Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Re: Galley Oven

Well...both luck and timing are on my side! My new slip neighbor purchased an OI41 just a few days after I purchased mine. He is wanting to get rid of the alcohol stove and has offered to swap for my electric. This will give me an opportunity to try out the alcohol stove with no outlay of $$$!. Should this not work out for us, I can go propane. Is crazy how things work out sometimes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Might have some good news for ya...

Don's Discount in Tampa had a used propane stove the last time I was there. I bet that isn't the only one. It looked to be in good shape ad was a Princess I think (my favorite). I also bet you can find a lot of the parts you want from there and save a LOT of money. I got some things from them and it was insane price differences versus your local West Marine.

Where are you keeping your boat? We spent a lot of time in St Pete. Loved it there.

Brian

PS Definitely go propane, but do it right. If you do decide to go ahead with the camping stove, for about $15, you can get a converter to go from the little green bottles to a full sized propane bottle. You could even run an extension on it to keep it outside the boat. That is not how I would do it. Like Mark, I think do it right the first time. But we are (like Mark) live aboards so our perception on these things can be different from weekenders. I am not a fan of alcohol stoves. Too expensive and too much of a pain to get alcohol. Propane is readily available everywhere (though it can often be a walk). I have often said that cruisers covet propane more than anything because it always seems to involve a long walk or taxi ride. I cannot imagine the pain that alcohol would give!! I have never used a diesel stove, but I would research it given how we use our boat. The thought of being able to stop at any marina and get 'fuel' would be awesome... but I suspect those diesel stoves stink like the diesel heaters do. But again, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook