Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Galley Oven

I have recently purchased a Morgan 41 Out Island which was originally equipped with an electric stove/oven. In my opinion, this was not the best choice as it requires either shore power or running the genny to even heat up a pot of coffee. I am swapping this out and am currently looking at the options. I am considering an alcohol stove/oven but am hesitant as this would require I carry yet another fuel type. The propane option is also under consideration, but this has always worried me as I never fully trust the electronic shutoffs, etc. In addition, the propane plumbing and associated hardware raises the cost of this option considerably.

Has anyone tried fitting a camp stove/oven as seen here? It seems a gimbal kit could be easily added and the overall cost is very attractive at ~$200. This propane solution would not require any plumbing or electronic shutoffs as it can be operated from the 1lb canisters easily disconnected when not in use.

Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Kitchen & Dining

I am curious to hear if anyone is using a similar setup and what their experience has been with long term usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Galley Oven-camp-stove.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Galley Oven

Where would the gas cylinder be when it the stove is in use?

If it is inside the boat this would be a BAD THING! A seriously BAD THING.

Use it on a cockpit table with cockpit drains hmm might be OK but not really practicable.

Also I suspect that you will find that the burners are not stainless steel and rust away within months.

Long term a Force 10 is the way to go. Mine is at least 7 years old and gets used daily. All the burners are original, the only thing that is dicky is the ignition and I could posssibly fix this AGAIN!
Old 10-03-2013
Salty

Good points to ponder, thanks!....

"Where would the gas cylinder be when it the stove is in use?" It appears the regulator attaches in the back of the unit which I believe could be extended.

If it is inside the boat this would be a BAD THING! A seriously BAD THING." Interested to understand how this would be much different from a traditional "plumbed" propane oven. As explained above, the tank could be separated from the open flame via extension by 3-4 feet, thereby removing the cylinder from the "danger zone".

"Also I suspect that you will find that the burners are not stainless steel and rust away within months." Per the ad, the description states the burners are brass and should hold up well in that environment.
Old 10-03-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

The problem is the gas cylinder being inside the boat. You want to keep the cylinder in a separate vapour proof locker vented over the side.

I believe that there is a US code on this and failure to meet the code will make insurance a problem.

See http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/propane-systems.asp"]http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/propane-systems.asp[/URL]

The stove on its own might do the job and at sub $200 is a bargain when compared with a similar Force 10 at $1200 although that comes with gimbals.

I used a Flavell Vanessa on my first boat as a cheap stove. It did the job but I needed new grill and top burners every two to three years. It was enamel and brass.
Old 10-03-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
I have recently purchased a Morgan 41 Out Island .
If you bought an Out Islander to go out island I would get a propper marine Eno or Force 10 stove and plum it in properly with a propane system. The propane haters have gone out with the Elivs killed JFK mob.

The stove is the only thing on a boat that one uses more than the dinghy! Its the second most used thing on this boat except the head (used to issue internet advice). Its used 3 meals per day and sundry cups of coffee at anchor and at sea even more!

Unless you are required by law dump the idea of an electronic solinoid.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2013
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If you bought an Out Islander to go out island I would get a propper marine Eno of Force 10 stove and plum it in properly with a propane system. The propane haters have gone out with the Elivs killed JFK mob.

The stove is the only thing on a boat that one uses more than the dinghy! Its the second most used thing on this boat except the head (used to issue internet advice). Its used 3 meals per day and sundry cups of coffee at anchor and at sea even more!

Unless you are required by law dump the idea of an electronic solinoid.

Mark
I admit, I am being swayed by short term costs vs long term convenience/use. My Citation has the propane Force 10 and the wife has gotten used to its idiosyncrasies (hot spots, etc). Maybe I will get the portable oven for the Citation and swap for the Force 10...hmmm!
Old 10-03-2013

nkamper is on a distinguished road

How much do the gas canisters run for this stove? You could end up spending less up front but way more in the long run if you are using small disposable canisters. Don't know if this is the case, but if they are disposable then that becomes another issue too. I think there's probably a good reason that the marine industry settled on the choices that they did. Just something else to consider.
Old 10-03-2013
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
How much do the gas canisters run for this stove? You could end up spending less up front but way more in the long run if you are using small disposable canisters. Don't know if this is the case, but if they are disposable then that becomes another issue too. I think there's probably a good reason that the marine industry settled on the choices that they did. Just something else to consider.
Agreed. My thought was to refill the 1lb canisters using an available adapter. I was going to install a 20lb cylinder in a vented locker on deck but am trying to avoid plumbing anything below if at all possible. If going this route proves to be unsafe, I will simply do what needs to be done.....
Old 10-03-2013

seaner97 is on a distinguished road
Galley Oven

Second the insurance issue. If you're unlucky enough to blow you(and the boats around you) up but survive, I doubt your insurance will cover you (or the Hinkley you damaged ).
Old 10-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkamper View Post
Well I doubt you would ever live long enough to make up the difference in price in propane. It is going to cost at least two grand to install propane oven and system to ABYC standards in order to make the insurance company happy. But I think the safety factor is the real issue. The canisters are just plain unsafe in the cabin. I could see a single burner that you keep outside the cabin for occasional weekend use, but if you want to actually cook then a properly set up system is in order. You basically have four choices, a propane system, non pressurized alcohol, kerosene or diesel system (going down in popularity). I think the Orgo non pressurized stoves are expensive but a real option as install costs are very low. Basically they will bolt in place where ever the electric stove was, if it physically fits. A proper Marine propane system will cook the most like a home stove, and is very continent, and safe if all systems are working and monitored. Kero and diesel systems are a bit more limited in availability, but have there advocates.

Does anyone make a CNG system anymore? Seems to have the advantage of cooking like propane, but safer (gas rises). One would think with all the supply of natural gas it should be becoming more available. Seems in the North East at least many marinas offer exchange tanks, but I have heard complaints of trying to get fuel for them. That brings up a big issue, make sure you check local availability of the fuel where you plan on being.

To play devils advocate I have heard mixed things about these stoves. There are several reviews of folks using them on the Sailfar forum. Some like them, others seem to have had issues with them not being very reliable for frequent use. But saying that I could not recommend using one on a boat, and that is a nice boat and deserves a proper setup. I assume you are planning on keeping it for a while.
jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.