Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road
Is Schengen visa extension possible?

Is there anyone out there who has had any luck extending their stay in a country that is part of the Schengen Agreenment? We are an American couple aboard our boat which is currently in Iceland. It is a part of Schengen, but not a part of the EU. We spent about a month and a half sailing around Greenland (which is also Schengen) so we have approx. a month and a half left in any Schengen Country.

Our plan was to sail from Greenland to Iceland to Ireland, arriving in Ireland in the beginning of September to avoid the inclement weather that begins around that time. Unfortunately, we were delayed by weather and equipment failure which has kept us in Greenland and Iceland longer than expected.

We are also losing our crew in a couple of days. We very much hope to get a weather window to Ireland, but as the days tick by we are starting to get concerned. Just yesterday we battled 50+ knots of wind here in the harbour.

Our boat is our home…we have no other land based accommodations to go to if forced to leave. We have no desire to acquire jobs here and can prove that we have the financial means not to be a burden.

We have contacted the US embassy, but they cannot offer any advice except to contact Icelandic Immigration. We hope to speak to them tomorrow, but I just wondered if anyone has had any luck at all in extending their stay in such conditions.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Monique
s/v Paragon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2013

skelmir is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Schengen visa extension possible?

You need to contact Útlendingastofnun / "Directorate of Immigration" www . utl . is

Living aboard a sailboat in Iceland over winter doesn't sound pleasant. It's probably possible but would be lonely since you would be among the very few and quite possibly the only ones.

You can get an extension on your visa provided with proof of force majeure so they won't force you to leave if the weather is unreasonable. For a residency permit you will probably need to show proof of health insurance and proof of subsistence. Seeing that you've sailed to Iceland and many other parts of the world should be enough proof to show that you plan to leave.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Mimir
s/v Ivy Isaacs
Old 09-16-2013
s/v Paragon

Thank you Mimir,

We are getting in touch with Immigration and hope for a favourable outcome.

I must say that I think a winter in Iceland would be lovely...though perhaps you should ask me again at the end of the season. *grin* Seriously, Iceland gets the tail end of the gulf stream which keeps its winter fairly mild for this northern latitude. Quite a few locals have told us that it is milder than most expect and it certainly sounds a lot warmer than where I lived in Colorado for ten years.

Right now we're just crossing our fingers that we are able to extend our stay here.

Fair Winds,
Monique
Old 09-16-2013

SOVT is on a distinguished road

Hope it works out for you. I spend a lot of time in Northern Ireland and the weather gets pretty dicey this time of year. Lots of powerful lows.

If you do get to Ireland consider resting up in Belfast. There is a nice little marina on the edge of the city. Not much in the way of services but very sheltered and relatively inexpensive.

If you get over here let me know and I'll show you the sights in exchange for a good briefing on your travels.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Another option might be applying for a visa to a different schengen country, France, Italy, Slovenia etc. but you have to state that you aregoingto visit that country. Schengen visa is valid in all schengen countries. After you get a visafrom one of them you can stay whereever you are.
Old 09-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sorry for the trouble. I'm sure you would prefer to be holed up in Ireland/UK, which I do not think are Schengen participants. However, they must have their own limitations. Hopefully, you'll get across the north Atlantic.

If you stay in Iceland, will you be up on the hard? Worst case might be to leave the boat and return to the States for a few months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-23-2013
s/v Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOVT View Post

If you get over here let me know and I'll show you the sights in exchange for a good briefing on your travels.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

We won't be in that area until some time next year, but if you're still there perhaps we could meet up. We'd love a bit of local knowledge/tour in exchange for stories.

I'm not sure where next winter will find us, but somewhere in Northern Ireland is certainly a possibility. As of right now they are not a signee of the Schengen which means we could spend a great part the spring exploring Iceland, The Faroe Islands, and Ireland then head to Northern Ireland to reset our visa in the Schengen countries.

Thanks again for the offer!

Fair winds,
Monique
Old 09-23-2013
s/v Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Another option might be applying for a visa to a different schengen country, France, Italy, Slovenia etc. but you have to state that you aregoingto visit that country. Schengen visa is valid in all schengen countries. After you get a visafrom one of them you can stay whereever you are.
Hmmm…I wonder if we would then be required to visit the country where we acquired the visa extension. It is certainly an interesting possibility that I will check out. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013
s/v Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sorry for the trouble. I'm sure you would prefer to be holed up in Ireland/UK, which I do not think are Schengen participants. However, they must have their own limitations. Hopefully, you'll get across the north Atlantic.

If you stay in Iceland, will you be up on the hard? Worst case might be to leave the boat and return to the States for a few months.
You know, I thought that I would MUCH rather be in Ireland this winter, but the longer we are here in Reykjavík the more I'm falling in love with this city. Also, despite all of my preconceptions about the weather, I'm finding that winters here are much milder than I originally thought.

As for the boat, she will definitely stay in the water. We've found an extremely protected spot rafted up to a fishing boat that will not be moving for the rest of the season. It is sheltered from both wind and waves and, whether we stay here or leave for a bit, Drake and I feel comfortable with this spot.
Old 09-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Best of luck to you both!!

Will the harbor freeze over in the winter? I have this vision of three feet of ice, which may demonstrate my misunderstanding of Iceland. Having to run bubblers all winter would worry me, if the ice was really bad. I'm sure you have it figured out.

Sorry the master plan didn't work out. What broke on the boat?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.