Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What is the average amount you ask for crew to contribute per day.
us $10 0 0%
us $15 1 0.93%
us $20 1 0.93%
us $30 0 0%
us $35 20 18.52%
us $40 53 49.07%
none - free on board. 33 30.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree52Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Why the hell someone will need paid crew on a small yacht? and if needed that will be paid at value market unless someone would chose instead of professionals with a known competence amateurs of unknown ability and that seems plain dangerous to me. What one would pay will depend on prices at a given location.

regarding the title: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour, are you a professional? I don't understand what the title wants to mean. Doing a favor to whom and why?

Please read again.

Forum List Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2014

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Been on both sides of this discussion. Have only used crew on passages in recent times.

5. Transport to/from boat are each persons responsibility.

Above has not been discussed

-it's assumed.

Not So

You are in breach of international treaties and conventions most countries are signed up to. And The International Law Of The Sea regarding crew.

You can not take a crew person away from their home sovereign territory and dumped them in another foreign sovereign land destitute.

[without something that is needed or wanted ]

Please read

Forum List Page

Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Hi P- I guess we live in different worlds. I crew for friends and have friends for crew. We are all solvent. We are good friends so we don't abuse each other or take advantage of each other. We figure out transport to and from the boat before any of us leave. As I said I have no experience with crew lists or services providing crew so to date none of the issues reviewed in the link you provided apply. I like to eat well. Given we provision together we all eat well. My friends are either working or if in retirement have family responsibilities so they have a limited window for which they are available. Issues of transport back and forth are paramount in their minds. The idea of leaving a friend destitute on a foreign shore is totally abhorrent to me. Would not leave you destitute on a foreign shore either but not knowing you would probably ask for evidence that that would not occur before letting you on my boat. Think it unreasonable to expect a captain to give crew a fully paid vacation unless it is established before the trip that such a professional relationship is what's what asked for. Also think if you abuse crew/friends you won't have crew/friends for long.
Old 01-16-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I treat crew on Auspicious the same way I treat crew on my deliveries - crew get too and from the boat on their own and all expenses aboard are covered. ALL. Meals and activities ashore are generally individual but for good crew I'll pick up some of that also.

Just for reference I usually provision for about $15US/person/day and we all eat quite well.

On delivery I have some outstanding crew that are always there when I ask them. I'll always describe their exploits with me to owners and try to get transportation for them covered.

I've had crew that found sailing with me rewarding enough to take me to dinner, which is appreciated but not expected. After a trip like that I spend some time thinking about what I did so I can do it more often. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 01-16-2014
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road

This thread certainly has proven to have legs. One thing I have looked for through all the posts (and quite possibly missed) is drawing a clear distinction between two classes of “crew.”

First, there are the friends who go out for a day, two days, or even a week to enjoy sailing and the camaraderie of sailing. We can include lone sailors who look for previously unknown crew/companions in this category. They may have people on board for longer periods. In any of these instances, if I were the “crew,” I would never even think about not contributing to the operation of the boat. Chipping in a reasonable amount for food, occasional dock fees, and even fuel for the boat is just being a good guest. After all, this is a vacation, holiday, relaxing day off, or whatever you want to call it. Why should you not cover mutual boat expenses?

The second class of crew is just that. There is a boat to be delivered. Get on the boat, make sure it is seaworthy, cast off, reach the destination, and no sooner have the dock lines been secured when the captain or boat owner hands you your bags, shakes your hand and figuratively or literally kicks you off the boat. No way am I going to pay my way to and from that boat or pay any expenses. Food is expected and I don’t mind rice and beans since I’m not a big eater (single life will do that to you), but come on, better food than that should be available.

When I did deliveries years ago, it was poles apart from today’s environment. There was no Internet. You had to go through brokers to find crew and you had to pay them and transport them to the boat and back home. Things are different today with the prevalence of the Internet. Boat owners who need their boats delivered have a good deal with all the people online willing to do it for nothing or even pay to do it. Whether it is right, wrong or even legal, it is not going change as long as those willing free crew continue to step up.

Last edited by CaptTony; 01-16-2014 at 01:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptTony For This Useful Post:
piclarke (01-23-2014)
Old 01-16-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I treat crew on Auspicious the same way I treat crew on my deliveries - crew get too and from the boat on their own and all expenses aboard are covered. ALL. Meals and activities ashore are generally individual but for good crew I'll pick up some of that also.

Just for reference I usually provision for about $15US/person/day and we all eat quite well.

On delivery I have some outstanding crew that are always there when I ask them. I'll always describe their exploits with me to owners and try to get transportation for them covered.

I've had crew that found sailing with me rewarding enough to take me to dinner, which is appreciated but not expected. After a trip like that I spend some time thinking about what I did so I can do it more often. *grin*
And I bet you have no trouble finding crew either! (Give me a PM if you need someone)
Old 01-16-2014
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that "crew" get paid, they don't pay. If they are paying they are customers!
Old 01-17-2014

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
Would you complain if your wife served you with canned meat, instant noodles, canned baked beans. Instant cup of soup as a starter for your evening meal after a full days work. Then she asked you to clean the bathroom. Please tell me.
Wouldn't bother me in the least
miatapaul likes this.
Old 01-17-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
And I bet you have no trouble finding crew either! (Give me a PM if you need someone)
*grin* I have about 400 people on my crew list now. At least half are just in it for the wishful thinking. Most of the rest have sailed with me at least once. Everyone has submitted a resume and we've had an interview. I don't think anyone is unhappy since it doesn't cost them to be on the list and it doesn't cost me anything to include them.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Closed Thread