Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: The Art of Washing Clothes Aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I just want to be clear that my experience with them is second hand knowledge. I have always tried to point that out. So you may be perfectly happy with it. As I said, cost not an object or space, I would have one!

But for $55 bucks, kinda hard to go wrong with the wonderwash too. If you don't like it, toss it off to another cruiser.

Brian
Friends of ours sailing a sister ship to ours that are sitting out hurricane season in Trinidad purchased a Little Wonder and report they have been very happy with it. According to them, using only a modest amount of soap and very hot water--a tea kettle's worth from the galley--makes a big difference in terms of cleaning. A hand cranked wringer also comes in handy. Our approach has always been a bit more rudimentary. A black plastic trash bag with a few pounds of dirty clothes, and a gallon or two soapy water, left out in the sun and flopped over and squeezed a few times for several hours seems to get things pretty clean and the water, dumped on the foredeck as the bag is emptied, allows one to give that a scrub as well. We rinse the clothes with our anchor wash-down hose, and then rinse the clothes in a bucket or two of fresh water. Towels are the hardest things to get cleaned and rinsed but with the amount of rain we generally have in Florida during the season, rinsing isn't that much of a problem. We long ago got into using dark blue towels as the dark colors seem to dry relatively more quickly than white and they can be stretched over our Navy Blue sail cover and are pretty much are invisible so that the ship doesn't look like an escapee from the Hooligan Navy.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Or you could do what Cary Grant did in "Charade"...

Kills two birds with one stone.
Old 09-25-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried this?
"The Breathing Mobile Washer"
About Us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have a Splendide and find it very useful. The unvented model does not dry cotton well, but does fine with synthetics. However, it needs 110v and the drying mode actually uses water in the unvented model. With no hot air vent, it heats the drum, creates condensation by cooling the outside and rinsing it away.

It's best to just wash and spin, which at worst comes out better than hand wringing. We run the washer about once per week when cruising, but would need to do so much more if living aboard full time. We do so, when running the generator anyway. Washing sans drying takes 30 to 45 mins, no fuss, no muss.
bwalker42 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Friends of ours sailing a sister ship to ours that are sitting out hurricane season in Trinidad purchased a Little Wonder and report they have been very happy with it. According to them, using only a modest amount of soap and very hot water--a tea kettle's worth from the galley--makes a big difference in terms of cleaning. A hand cranked wringer also comes in handy. Our approach has always been a bit more rudimentary. A black plastic trash bag with a few pounds of dirty clothes, and a gallon or two soapy water, left out in the sun and flopped over and squeezed a few times for several hours seems to get things pretty clean and the water, dumped on the foredeck as the bag is emptied, allows one to give that a scrub as well. We rinse the clothes with our anchor wash-down hose, and then rinse the clothes in a bucket or two of fresh water. Towels are the hardest things to get cleaned and rinsed but with the amount of rain we generally have in Florida during the season, rinsing isn't that much of a problem. We long ago got into using dark blue towels as the dark colors seem to dry relatively more quickly than white and they can be stretched over our Navy Blue sail cover and are pretty much are invisible so that the ship doesn't look like an escapee from the Hooligan Navy.

FWIW...
Not sure if I was clear, but I have (and use) the Wonder Wash. I do not have a Splendide.

Minne - good feedback there.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Not sure if I was clear, but I have (and use) the Wonder Wash. I do not have a Splendide.

Minne - good feedback there.

Brian
Brian--Our pals aboard Ocean Angel have the same laundry ball as you, which they refer to as the "Little Wonder". Perhaps in should be written "little Wonder [Wash]". We haven't gotten one as, these days, on our travels, periodic stops at reciprocal yacht clubs commonly gives us access to inexpensive washers and dryers and, when not, the black trash bag trick seems to work reasonably well save for towels.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Brian--Our pals aboard Ocean Angel have the same laundry ball as you, which they refer to as the "Little Wonder". Perhaps in should be written "little Wonder [Wash]". We haven't gotten one as, these days, on our travels, periodic stops at reciprocal yacht clubs commonly gives us access to inexpensive washers and dryers and, when not, the black trash bag trick seems to work reasonably well save for towels.
No worries. Tell you what, next time you are out, come by and we will let you give it a try (with our clothes of course). Hehe. Just kidding.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-26-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Actually, we seem have solved the towel laundry problem.

I got two shamwow's and sewed them together. They make a great towel and dry practically instantly.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 09-27-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

The easiest thing is to open a pack of new socks and throw the dirty ones in the trash. j/k!

Where does everyone store their dirty clothes ?

Please support my
Old 09-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
...Where does everyone store their dirty clothes ?
Great question. I'm interested to hear full time liveaboard answers. I use a medium sized soft duffle, essentially ready to grab and go do the laundry at any time. Trouble is, no good place to hide the duffle. It just gets shuffled around in our stateroom.

When necessary to do sheets, you just do laundry (ashore) immediately. Way too big to squirrel away.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 09-27-2013 at 01:14 AM.