Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Affordable (Shoestring) Cruising

I only read about cruising on the "cheap" on forums.

Heck it costs me more per year to weekend sail and maintain my boat for the 7 month season than what some forum people say they are going to cruise and live on their boat full time.
Old 09-24-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

I believe the OP's comment "I won't go without XXX" belongs in the Sex While Aboard thread. Sorry, just couldn't resist!
vega1860 and zeehag like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

each and every cruise and cruiser is different-- from needs to effecting the plan or spontaneous reaction. yes in many cases cruising was a spontaneous reaction.

people with money are not necessarily rich.
many moneyed souls do not know how to get thru many problems with the boat--they call a repairsoul.. now, if the derelict sailor is able to keep his engine running, that air in system mr money has can be dealt with sans drama. mebbe even mr money can learn something from derelict sailor. life rocks.

derelict sailor learns from mr money that he can make money while cruising--yeah, drifting from place to place with a boat is actually cruising.... imagine that!

boat need not be too small for comfort--it costs as much to fix a small uncomfortable to me boat as it does to fix my nice comfy ketch. i know, as i am doing and have done exactly that of which i speak.

there are those of us between rich and poor, financially speaking--and we seem to be intermediaries for the derelict sailor and mr money for repairing in remote places.
we hobnob with you in marinas and you dont even know we are on the edge of that omg word used dereliction...lol
and some of y'all seem to think i am beyond the edge of dereliction---that is a good thing to think--i am averse to having myself injured and robbed in strange places. i am not the boat that will be invaded come bandidos with malintent.
you see, another plus to sailing without much dough---bandidos hit the shiny boats with affect of money.

cruising on the cheap is essentially finding the places to repair boat with maximum parts availability and maximum anchorage comfort and safety --i am able to buy marina space in summer and my repair friend uses that benefit to save costs and effect repairs with minimal challenge. we both win.

by the way--i AM out here cruising on cheap--
it takes less money to use boat full time than to use it part time, btw. especially when one is not within the bounds of i gotta pay more, usa
vega1860 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 09-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

The talk about dumpster diving and make/fix stuff on a floating world brings a tear to my eye. Location is a major factor in cheap maritime living. I've sailed Med. Atlantic. Carib, Mexico,Thailand,India Arctic as crew or skipper on other peoples vessels. I can only guess at how tough it would be to survive for any time without a constant renewal of pocket change. The only advantage of boating where every body wants to sail is that it's more likely to be warmer For me, usually too warm .Here on the coast, it was easy. Free timber from old buildings . Our culture threw out just about everything one might need. Moorage was $17 a month and dead batteries worth $5. Beer bottles 10 cents. Up the coast it was easy to live off the land. 30 years went by.Barter /trade of time and skills (including offshore sailing) made life stressless.Besides, the boat was a great chick magnet.Today things are a bit different; Most of the urban niche opportunities are filled with recyclers and others trying to get by (competition) and my downtown moorrage is over a grand/month.Up the coast things are still good and some are still living the life but lack of practical skills and the need for WiFi liimit their mobility.For me,tourism was a neat easy way to pay a few bills and eventually grew to absorb me, body and part of my soul. Not cruising but I command paying 'crews' to haul away several times a day and keep score by turning 6 figures in 4 months. Beats teaching , where I only got 2 months off a year. ps, I still recycle for cash.
Old 09-24-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
I'm not a sailor yet.
I want a boat to go and chase the horizon.
27-32 ft. fiberglass monohul, inboard engine.
solid hull solid deck. rigging and sails.
details details details I may not be the stingiest man alive but
i am in contention.

What more do I need?
I should have included Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach : A Philosophic and Practical Approach to Cruising By Don Casey, Lew Hackler as one of the essential books for anyone who wants to cruise simply. It was really an inspiration and an eye-opener for me.
bristol299bob likes this.

Old 09-24-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Where?

Unless its in the USA and someone has taken a boat as cheap/free accomodation. But you say "Cruising" in your title.

So tell me, where have you seen someone cruising long range dumpster diving? Subsistance hunting and fishing? WHERE?

Because its just not occuring. I have not seen one instance of it. So if its happening its not happening cruising. It may be happening with poor livaboards in the USA but they are not cruising.

Mark
In SE Alaska it is quite easily done. We have also seen it in Hawaii and spoke to people who cruised in boats they either built themselves (A 35 ft steel cutter) or rescued from abandonment (A 26 foot Plastic Classic that arrived at Kawaihae from Mexico). One couple we met in Alaska had recently returned from OZ, NZ and French Polynesia took us out for a tour of Prince of Wales Is. in a pickup truck they had purchased for scrap and re-powered with an industrial diesel engine they had converted to run on used vegetable (French fry) oil they got for free from local fast food joints. They offered us lunch of food they had "Liberated" from the dumpster behind a local supermarket. When we offered to share some fresh King salmon we had been given (8 lbs of fillets) by one of the local commercial boats, they declined as they already had more than they could store and were, themselves, giving it away.

In Hawaii, on the island of Lanai, we were given fresh venison and fish aplenty. You may not be able to get fresh venison or moose outside the US but I am pretty sure fish swim just about everywhere. In Hawaii, on the neighbor islands fishing and, to a lesser extent, hunting for food is common. Here in Alaska just about everyone is engaged in subsistence hunting and fishing to some degree and every supermarket tosses perfectly good food out the back door in every town and city we have ever visited (Though we ourselves have not engaged in dumpster diving, we see no reason it would not be feasible).

I suppose "Cruising" means sailing from one big city marina to the next for some people, or sitting under a palm tree with a drink that has a parasol in it. To each his own. We have done that too. But if you think cruising as we have described is not happening or dumpster diving is something only for the urban poor, I think you need to get out more.

Last edited by vega1860; 09-24-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Another great book for the real hard-core minimalist is Sailing the Farm by Ken Neumeyer. It was published in 1981, so many of the details are out of date, but it provides a lot of ideas around living cheaply.
Old 09-24-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post

I suppose "Cruising" means sailing from one big city marina to the next for some people, or sitting under a palm tree with a drink that has a parasol in it. To each his own. We have done that too. But if you think cruising as we have described is not happening or dumpster diving is something only for the urban poor, I think you need to get out more.
I totally agree and it is very geographically dependent. The inside passage, AK and Canada, would be full of opportunities to live a subsistence life. We have many friends that live a subsistence lifestyle up here. Never had really heard of such a thing in the lower 48 but common in AK.

Is it very hard work and a hard life? Yes, especially if you are not really up to it. But it is very possible, and many do it up here. Personally, I think doing it in SE AK from a boat would be much easier than those that i know that do it hundreds of miles from any real city at -50F. That is tough living.

Also, when you travel in places like AK, BC, Yukon etc, it is actually pretty easy to earn extra money if you have some talents. This is a resource rich but people poor part of the world. Quite the opposite of most cruiser destinations.

EDIT: on the plus side, ice is easy to come by, the seafood is abundant and fantastic, venison is unbelievably common, and wow is it pretty.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 09-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

The used sailboat market in Bellingham will be buzzing if this keeps up.As in most topics, reading about it is not the same as doing it but just in case ,we west coasters could discuss the pros and cons , dwelling on the cons, of our wet cold desolate coast.
Old 09-24-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
The used sailboat market in Bellingham will be buzzing if this keeps up.As in most topics, reading about it is not the same as doing it but just in case ,we west coasters could discuss the pros and cons , dwelling on the cons, of our wet cold desolate coast.

Very good point. Too cold up here in fact, and once you have seen one glacier you have seen them all. Fish taste fishy. Venison is really dry. In fact there are crazy people everywhere.

Seriously though, it is VERY different. People don't realize that living this far north is a serious life and must be taken as such. As an anecdotal example, I have SPOKEN at more funerals here in 10 years than I have ATTENDED in my previous 35. I have friends with missing fingers, one couple eaten by a bear, one crushed by a loader etc. Can you live outside of society up here? Yes. Will it be hard work and maybe tragic. Possibly. The Risk/Reward equation is calculated differently than lets say Florida or Texas.