Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is the average amount you ask for crew to contribute per day.
us $10 0 0%
us $15 1 0.93%
us $20 1 0.93%
us $30 0 0%
us $35 20 18.52%
us $40 53 49.07%
none - free on board. 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree52Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
agree.

Another alternative is to be free on board, free meals when the owner dines ashore, plus drinks, plus drinks at all times ashore when accompany the owner plus paid airfares to and from the vessel which a lot of owners cruising offshore do except kiwis, Australian and a lot other nationalities can't comment,
Punctuation is not clear, but I think I would be accused of being a Kiwi -pretty flattering company to keep for a sailor. I don't know anyone who pays for crew air fares too and from, although I was asked for this by a TransPac racer, a legend inhis own mind, who used to frequent SN.
Old 10-18-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
agree.
Anything associated with the running / berthing of the boat would be the owner's expense whether there were any crew aboard or not. Berthing is charged by the size of the boat, not how many people are on board, fuel costs the same. And wear and tear of the boat? Again, those are the responsibilities of the owner.
I gather from the website that these expeditions are supposed to have some positive social and environmental impact. As a volunteer you are opting to participate in that endeavor and help cover the costs for it as well as doing your share of the work involved. Presumably you hope to get something out of it as well, -otherwise you shouldn't do it.

You can't compare the dollar amount they charge to what someone else may or may not charge for an entirely different proposition.

Fuel, berthing, food, drink are all part of the costs of the expedition that you are opting to participate in. The costs to you are known up front. If you think they are out of line, then don't go.

Expecting a skipper to pay for your way home is crazy even if you can contort the spirit of some laws to back up your argument.

Now, if the sanitary conditions are terrible, the food inadequate, and the vessel unsafe, you have legitimate reason for complaint. Feel free to warn anybody else about that particular operation. I'm not sure why the name of that operation must be censored here since people are free to complain about other organizations if they feel the need.

My sense is that they rely a lot on volunteers and as such the people in charge of maintenance and provisioning may not be all that experienced. Which means that the degree of success in performing their duties can be very uneven. Your trip sounds like a horror story. Maybe all the expeditions are like that. Maybe others work out better. You are trusting an organization that more than likely operates on a shoestring.
piclarke likes this.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to unimacs For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Whenever I ask for help moving the boat somewhere, I try to provide food (and drinks after the anchor is down). Getting to and from the boat is their responsibility, unless I'm dead-headding a car back to the starting point.

Can't imagine charging them. Even DavidPM who keeps pointing out where I need to install cupholders and criticizing my sail trim. I guess since he's a Captain now, I should be feeding him steak and lobster.

Same for daysails. HugoSalt brought a bottle fine liquor once though. It was fantastic.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Punctuation is not clear, but I think I would be accused of being a Kiwi -pretty flattering company to keep for a sailor. I don't know anyone who pays for crew air fares too and from, although I was asked for this by a TransPac racer, a legend inhis own mind, who used to frequent SN.
Well you do now.

Nearly all my trips are that arrangement. Nearly as not for the first few years as I was inexperienced and sick off neglected boats with equipement that did not work and the food they supplied on board that motivated the change.

Reason could be Celestrial navigation qualifications. Requirement was for vessels leaving offshore had to have at least one person on board that could navigate using Celestrial navigation via Sextant and tables. A Statuory safety requirement.

I don't use the air sight reduction tables. Many boats could not find such qualified crew and could not leave and where quite releived I did not ask for payment as well. I was just happy to provide the service so as they could realise their desire / dreams, even before they had to hand their knife and fork in to do a offshore passage, cruise, race. I think the requirement still exisits. If you have a vessel and you can't navigate using celestrial navigation then you pay the going conditions/ demands / offers or stay in the marina.

Its a bit like sex. If you don,t ask you will not get a yes. But that has changed also.

OC

Old 10-18-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Whenever I ask for help moving the boat somewhere, I try to provide food (and drinks after the anchor is down). Getting to and from the boat is their responsibility, unless I'm dead-headding a car back to the starting point.

Can't imagine charging them. Even DavidPM who keeps pointing out where I need to install cupholders and criticizing my sail trim. I guess since he's a Captain now, I should be feeding him steak and lobster.

Same for daysails. HugoSalt brought a bottle fine liquor once though. It was fantastic.

Regards,
Brad
you mean you can't move your boat without help???...hummmm....well there are times when I solicit the help of some pretty female to assist me in going out on the water
Old 10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
I gather from the website that these expeditions are supposed to have some positive social and environmental impact. As a volunteer you are opting to participate in that endeavor and help cover the costs for it as well as doing your share of the work involved. Presumably you hope to get something out of it as well, -otherwise you shouldn't do it.

You can't compare the dollar amount they charge to what someone else may or may not charge for an entirely different proposition.

Fuel, berthing, food, drink are all part of the costs of the expedition that you are opting to participate in. The costs to you are known up front. If you think they are out of line, then don't go.

Expecting a skipper to pay for your way home is crazy even if you can contort the spirit of some laws to back up your argument.

Now, if the sanitary conditions are terrible, the food inadequate, and the vessel unsafe, you have legitimate reason for complaint. Feel free to warn anybody else about that particular operation. I'm not sure why the name of that operation must be censored here since people are free to complain about other organizations if they feel the need.

My sense is that they rely a lot on volunteers and as such the people in charge of maintenance and provisioning may not be all that experienced. Which means that the degree of success in performing their duties can be very uneven. Your trip sounds like a horror story. Maybe all the expeditions are like that. Maybe others work out better. You are trusting an organization that more than likely operates on a shoestring.
In the video / promo which I assume is a purely a false presentation about a expedition has young marrieds on board with young children and they - the expedition is accordingly to the review going to Antartica via NZ to the ross sea past the Chatam Islands. 60 ft waves plus and a storm every 14 days approx ??? NZ has some off the toughest exit regs in the world. Quite correctly so NZ is responsible for search and rescue operations. It does not compute.

But the question is where does the recreational definition end and the commercial definition start.

Please don"t say it does not matter. If so there is nothing in the agreement as to how the increase in capital value [ Vessel ] is devided when the expedition is concluded.

Last edited by piclarke; 10-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Univ students do all the research, while paying tuition. The prof gets the patent and makes big bucks.

Interns across the spectrum are paid little to nothing and often put in a lot of work.

Your mother should sue for non payment for services rendered!

The list goes on.
Old 10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Univ students do all the research, while paying tuition. The prof gets the patent and makes big bucks.

Interns across the spectrum are paid little to nothing and often put in a lot of work.

Your mother should sue for non payment for services rendered!

The list goes on.
I.m not a Student, I,m a equivalent to a tutor, instructor and I have to pay someone with less experience less qualifications and add thousands in dollars in value to his asset so i get to pee in his toilet.

Old 10-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

When I let myself on my boat, it averages out to cost me around $50-75 a day to go sailing. Most people who sail with me are guests and the pay nothing at all.

But there are some people who have such unreasonably inconsiderate and spoiled personalities that I would not allow them on my boat unless I absolutely had to. Those people I charge 35 euro's a day, and insist that they help with sailing the boat and doing maintenance. If they agree to those terms then its their problem not mine.

If they straighten out the price is free, if they stay for months and don't straighten out I double the price and insist that they also complain on sailing forums so other people can ridicule them and help straighten them out, or at least can see what I had to put up with.

I hope that helps you,

Jeff
xort, tdw, keturah and 2 others like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
you mean you can't move your boat without help???...hummmm....well there are times when I solicit the help of some pretty female to assist me in going out on the water
I solo about half the time. But it's great to have company. Company that can sail is even better.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Closed Thread