SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   New to the scene! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/104348-new-scene.html)

Belkone 10-02-2013 02:48 PM

New to the scene!

I am going to live on a sailboat starting Summer 2014. I've decided so, but I don't know how to get started, what to look into, what things I need to consider....basically, I know absolutely nothing about living aboard.... Throw some advice, words of wisdom, and whatever else you want at me so I can start towards my new lifestyle! Boat brand recommendations? Boat size, boat price, maintenance checklist for yearly, monthly, seasonally...etc, websites I should read, blogs I should comb over.... I live in San Diego and am currently still in college.

chucklesR 10-02-2013 02:53 PM

Re: New to the scene!

I'll let locals chime in on the San Diego details, but a) welcome aboard and b) start reading here on sailnet for info

Unkle Toad 10-02-2013 03:18 PM

welcome look around have fun read read read .. and learn to use the search function the answer to your question .. what ever it is, is most likely here somewhere.

jimgo 10-02-2013 10:17 PM

Welcome! This kind of question comes up quite frequently. Do some searching and read all the threads - most of the time people try to talk the OP out of the idea. Read all the reasons why, and take them to heart. We all love sailing, and many here live aboard, so the advice is offered with a great deal of concern for the new member, so be sure to read it carefully (yes, I repeated myself, but it's an important point). If, after reading a bunch of the posts, you still think living aboard is something you'd like to do, and if you can start establishing what your needs and budget are, post some questions and I'm sure you'll get LOTS of feedback.

I'm also not intending to stifle you or suggest that you shouldn't ask questions along the way. Ask away! But your generic request is likely to get the same kinds of responses as the others.

FirstCandC 10-03-2013 07:49 AM

You are in college in San Diego, and about to live on a sailboat. If that isn't living, then I don't know what is!!
Are you handy? If doing your own maintenance and repairs, you will save a ton of money. Do you have a regular monthly income to cover expenses? Are you a minimalist? One of the most important questions is HOW MUCH BUDGET do you have to purchase, and how much do you plan to spend per month?
If you want to live at a marina, you can start here: https://www.google.com/#q=san+diego+slip+rentals

If you want to save money and live on the hook, then you will need a source of alternative energy like solar panels and extra batteries, unless you want to top off your batteries via the alternator on your motor every day. A/C and refrigeration will kill your energy budget.

Good luck, and enjoy every minute of your endeavor.

Belkone 10-03-2013 06:09 PM

I am very hands on! I love fixing things and painting and duct tape! My main concern is the pricings of parts...

Seaduction 10-03-2013 06:21 PM

Let me Bing that for you!;)

chuck53 10-03-2013 08:01 PM

Before anyone can give advice, we need a lot more info. What is your budget to buy a boat? Monthly expense budget for slip rent, insurance, maintainence?
You say you want to live on a sailboat, but you didn't say anything about actually going out to sail on it, so do you just want to live on it, occasional cruise around the harbor or cross oceans? What creature comforts do you require? Stand up headroom? Gas stove? Refrigerated ice box. Enclosed head with shower? Hot water? Air conditioning? Room for overnight guests?
help us out a little more.

Markwesti 10-03-2013 09:09 PM

There will be no duct tape !! HA HA ! Welcome aboard .

chuck53 10-03-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markwesti (Post 1098544)
There will be no duct tape !! HA HA ! Welcome aboard .

Hey, you can't own a boat without having a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40. That's standard equipment.