago.
I had heard that as well. *grin* What a shock it must have been to get to Greenland, eh?

I think I'll prefer hanging out in Iceland this winter. There isn't a lot of sun, but whenever you feel chilly you can just walk down to one of the local hot springs and have a soak. A definite plus!
Old 09-24-2013

SOVT is on a distinguished road

Back to the original question. How did you make out with the extension?

A long time ago I used to spend some time in Keflavik flying early warning stuff for the AF. I remember the winters being pretty gray but not particularly cold.

I am in Belfast several times a month for business and will be going there for several more years so if you get over let me know.

My emai:

ml-bfs(at)hotmail.com

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013
s/v Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOVT View Post
Back to the original question. How did you make out with the extension?

Mike
Hi Mike,

We're not quite sure where we stand at the moment, but I'll let everyone know how it turns out!