Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
The further south you set off for the Bahamas the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
DO NOT LEAVE FOR THE ABACOS FROM ANY FURTHER NORTH THAN FORT WORTH.
I know I'm one of few voices in the wilderness, but I would suggest that with a well-found boat and a decent crew, y'all are already WAY too far South.

On a Dufour 45 Norfolk to Marsh Harbour should be just over four days. Easy run. Some delivery skippers (including me) do owner-aboard jumps over. Many owners find that the cost of a ride-along skipper is less expensive than the fuel and other costs to run down the ICW to Florida before hopping across.

If you like the ICW, its many lovely places to stop, and the natural splendors it has to offer than that is great. If you just want to go to the Bahamas there is no need to drone down the waterway to reach your goal.

Someday I'll spend Thanksgiving in St. Marys GA. In the meantime, I'll leave Norfolk or Beaufort after the 1 Nov insurance date and make the Abacos (or Exumas) well before Thanksgiving. Some years I can do it twice. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013

ambitious/rubbish is on a distinguished road

I mean the ditch was fun in someways and has its purpose, but I'm after some open water. Seems there is definitely a wrong way to do things, but with proper route planning there are many routes and options. One more day of ICW to Beaufort/ Hilton Head, and if conditions are right its off to Abacos, if not more ICW until the weather is good and a window opens. Under good conditions it sounds fine to cross from anywhere between Cape Hatteras and Miami. Also, checking buoyweather.com, looks like there is a major lull in the Stream almost due East from Hilton Head, while the Stream up FL is much much stronger.
Old 10-14-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I know I'm one of few voices in the wilderness, but I would suggest that with a well-found boat and a decent crew, y'all are already WAY too far South.

On a Dufour 45 Norfolk to Marsh Harbour should be just over four days.
Crikey, now I gotta start agreeing with you!

I agree with Auspicious, Norfolk is a good jumping off place.
Last year I did the ICW and it was great becasue I am Australian and it was my touristy thing to do. But once done I dont need to do it again. I was doing about 50 nms per day and often times had to spend nights in marinas to fill the days in with motoring.

Going outside is only 675 nms, about 6 days and once outside the Gulf Stream you can see the current drops off a lot, and there's eddies.
Just plugging away at it will be much quicker than the ICW and much cheaper.

Someone with local knowledge may be able to do the beach hopping thing inside the west wall of the Gulf Stream, but I dont think thats necessary.

the ICW is nice but its loooooong.

A 6 day cruise is over within a week. Great maths eh?!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream-capture_001_14102013.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-14-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2013

priscilla is on a distinguished road

Where are you entering the Bahamas? The approach from the north is difficult, reefs and sandbanks. The Walkers cay channel is narrow and shallow and local knowledge is critical. . My boat draws 5' 4" and coming in thru Walkers Cay was touch and go...then its shallow all the way down to Sale Cay. You need really good weather...and you don't want to be north of the Bank in the dark. Sailnet people are giving you good advice!
Old 10-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Without some local assistance, it could be a mistake to try entering from the east into Walker's. Don't think I'd try it. The prevailing wind from the east could present a "rage" condition as you arrive.

As far as the Gulf Stream goes, it varies in speed considerably. This has to be figured on a current basis (no pun). It's not always running at 4 knots and only runs max right in the center (which also needs to be checked as to position). On Passage Weather today, for instance, current adjacent to Ft. Pierce is running quite slow:http://www.passageweather.com/maps/f.../rtofs/024.png
so if setting out the actual current needs to be figured and not some rule of thumb about how fast the Stream runs.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
Where are you entering the Bahamas? The approach from the north is difficult, reefs and sandbanks. The Walkers cay channel is narrow and shallow and local knowledge is critical. . My boat draws 5' 4" and coming in thru Walkers Cay was touch and go...then its shallow all the way down to Sale Cay. You need really good weather...and you don't want to be north of the Bank in the dark. Sailnet people are giving you good advice!
I cross the Gulf Stream from Norfolk at 135T head East of the Bahamas and enter the Sea of Abaco through North Man O' War Cut. If weather is bad I stand off or go another day and enter in Nassau. I don't see anything like shallow water until into the inlet. Easy peasy.

Auspicious draws 6' and I've done it on boats to 7' plus.

Old 10-14-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

The OP is a novice. Encouraging him to do things that are better suited for experienced sailors is irresponsible and reckless.
Some people seem to be full of bad advice.
Old 10-14-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I cross the Gulf Stream from Norfolk at 135T head East of the Bahamas and enter the Sea of Abaco through North Man O' War Cut. If weather is bad I stand off or go another day and enter in Nassau. I don't see anything like shallow water until into the inlet. Easy peasy.
As he says North Man o War cut is easy peasy. 30 feet deep in the cut and .8 of a NM INSIDE the island before it gets down to 15 feet.
You can ring and ask for conditions on the VHF.
If theres a big swell from the North try North Bar Channel, which is tucked in, and 13nm south.

Certainly not irrisponsable or reckless.

Mark

Old 10-15-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
The OP is a novice. Encouraging him to do things that are better suited for experienced sailors is irresponsible and reckless.
Some people seem to be full of bad advice.
Please note that I earlier suggested anyone with concerns about the offshore hop to the Bahamas take along a delivery skipper or other experienced sailor. The costs can be balanced against the fuel, food, and marina expenses you DON'T incur motoring down the ICW.

I do owner-aboard deliveries regularly. I have colleagues who do the same that I would be happy to refer anyone to if I'm booked or if anyone feels my counsel is self-serving.

Granted I have a warped sense of humor but I enjoy meeting up with people in the Bahamas who I saw in Norfolk or Hampton and have just arrived a month after I did. *grin*

Old 10-15-2013

ambitious/rubbish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys, much of it is sound. In particular, all advice about weather, and approaches to avoid will be heeded, I don't think there is one right way to do any passage, but there are certainly wrong ways.

The Bahamas is only our first destination around Cuba. From there we are going for Turks-DR-Jamaica-Caymans-Cozumel-Florida. Bahamas as currently planned would be the longest leg, being a 5-6 day passage, while most of the other hops should be 2-3 days of 24 hour cruising.

Also, what may be lost is that I am approaching this trip with a significant amount of flexibility. I certainly intend to make a passage from SC-Bahamas, but if we arrive in Charleston facing 2 weeks of North Wind, I'll be spending that time down the ICW to FL. While I may not be superbly experienced, there is only one way to become an experienced sailor. Proper planning and reasonable precaution will ensure the experience does not come at a great cost. Also, there have been tens of thousands of dollars invested into the boat, including new rigging (lines, checked & cleaned sails), new Raymarine e120 nav. equipment, new high capacity alternator, feathering prop, etc.

Significant planning has been made for this trip, and I feel pretty well prepared, the baot couldn't be more prepared. I wanted to know why my plans were different than most, and if I should reconsider. So far it seems my plans are not out of reach, but I should have serious respect for weather and be prepared to alter plans as need, it seems flexibility would be judicious. As far as I can tell, in the right conditions a passage from SC-Bahamas is feasible and enjoyable, but in the wrong conditions it is miserable and potentially deadly.

Does anyone have a good understanding of the Blake Spur, and what happens with currents around there? Right now, assuming I get a good 4-5 day weather window, the activity around the Spur makes me think the leg has to be due East from Hilton Head above* the Spur, then S/SW to Abacos. Can anyone share insight on the currents/ conditions around the Spur, and whether/why it sound be avoided?

Last edited by ambitious/rubbish; 10-15-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: *edit for clarity, above, not over the Spur

Tags
bahamas , caribbean , florida , routes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.