Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Shore power and lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
LED 12volt.

I'm considering adding one 12v fluorescent fixture over the galley as I like lots of light when I'm cooking.
Look into the Alpenglow fixtures... they are a low-draw fluorescent usually with two brightness settings.. we have a couple and quite like them.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Do the "warm white LEDs give off more light, same, less?
Terms like "warm white" are pretty meaningless - I've seen them applied to a huge variety of colour temperatures.

However, if the LED manufacturer quotes actual specs, they are usually correct.

An incandescent is about 2700K and those 21W bulbs are about 200 lumens. I replaced my incandescents with LEDs of 3000K, and 200 lumens, and they look very similar. Go much over 3000K though, and they start to look cold and blue.
Old 10-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Terms like "warm white" are pretty meaningless - I've seen them applied to a huge variety of colour temperatures. However, if the LED manufacturer quotes actual specs, they are usually correct.
An incandescent is about 2700K and those 21W bulbs are about 200 lumens. I replaced my incandescents with LEDs of 3000K, and 200 lumens, and they look very similar. Go much over 3000K though, and they start to look cold and blue.
While 2700K is what was once though of as Warm White, reality is that almost all halogen, fluorescent and LED lamps call 3000K Warm White. How this effects you is a matter of personal taste.

3000K does give out more light than 2700K per watt but we also tend to see whiter light as brighter than yellower light.

Me I prefer 2700 for mood lighting and 3000 for work and/or reading. YMMV.

Oh yes and btw , if you dim halogen or incandescent lamps the colour temp goes down as you dim. This is not the case with LED or fluorescent.

On board we use a mixture of LED and halogen for reading but gradually changing over to all LED though these days most of my on board reading is being done off a tablet with backlit screen. Even when plugged into shore power (very rare for us) we still only use 12v lighting, indeed we don't have any mains voltage lights to use even if we wanted to. Candles and Oil Lamp are popular in the cooler months.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-22-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

I was using Xeon bulbs that I liked a lot and switched to some type of highly reviewed 'warm' led.

The led's don't illuminate as large an area. They do seem brighter if you look directly at them due to the fact the area of an led that emits the light is much smaller than the 12v Xeon bulb. This brightness also is uncomfortable to directly look at and I ended up training myself never to look directly at the light. Remember you have a low and small ceiling area so it's easy to accidentally look directly at them.

The light isn't nearly as relaxing or 'warm' as the Xeons.

You do get used to them and they do use a lot less power and that is my primary concern as I run off of batteries and use solar as the primary charger.

I did keep one small bulkhead mounted kerosene lamp for those nights I just want to kick back and relax. :-)
Old 10-23-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you are using almost all your battery power for four 12v lights you have a smaller 12v battery than I have ever seen or something else is way out of whack.
No-No... nothing wrong with batteries, no drain. Just wondering about using 12V battery power for lights while the batteries are being charged from shore power, versus just using 120V lights off shore power. Thanks.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 10-23-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
It's just a reference to the light frequency (color). LED's and flourescent bulbs were known for giving off harsh, blue lighting that many people find objectionable.

As others have stated, getting LEDs that emit light around 2700k is a color comparable to the color of incandescent bulbs. Lumens is the rating for the QUANTITY of light being given off by a bulb.

The LEDs I bought at the boat show are rated to give off 270 lumens which is slightly better than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, for a fraction of the energy cost. My cabin is noticably brighter with the LEDs and now I can afford to burn them all at once, really lighting up the boat!

In fact, I'm installing an additional, overhead fixture with the RED/WHITE/OFF settings. The red lighting will be nice for night races and sailing. It's installed over my chart table.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-23-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I use 12v LED (strips. mounted in OEM fixtures) most of the time. I have a few multi-head, battery fed (soon to be converted to 12v) track lites I recently installed and ONE 120vAC "Tensor" lite that I use for specific tasks; like close work, reading and occasional use over the stove when I need non-color shifted views. THe 12v, LEd worklites see quite a bit of use, too; either on the wall-warts or on the battery. I sometimes bring one or more of the "deck/patio' LEDs below for "mood" lighting.

I have a pair of Alladin kero mantle lites that I'd love to use; but they are too damm'd big !

Last edited by deltaten; 10-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dave_e, some of us only have 12-volt lighting on board. Carrying 120VAC lighting as well takes up more space, needs more wiring and breakers, violates the "KISS" rule. So unless you're planning to spend lots of time on shore power, it makes no sense to have it installed.

By all means if you've got AC lighting, use it.

Figure 4? 6? lights at 10-20 watts each if you're DC and not LED, that could be a fast 100W load on the batteries for three hours, 300WA, 24AH of power. Might just be a trickle for your battery bank but if you can keep that load on the charger instead of the batteries, that's still 24AH more power they'll have the next morning. Or, it could mean three or four times that much if someone goes to sleep and forgets to turn out the lights. Or tv or whatever.

OTOH if I was being charged extra for a shorepower hookup, I'd probably just say no thanks, don't need it for that.

Whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-31-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

We don't have any AC lights aboard Redline (ok, except for one CFL "trouble light" in my toolbox, typically only used during on-the-hard-projects), so it's exclusively 12V lighting. Most fixtures have been converted to LED, with some additional LED reading lights added.

We have a couple of "under-cabinet" halogen fixtures for which I haven't yet found appropriate LED replacements, but I hope to soon. Oh, and the forward steaming light on the mast is still halogen, mainly since it's only used when... motoring anyway.
Old 11-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I use AC light for working only - and seldom then.