SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   The Ocean is broken? really? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/104890-ocean-broken-really.html)

hertfordnc 10-20-2013 01:34 PM

The Ocean is broken? really?

I sold my boat a couple years ago and stopped hanging out here but my login still works so I am back with questions about this article (link pasted below)

Are ocean crossers really seeing a profound collapse in fish from just a few years ago? Do you really fire up the engine and just motor when the wind drops off?

I know there are serious problems with oceans worldwide. But this article had a funny smell to it and it got me curious.

The ocean is broken | Newcastle Herald

Thanks for indulging me

Dave Silva

Former owner of S/V Puffin, 1976 Camper Nicholson 31

azguy 10-20-2013 02:21 PM

Re: The Ocean is broken? really?

Who knows how much nuke waste leaked from those reactors. I'm sure whatever they said it was just multiple by 100,000

hertfordnc 10-20-2013 02:40 PM

I don't doubt the affects of Fukishima and all the other bad things we do. But i thought the article had a touch of reactionary BS in it and i am checking that here for my own curiousity.

killarney_sailor 10-20-2013 02:55 PM

That was not our experience in crossing the Pacific and Indian Oceans in the Southern Hemisphere. We saw a lot of life and crossing the Indian we caught fish (always Mahi Mahi) whenever we wanted them - and this is not to suggest that overfishing is not a problem. The only places we have seen concentrations of garbage were 50 miles or so off the shores of Panama and Colombia in the Caribbean. There seemed to a line about 200 m wide where sea weed and plastic collect, and on the island of Suwarrow in the Cook Islands where there were hundreds of flip flops. Don't know if these were from a broken container. They appeared very different in terms of the amount of weathering.

Siamese 10-20-2013 03:14 PM

The oceans may or may not be "broken". Certainly, they've been impacted. But the article is not a scientific treatise by any means. There's plenty of actual data available that you and I, and the author of the article could access.

SJ34 10-20-2013 04:39 PM

The environmental doomsday rhetoric has always been way over the top. I've lost track of how many doomsday deadlines have passed with absolutely no notice. What really annoys me is how there is zero accountability for all the folks that make these false proclamations.

seafrontiersman 10-20-2013 04:53 PM

I work the sea 200+ days a year and I can tell you that there are lots and lots of fish and sea birds out there. This article sound like typical tree hugging propaganda.

jppp 10-20-2013 05:42 PM

Right. All that plastic belongs there. Those millions of gallons of crude from DWH had no effect. The Fukashima leak (continues) to have no effect. Everything is fine!!

jppp 10-20-2013 05:53 PM

Promised my kids Bahamian Blue water while visiting the beach at Boca Grande FL this past summer. What we got was 95 degree pesticide flavored polluted outflow from Lake Okeechobee. As far as the eyes could see up and down the coast. I almost cried. Packed up and left.

tdw 10-20-2013 06:26 PM

I've met Ivan. We happened to be sharing the same marina just before he set off from Newcastle NSW to Melbourne Vic for the start of the Melb - Oaska race. The man's bullshite output is remarkably low and if he is worried about what he saw out there then I for one am happy to believe him. He is first and foremost a racing sailor. While I'm sure he'd be happy to be called a greenie he is not an activist by any stretch of the imagination.

As noted in the article Ivan is at pains to acnowledge that a lot of what they were seeing was a result of the Japanese Tsumani, it was not simply about ongoing pollution or as noted by a presumably climate change denier , tree hugger propaganda. Nonetheless denying that the oceans are suffering is head in the sand absduridity of the lowest order.

(Mod hat on for the moment .... sad though it may be, if this thread spends too much time in "tree hugging propaganda" mode it will end up in PRWG.)