Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Art of Washing Clothes Aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Great question. I'm interested to hear full time liveaboard answers. I use a medium sized soft duffle, essentially ready to grab and go do the laundry at any time. Trouble is, no good place to hide the duffle. It just gets shuffled around in our stateroom.

When necessary to do sheets, you just do laundry (ashore) immediately. Way too big to squirrel away.
Hi Minnie and Wind,

Before the current setup, we kept a hamper in one of the heads. The hamper was a cloth one. Been a long time so I don't have pics.

Here is what we use now...

Works great. Clothes don't roll around and it is tidy. Basically, we used a piece of cedar plank (tongue and grooved, you can buy it like this at Home Depot, like we did), and cut it into pieces that fit just behind the door jam. The reason we did this instead of a long, solid piece is it allows you to add planks (via tongue-and-groove) as the clothes pile up, but also pull planks out to get to the clothes (because my arms simply aren't that long).

This may not work fore everyone, it is simply what works for us.

Brian
bwalker42 and Minnewaska like this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Nigel Calder mentions a good method in his Cruising Handbook: The stomp on the clothes if taking a shower method. If using the shower aboard, why let fresh water escape before it does a second task? I have done this a number of times when no shoreside washer has been handy for a while and both I and the clothes have become a bit ripe:-).
Old 10-19-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Has anyone tried this?
"The Breathing Mobile Washer"
About Us
Hi vtsailguy. We use this Mobile Washer, both at our land-based home, and when we're cruising. We used a Wonder Washer for a number of years. It works well, but it is large for our small boat, requires hot water to be effective, and is kinda slow.

I've used plungers before, but the this breather plunger seems to be far more efficient. It's quick, uses no more water than the Wonder Washer, works just fine in cool water, and stores in a much smaller space.
Old 10-20-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Good info, thanks.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook