Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is the average amount you ask for crew to contribute per day.
us $10 0 0%
us $15 1 0.93%
us $20 1 0.93%
us $30 0 0%
us $35 20 18.52%
us $40 53 49.07%
none - free on board. 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree52Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Rather than remove these two threads, I'm going to just remove the references to the boat that piclarke has an issue with. There are some good discussions going on that might benefit novices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Good. Now we know that you can successfully copy text from your other thread.

And that last part about the kids who died? A sad lesson but unrelated to the boat and crew that you are disparaging.

You know, a better way of going about this would have been to simply state the issue abstractly without pointing fingers at any particular boat and crew like you did in the link to your companion thread.

And all those emoticons in your signature are annoying.

May I respectfully disagree. The part re the to kids refers to skippers responsibility which a poster has stated its the crews responsibility and can be applied to all the responsibilities that are being argued as it was a test case and the authorities are now increasing applying that things in the past where designated an accident and forgiven. Not now more and more there is no accident sympathy and people are held to account by way of charges and prosecution. In the article they complained the life saving equipment had not been serviced, faulty and probably not suitable. The court case clearly demonstrates that providing a life jacket is in itself not sufficient. It must be the correct size for the wearer and the skipper must ensure that it is secure. The coroner found the child was given an oversize life jacket [ not sure how over sized it was ] but the deciding and crucial convicting part / neglect was the child was left to put it on himself and the skipper did not check that it was securely fitted / fastened on the child. He merely glanced and I might say that's what most people would do including skippers in most cases, except mothers I suppose, saw he was wearing the jacket and accepted he had actioned his responsibility, which proved fatal.

So accordingly it is something educational to remember and pass on to fellow friends and members that have not read this thread.

Where does it say in my posts that I have pointed fingers at that particular boat and crew.

Old 10-17-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
This is one of my hobby horses

It irritates me to read of cruising yachts behaving as if they're doing you a favour by asking you to pay e30, e40, or much more, per day to work / crew on their sailing yachts. Most of them call it "sharing expenses" but in my opinion, at that rate it is taking on working crew for profit.

Read more fully on this issue:

Link Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

then you must have a license. Sharing expenses is just that and nothing more. I have never asked anything of guests and they never ask me when I am their guest. I am having a problem with a lady friend that wants to go all the time, offers to buy lunch, but never has money when it comes time to pay so I pay, but if she sees something she wants and can't get me to buy it money miraculously appears. I did put my foot down and told her from now on she will have to pay expenses up front or she dosent go anymore.
piclarke likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bfloyd4445 For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have been guests on numerous occasions in various areas, and have had guests aboard on numerous occasions similarly, for as long as a couple of weeks at a time.

Obviously compatibility is numero uno.. and that's something very difficult to quantify ahead of time unless you already know the guests well. Even being family doesn't guarantee a harmonious cruise, does it??

But we find ourselves facing a bit of a double standard.. when we are guests we are happy/anxious to pay our share.. esp if we are being treated to an area we'd never otherwise enjoy. We're happy to pay moorage, food, customs fees, essentially the real costs of their having us aboard over that time. Sometimes we feel we have to 'push' that support but in the end it only seems fair.. especially if they've taken us to areas where they may have not gone had we not joined them..

But on the flip side I'm a bit embarrassed when they return the favour as our guests.. we never ask for anything, but they of course reciprocate, and I believe they're fine with that but I find it a bit uncomfortable. Largely, because rarely does the presence of guests change our plans, or add to expenses beyond food and drink..

In the end we accept it, of course.. and ultimately it works for everyone. But this is all a bit different from saying.. wanna come sailing? only $20/day!

Our arrangements have been between sailors, we've (each party) had our own boats and fully understand the logistics of cruising and upkeep... When dealing with nonsailing guest who would have no idea perhaps it is best to set some kind of support cost(but, I'd say, only if it's beyond a daysail) If we invited a workmate for an afternoon sail I'd certainly not expect them to bring cash.... beer maybe.... but not cash

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

We charge $50/day per person.

For that you get stale moldy bread, brackish water, at least one whipping per day and constant verbal abuse. You are required to clean the heads twice a day with your toothbrush.

We have a great time, right MS?
Old 10-17-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
This is one of my hobby horses

It irritates me to read of cruising yachts behaving as if they're doing you a favour by asking you to pay e30, e40, or much more, per day to work / crew on their sailing yachts. Most of them call it "sharing expenses" but in my opinion, at that rate it is taking on working crew for profit.

Read more fully on this issue:

Link Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Argyle38 likes this.
Old 10-17-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

If someone really needs a crew to sail his sailboat than money should not be asked but paid.
agree.
Anything associated with the running / berthing of the boat would be the owner's expense whether there were any crew aboard or not. Berthing is charged by the size of the boat, not how many people are on board, fuel costs the same. And wear and tear of the boat? Again, those are the responsibilities of the owner.

Another alternative is to be free on board, free meals when the owner dines ashore, plus drinks, plus drinks at all times ashore when accompany the owner plus paid airfares to and from the vessel which a lot of owners cruising offshore do except kiwis, Australian and a lot other nationalities can't comment, As can be seen by the poll at the moment there is that don't charge or are they non boat owners or affraid to declare they charge the anti posters. Because the poll at the moment there is more that don't charge than those that charge.

But if racing the owner normally would not go racing and a group talks him into racing the boat and they will contribute an amount to race at a agreed set figure per race to him to provide the boat then thats different.

Old 10-18-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post

For that you get stale moldy bread, brackish water, at least one whipping per day and constant verbal abuse. You are required to clean the heads twice a day with your toothbrush.

for that kind of money there should be at least one keel hauling or plank walking with an anchor....geez....
Old 10-18-2013

rrodak is on a distinguished road

I see said the blind man as he stares at the sea.
Old 10-18-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post

Damn, you are a tough captain and greedy SOB. Our crew only have to pay $45 a day and do the heads once a day.