SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   End of the trip, now what....too much stuff? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/104388-end-trip-now-what-too-much-stuff.html)

F15EWSO 10-03-2013 02:59 PM

End of the trip, now what....too much stuff?

OK,
so we've sold the boat and unloaded all our "stuff" at my sister's in North Carolina. Now we need to get to the Naples area in Florida. Problem is we have our "stuff" from a 43 foot boat and are trying to cram it into a Ford Explorer along with 2 cats. The obvious solution (and original plan) was get a U-Haul trailer but there is a problem....U-Haul will NOT rent a trailer to a Ford SUV; this dates back to the rollover/Firestone issues from over a decade ago. I've scoured the other rentals (Penske, Hertz, etc ) for a trailer but no one that I know rents trailers for a one-way to SW Florida. Talking to moving companies and our load is so small by their standards that it is almost cost-prohibitive to move it....spending more moving it than its actual value (yet we have sentimental attachment for example)
Can anyone offer a different approach to get our stuff down to Florida.

Seaduction 10-03-2013 03:02 PM

Re: End of the trip, now what....too much stuff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by F15EWSO (Post 1098332)
OK,
so we've sold the boat and unloaded all our "stuff" at my sister's in North Carolina. Now we need to get to the Naples area in Florida. Problem is we have our "stuff" from a 43 foot boat and are trying to cram it into a Ford Explorer along with 2 cats. The obvious solution (and original plan) was get a U-Haul trailer but there is a problem....U-Haul will NOT rent a trailer to a Ford SUV; this dates back to the rollover/Firestone issues from over a decade ago. I've scoured the other rentals (Penske, Hertz, etc ) for a trailer but no one that I know rents trailers for a one-way to SW Florida. Talking to moving companies and our load is so small by their standards that it is almost cost-prohibitive to move it....spending more moving it than its actual value (yet we have sentimental attachment for example)
Can anyone offer a different approach to get our stuff down to Florida.

Rent a truck from Penske and tow the explorer behind with a car dolly.

aprilsails 10-03-2013 03:03 PM

Can you find a used flatbed trailer on Craigslist, load your stuff on it with tarps and rope, and sell it when you get to Florida?

Tim R. 10-03-2013 03:09 PM

Buy a trailer from HD and sell it in FL.

F15EWSO 10-03-2013 03:15 PM

The truck/dolly combination is upwards of $850 and then gas. For that I can ship the stuff. Hoping to bring this in for less $$. For the trailer I think I need to get license and registration. I'm looking into that. Keep the ideas coming

Bene505 10-03-2013 03:32 PM

Tie it on top. And get a trailer-hitch "shelf" at Harbor Freight Tool to put some on the back. (Really not associated with them, they just are inexpensive/cheap.)

Regards,
Brad

F15EWSO 10-03-2013 03:33 PM

Latest solution. Brilliant wife is booking with Budget RAC at local airport (RDU) for a one way to Ft Myers with a "one way drop off" 2 days for ~$210 plus gas on a Dodge Caravan. This will accommodate the "overage" of stuff that won't fit in the Explorer. Still open to other creative ideas if anyone has an epiphany.

Tim R. 10-03-2013 03:35 PM

How about getting a pallet and loading your stuff onto it. Secure it down with some industrial plastic film or shrink wrap. Ship it truck freight. They should be fine with shipping a pallet. You may not get to your exact destination. It is cheaper if you drop off and pick up at their distribution facilities. I believe UPS and Fedex also offer pallet shipping between distribution centers.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...e/freight.html

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...ckage-freight/

Rhapsody-NS27 10-03-2013 03:39 PM

how about PODS?

F15EWSO 10-03-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 1098358)
How about getting a pallet and loading your stuff onto it. Secure it down with some industrial plastic film or shrink wrap. Ship it truck freight. They should be fine with shipping a pallet. You may not get to your exact destination. It is cheaper if you drop off and pick up at their distribution facilities. I believe UPS and Fedex also offer pallet shipping between distribution centers.

UPS: Preparing Your Freight Shipment

How to Pack LTL Freight - Greater Than 150 Lbs - FedEx

Tim,
thanks I'll investigate that as the Rental Car can be cancelled up to the last minute.