Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Carrying your mast "on" deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Ive heard more than one comment at being surprised at the amount of fore and aft movement. Secure well in all directions
This is absolutely critical, specially if you plan to cross some lakes with power boaters....
Use the chainplates or toerail as attachments and get those ratchet straps that truckers use to ensure the rig stay put no matter what.
Another hint is to remove whatever is on the mast head, so you'll need to be creative on how to do that if you are unstepping yourself and the mast is hanging 6 feet over the bow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTatia For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've seen 2x4s bolted in an x pattern, with a smaller V at the top than the bottom. A cross piece is also bolted. Easy to assemble and disassemble. Also easy to dispose of the wood, when you're done. The big downside is the weight.

Personally, I had my mast shipped to the other end of the canal. Totally worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Down--

I wish I could help with that but cannot. The number was mentioned by a friend of ours several years ago who has since passed away. I just recall that he mentioned that some of their travels were thwarted by '...10 foot bridges...' they couldn't get under. His widow lives out on Ana Maria Island and I shall call her later today to see if she might recall and, if so, I'll follow up. According to Vasco's information however (above), the where may not matter to you eh?

FWIW...
As a follow up on the foregoing, I did finally speak with our friend yesterday evening and she indicated she couldn't recall where they were, '...New York or Ohio...' but that they got to a bridge '...somewhere or other...' while they were '...doing an exploration...' where they had to back up and turn the boat around because the bridge was too low for the boat. I'm sorry this doesn't add anything to your knowledge base other than, perhaps, be mindful of "side trips".

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (11-18-2013)
Old 01-02-2014

bwehmer is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska,

If you don't mind sharing...who did you use to ship your mast and what was the cost?

I will be making the trip south in August for the first time.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can't recall the carriers name, it was a referral from the seller's broker in Michigan. I don't think transporting the mast is as complicated as the entire boat, so I wouldn't be as worried about the vendor. Although, I would want good references. I recall the guy I used was a real character, in a good way. Very concerned that he got it right and would talk your head off on the phone. Lonely on the road, I suppose.

The $1,700 tab is clear in my memory, however. That included loading at Buffalo and unloading in Albany. With my mast being 70+ ft, there were over $300 in special permits and tolls included in that price that may not apply to all.

It may seem like a lot, but absolutely worth it in my opinion. First, you would spend hundreds in supplies and labor, just to build the deck support and get a crane operator to help you lay her down and pick her back off again at each end. Then, maneuvering the locks, with the mast on deck (hanging off each end of the boat) for two weeks, would have been a nightmare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.