Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Warning about cruising the ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
So you are saying a prudent navigator should actually use the aids to navigation and not rely on a graphic animation to choose their course!?
As my flight instructor used to say "Get your head out of the cockpit"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013
Banned

svmeanderer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
First of all, there is a great source of info at Salty Southeast Cruisers.
Who can possibly find what's important on that mess of a website? I search in SC and then have to wade through a bunch of individual postings to hopefully find something that matters to me. I've given up.

And what happens when you're in the Chesapeake Bay?
Old 11-30-2013

kellymj is on a distinguished road

We just finished most of the ICW, from Norfolk to Stuart, FL. I would strongly agree that you cannot rely on the magenta line!

We relied heavily on Active Captain and found it extremely helpful through areas of low water and confusing markers. We had it running on an iPad with Garmin Bluechart mobile app at the helm along with chart plotter, charts and cruising guides.

Waiting for a deeper draft vessel to lead the way also works wonders.

Marty
Old 11-30-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I once followed a 65 footer in my 37' trawler which drew 4'
big mistake .... he drew 3' !

Gotta love cheap TowboatUS
Old 11-30-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

I've done the ICW a few times on deliveries. I've never even assumed that the magenta line was ever even close to authoritative. I'm actually surprised that it was ever a NOAA feature.

The only thing I've ever used it for was at the entrance of a large bay, when you are using a chart book, the magenta line would indicate the course to the next creek or canal on the other side of the bay. Otherwise we always just ignored it.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 12-01-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

There are other areas in addition to large harbours where the magenta line is very handy to have such as the section from Fernandina, Fl south for about 20 miles. In these sections there are numerous off shoots and creeks as the channel meanders through the marsh lands.

If the magenta line didn't exist a prudent captain would make his own.

Most people do not subscribe to Notice to Mariners and update their charts accordingly. As a result buoys are changed and don't always agree with the chart either. The markers and buoys are the ultimate authority.
Old 01-05-2014

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is like that not only on the ICW but everywhere, not only because buoys and channels are actualized more frequently but because not always the chart coincides with the GPS. GPS is very accurate, maps, that many times are yet based on old charts are not always correct regarding GPS position.

Those that have already navigated with their boats over land (at least on the plotter chart) will understand perfectly what I am talking about
Please
What does ICW stand for.

C Maps if not pirated are very accurate so stating every where is inaccurate and if not updated in non coastal areas by C maps then you don't know how to realine using the top leading markers in harbours when you line them with your electronic charts / chart plotters. Also C maps when they licence their maps / to the competion they don't licence their full chart infomation. You will always find C maps have more information than the oppositions electronic licenced charts.

If you are using a main harbour chart or navigating a commercial shipping lane and your charts have you sailing on land then you are using a pirated version in most cases based on the free russian c map series in all probability or a copy has been given to you from a mate.

Or You have discontinued updating them probably for costs reasons if they are legit.

Old 01-05-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

ICW stands for Intracoastal Waterway

as for the rest of your post. I disagree.
Attached Thumbnails
Warning about cruising the ICW-gps4a.jpg   Warning about cruising the ICW-gps-2.jpg   Warning about cruising the ICW-gps-.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

What?
Old 01-06-2014

bjung is on a distinguished road

As for the ICW magenta line, there are many cases where following the line will take you on the wrong side of a buoy, with the chart being correct, but the line obviously drawn wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is like that not only on the ICW but everywhere, not only because buoys and channels are actualized more frequently but because not always the chart coincides with the GPS. GPS is very accurate, maps, that many times are yet based on old charts are not always correct regarding GPS position.

Those that have already navigated with their boats over land (at least on the plotter chart) will understand perfectly what I am talking about
I will agree partly with the above. However there are instances where I am not sure about GPS accuracy.
Example: I currently keep my boat at a friends dock, accessed through a 40 ft wide channel. For easy nighttime entrance I dropped waypoints along the way. They are all on land, and over 50 ft from the channel. No problem, right, I assume the chart is simply wrong and just follow waypoints. Well, depending on the day, my waypoints are sometimes spot on, and sometimes they are up to 50 ft off from where I should be!
So, what is really wrong in this case: GPS? Obviously, the WPTs did not move, but does the chart overlay differ from time to time?

Last edited by bjung; 01-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.