Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is the average amount you ask for crew to contribute per day.
us $10 0 0%
us $15 1 0.93%
us $20 1 0.93%
us $30 0 0%
us $35 20 18.52%
us $40 53 49.07%
none - free on board. 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree52Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

I like sleeping. I like the knowledge I gain and the pleasure of other sailors company. Therefore,I have crew on occasion. To date they have been friends or friends of friends. No money has changed hands. No one has shown up without contributing to provisions or otherwise contributing to expenses. No one has ever been asked as if I thought they wouldn't some how contribute they would not have been invited in the first place. I suppose if I needed to hire crew in the future the op concerns would not be germaine either. I think if the ops believes he has so much to offer perhaps he should charge for it. I hope he never crews for me.
Old 10-18-2013
Banned

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Damn, you are a tough captain and greedy SOB. Our crew only have to pay $45 a day and do the heads once a day.
Here is a quote from the one of the web masters at Cruiser L.

His spin on the issue.

I might ad when he sees what he thinks is over charging he tells them to go to a commercial sight and pay the advertisement charge to get crew.

"Crew can legitimately be requested to pay much of their own expenses when it comes to food, alcohol and entertainment....expenses which would not be incurred by the vessel's owner if the crew were not on board. However the owner/skipper still needs to make some concessions, as without the crew many vessels simply could not move for more than a day at a time. Owners should pay for normal running expenses and still buy the crew a good feed after a passage.

I am not abnormally vain, but I like to think that when crew leaves me behind, they take with them positive memories about the trip, the boat and me.

'User pays' is a fact of life for banks, insurance companies, communications and airlines conglomerates...but as cruisers we still inhabit a world of sharing experiences, caring and courtesy.

I see nothing wrong with trying to make money from sailing if that is what takes your fancy; but be honest about it, get certified, surveyed, compete with legitimate charter boats, and pay for your marketing."

"David."
[/B]
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
I.m not a Student, I,m a equivalent to a tutor, instructor and I have to pay someone with less experience less qualifications and add thousands in dollars in value to his asset so i get to pee in his toilet.
When you go on one of their "expeditions" it is made pretty clear that you are volunteering your services. The fact that somebody else might be willing to pay handsomely for your services is irrelevant. Nobody made you enter into this arrangement. You understood that you would be making a contribution of your own money to help cover the expenses of the trip.

To me it's very much like a church mission trip somebody might go on. They pay their own way. They typically provide for at least a portion of their own food. They are expected to work. Where this particular operation gets a little shady for me is the stated purpose of their journeys. Seems like they are mostly just traveling around. It's not clear that they're really doing any good at all but I suppose that argument can be made about lots of missions.

So is the whole "Expedition" bit in this instance a sham and all it's really about is getting cheap labor to sail and maintain a large vessel? Maybe. But in the general case I don't have any problem with this kind of arrangement. Like I've said before, if handled well I think it can easily turn out to be beneficial for everyone involved.
Slayer likes this.
Old 10-19-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

I know.....it is ridiculous. But even worse...have you heard of those individuals who take advantage of people by making them pay to be yelled at and cajoled into doing push-ups and sit-ups and riding that extra mile on a bike. I think it's outrageous and someone should put a stop to it!
Old 10-19-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

My boat is small and has few amenities so charging crew would be absurd. I do want crew to pay their own airfare and chip in for food but anything regarding handling, fixing or berthing the boat is covered by me. Crew members paying to work? What a strange idea.
However, I did attend a talk by a guy who went on one of these long distance trips on a big boat where he was a crew member. It sounded great but at the end he was soliciting money to do it again and this was puzzling until I found he actually had to PAY TO BE CREW! At first I thought it was an elaborate joke but soon realized he was serious. He actually wanted donations so he could pay someone to be working crew on a boat. I dont know who sounded stupider, him or the people who donated money to him.
Old 10-20-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Stating a charge for passage weeds out the (at the risk of being reported for the cardinal sin of "name-calling") wimps, whiners and wannabes. Those who balk at the fee either aren't serious or expect to be treated like passengers, not crew. Those who say "yeah, that's fair, it almost covers my rum intake" are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Stating a charge for passage weeds out the (at the risk of being reported for the cardinal sin of "name-calling") wimps, whiners and wannabes. Those who balk at the fee either aren't serious or expect to be treated like passengers, not crew. Those who say "yeah, that's fair, it almost covers my rum intake" are welcome.
when you get right down to it no one should object to paying part of the expense of their fun and games. Everything costs money without witch there are no fun in games or food on the table. My neighbor takes me to the store dosent charge me but I reciprocate to him so in away we each are sharing the cost. I think what people are really complaining about here are so called freeloaders that never want to pay for anything and are always looking for ways to get others to pay for their fun. Those jerks should be anchored
Don't laugh, why not. By filling in for an anchor they will in away be paying there way right?
Old 10-20-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

I normally sail alone but have taken on crew for both an Atlantic transit and traveling around the Caribbean. My particular rule is crew contributes to food, pays for their own customs fees (rare), alcohol, smokes and entertainment. This usually ends up being about $10 to $20 per day (some people like steak, some mac and cheese!) I think this is fair. The crew do not add to my financial burden and they get the enjoyment of the experience. I am not talking about taking friends or acquaintances out for a day sail or a weekend, but rather crew that stays on the boat for several months. These are people who almost exclusively have asked to go sailing for their personal enjoyment. I feel no obligation to pay their costs.

A touchy issue is when crew break things. Cruising boats have things break and I pay the bill. But I have had people drop winch handles overboard, throw dishes into the sea when emptying grey water, and drop expensive electronic remotes overboard. The polite ones pay, the others seem to think I am made of money.

A second issue is what belongs to me and what belongs to the boat. I have had guests assume they can use my computer, my camera, etc. because they are on the boat. I don't agree.

A third issue is cleanliness. I try to keep the boat very clean. Traveling in the tropics it is difficult to keep bugs off the boat. I have had to ask people to leave who do not understand the necessity of keeping the food and kitchen area immaculate.

I have added links to two documents that I use to "interview" potential crew and explain their duties. You are welcome to comment on them and/or use them for your own purposes.

Potential Crew Questionare: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dn...it?usp=sharing

Standing Orders: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dn...it?usp=sharing

A final note: There are many people in the sailing community (like any other community) that are trying to make money on their "dream." There are people willing to contribute to sail on a tall ship etc. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people running a commercial venture who try and pretend it is something else.

Roger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:

Last edited by svzephyr44; 10-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to svzephyr44 For This Useful Post:
bfloyd4445 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
I have added links to two documents that I use to "interview" potential crew and explain their duties. You are welcome to comment on them and/or use them for your own purposes.

Potential Crew Questionare: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dn...it?usp=sharing

Standing Orders: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Dn...it?usp=sharing

Roger
Those are some really detailed documents you have there. Are they copyrighted? I sure would like to "steal" a couple of ideas from them.
piclarke likes this.
Old 10-20-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Tony -
No, they are not copyrighted. Attribution would be nice. Any thoughts from your experiences would be appreciated also. They were written as a result of some bad experiences and my naive belief that most people didn't need such things written down.

Enjoy them, I hope they work for you.
piclarke likes this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.