Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
nicaraugua....

cruising couple detained in nicaraugua......
hoping for their safety ..

Family worries about local sailing couple held in Nicaragua | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: nicaraugua....

AS cruisers we feel for them and hope that all can be resolved.

There was a report two years ago of the Nicaraguan Coast Guard robbing a boat...We have sailed past twice and given them a 50-100 mile margin.

When the supposedly 'good guys' are corrupt you need to stay away.
Old 11-13-2013

nicaraugua of late has been a stopping point for coastal cruisers headed to panama. this is a big setback for those who have short legged boats. hopefully this will be resolved in a positive manner and our friends will be free to continue onward....hopefully.....

i know i will be avoiding the place like plague on my way farther south. after refit, i hope to be able to jump across to panama from mazatlan or barra de navidad,in future. until then i will refit here where we are still safe-- in mexico.

Old 11-13-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Was just there with 8 friends on a surf trip, a year and a half ago. Surfers are a very communicative community that spend a ton of money on travel.

I'll be nixing Nicaragua as a destination, especially since I've started bringing some of my kids. (I already stop any talk of Mexico, but maybe Mexico has gotten better.)

There are plenty of other places to go. This hurts their own people 1,000,000 times more than any benefit the 'kidnappers" are getting.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-13-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

What a useless article. No mention of why they are stuck there or even if they really are.

Cruisers who go to peanut third world countries need to understand that these countries are not safe in any form from the authorities.

Moronic mates of mine have been sailing through some out islands of Venezualea in the last few months ILLEGALLY. Like, who the F is that STUPID????

Mark

Old 11-13-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

My wife and I think that Mark is being reserved in his comments! It is more dramatic when she says it in Spanish!

Check http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Nicaragua

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2012-06-12-2

Apparently Nicaragua has unilaterally rewritten the International Law! Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we need him?

"Nicaragua's decision to extend its territorial waters from the normal 12 miles to 25 miles has resulted in the seizure of some foreign flagged vessels, mainly fishing boats. In their fight against illegal fishing, the Nicaraguan authorities have confiscated boats and arrested their crews, as a result of which the USA have warned all US vessels to avoid Nicaraguan waters, both on the Pacific and Caribbean side. Cruising yachts do not appear to have been affected, but those which intend to stop in Nicaragua should proceed directly to an official port of entry."

Last edited by Yorksailor; 11-13-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2013

the involved parties have law enforcement and teaching as their past careers and do not slide into places without papers. their cell fones and communication devices were removed from them and i dont know other info.,. just what his daughter said in her postings. there has not been anything from them online since 24 oct. they posted daily for kids and grandkids.
knowing these folks, i would say, YES THEY ARE detained. these are not drama queens nor sensationalists. last words heard by the daughter were that those detaining them were not treating them well and they dont have any way to call home, then fone taken away from him.

Old 11-13-2013

ok we got news and it is good....seems leiann and dave were at sea when daughter posted, so .. their message is this :
"∑Leiann N Dave Scee
I don't even know how to start but I guess I can start with sorry to worry everyone back home. Somehow the situation got a little misunderstood. First we want everyone to know that we are okay and have been at sea the last two days so have not been able to make contact since leaving Corinto, Nicargau. We did have some issues with the Nicaragua military officials in that port. We found out after the fact that this is not a port that sailboats typically visit. It is a commercial port and the local authorities are not equipped to process visiting yachts in regards to Visa, Immigration and check in procedures. We are not sure when we were going to be able to leave as we had exhausted all the cash we had and needed to come up with more funds as the officials to not take visa. It's a long story and too long to tell it here but be assured we will not be visiting Corinto ever again. We are now in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua and everything is ok. This is a tourist town and cruising yachts come on a regular basis and we have not has any problems here. The officials here in fact transported us to a phone so we could call the US Embassy so we could assure them that we were fine. Again we are sorry for this scare and we love and thank all of you for being there. Please repost this so others may see. Love to all!"

Old 11-13-2013

TTC is on a distinguished road

Good to hear!
Old 11-13-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Whew! Glad to hear it.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!