Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is the average amount you ask for crew to contribute per day.
us $10 0 0%
us $15 1 0.93%
us $20 1 0.93%
us $30 0 0%
us $35 20 18.52%
us $40 53 49.07%
none - free on board. 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree52Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
So its only acceptable to look at the chart plotter in the cabin only. Then I suppose if you have not heard the alarm and you are on station 24/7 he must alert you, which is in the standing orders and I assume he is not allowed to return to the cockpit for at least 30 minutes as you do not like personnel / crew to be there because as you say they would have impaired vision from looking at the chart plotter. Your DOC ref. You then would take all the necessary action required that set the alarm going in the first place. Obviously in a major shipping lane only and possibly not when in the wide open high seas cruising in calm waters and 14 knots or so wind.
Your point is?

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
But it is incorrect to assert that any payment to the operation of a vessel makes it "commercial venture."
Which, of course, is why no one has asserted anything like that.
Old 01-15-2014

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Which, of course, is why no one has asserted anything like that.
At what point / amount do you accept a payment to the operation of a vessel makes it "commercial venture." or a commercial operation from the law point of view [ need a commercial licence ] or insurance companies interpretations.

Old 01-15-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Not counting boat payments it costs me an average of $133/day used to maintain and use my boat. I don't ask guests to "pay" but I expect them to provide some supplies and pay their way.

But the "problem" posed by the thread is easier; if you don't think what you are being asked to provide to "crew" etc. don't go!
Old 01-15-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Why the hell someone will need paid crew on a small yacht? and if needed that will be paid at value market unless someone would chose instead of professionals with a known competence amateurs of unknown ability and that seems plain dangerous to me. What one would pay will depend on prices at a given location.

regarding the title: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour, are you a professional? I don't understand what the title wants to mean. Doing a favor to whom and why?

Last edited by PCP; 01-15-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Been on both sides of this discussion. Have only used crew on passages in recent times.
End of this month asked to crew a sistership from BVI to Bahamas. Owner and wife and me my wife. Assume
1. Get there go provision. Given they are supplying the boat we will buy all food/drink. We will go together so what's bought is to everyone's liking.
2. He will buy diesel and pay fees associated with in/out various countries.
3.If we spend time in marinas those fees are split.
4If we visit restaurants those bills are split
5. Transport to/from boat are each persons responsibility.
Above has not been discussed -it's assumed. In short owner of boat is responsible for expenses boat directly generates. Those expenses would exist regardless of who is on the boat. Each person is responsible for expenses they directly generate. Those expenses exist because that person is on the boat. Given running a boat is expensive and the crew hopefully is doing this because they either think it's fun or they want the experience paying for incidental expenses such as food/drink for all seems only reasonable. I've crewed and owned boats for decades I've always assumed this is the way it would be. Then again I've only dealt with people I've known not crew gotten through a service. In that case when interviewing I would be explicit that above is expected. When stuff breaks unless it's due to gross negligence those are boat/owner expenses.
Old 01-15-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

how much, original poster, would you charge someone to come into your HOME to help you sail it to another location in paradise. i am certain you would not foot the entire bill for someone eating your food, sleeping in your bed and driving your home, as it were, from point a to point b. and considering that the individual who is a stranger in the home may not know what he said he knows, the owner must remain awake and alert for x days as the new individual learns how to do the work. if the individual actually tries to do the work ....and if the person goes sideways on ye, owner has to make sure all on board are safe and sound when arriving at location marked as a destination.
so, please tell me again, mr original poster, how these damn cruisers are trying to take advantage of you or do you a favor..lol.....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 01-15-2014
El Chupa Nibre

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road

I pay my crew in canned meat.
Old 01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
how much, original poster, would you charge someone to come into your HOME to help you sail it to another location in paradise. i am certain you would not foot the entire bill for someone eating your food, sleeping in your bed and driving your home, as it were, from point a to point b. and considering that the individual who is a stranger in the home may not know what he said he knows, the owner must remain awake and alert for x days as the new individual learns how to do the work. if the individual actually tries to do the work ....and if the person goes sideways on ye, owner has to make sure all on board are safe and sound when arriving at location marked as a destination.
so, please tell me again, mr original poster, how these damn cruisers are trying to take advantage of you or do you a favor..lol.....

Forum List Page

Mr. Bubs likes this.

Old 01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubs View Post
I pay my crew in canned meat.
Would you complain if your wife served you with canned meat, instant noodles, canned baked beans. Instant cup of soup as a starter for your evening meal after a full days work. Then she asked you to clean the bathroom. Please tell me.

Forum List Page

Mr. Bubs likes this.

Closed Thread