Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004

kanzkan is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

What immunizations are suggested before cruising long term in tropical waters?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

K, it depends on which tropical waters. If you''re thinking Caribbean, then you will want to insure you have a current Tetnus (sp?) booster and Diptheria. There are reported incidents of Marlaria on the Mosquito Coast but most cruisers only skirt the area. The reports of polio outbreaks in Haiti and the DR are dated, and the DR did not have that problem as of 2002.

If you go farther afield, the choices and warnings expand significantly. Your first best stop for this info is www.cdc.gov - but I''d recommend you also visit the State Dept.''s site and read traveler warnings for the area(s) you''ll be visiting. Don''t forget to consider inland travel plans, too.

I heard an interesting comment this weekend by a couple that just completed their Circle. If deciding to use a Marlaria drug, wait and buy it in the local area where you think it''s needed. Apparently there are many different strains of the bug and they build up immunities to certain drug choices. The locals know what strain is present and which drug stands the best chance of helping.

Jack
Old 11-08-2004

Immunizations?

I omitted noting that Venezuela apparently now requires Yellow Fever immunization. This requirement is being presented to arriving yachtsmen, I''m being told, but I don''t know if one is refused entry if not having it when arriving at the airport. (I''ll bet not...).

As with other immunizations, don''t overlook whether you have allergies that contraindicate a particular shot. As we understand it, the process to use, should you want to be exempt from a particular immunization for medical reasons, is to visit the State Dept. website and seek out the medical exemption certificate that applies to the country in question. That form would be printed, signed by a physician, and then carried with you in lieu of your shot record being annotated with the immunization.

Jack
Old 11-09-2004

wallm is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

Going to eat some local fish or vegetables? Sure you are! Better get a Hepatitis A series. Of the various diseases you might get south of the border Hepatitis A (so called infectious hepatitis) would be one of the most common. A full series is 2 shots 6 months apart with the last one being a month prior to departure. For full info go to Google do a search on hepatitis A vaccine, and click on the CDC site.
Old 11-09-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

to prevent that problem soak local vegies in a mixture of bleach and water. It pretty much kills anything.

You can ''sterilize'' local water for washing dishes or any water by putting in one ounce of bleach per dishpan of water.

that will pretty much prevent the contraction of diseases.

please be careful with immunizations. some ppl are allergic and have no idea.
Old 11-09-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

www.cdc.gov i think is the center for disease control.
they will have the latest on what you might want.
or the dept of state website.

you can get immunizations at your local health department.. it is what you pay taxes for though they might tell you otherwise.
Old 11-10-2004

Immunizations?

Let''s all keep in mind that some of these immunizations have short lifespans of efficacy, and so loading up with all your shots before heading out, only to arrive in an area where e.g. malaria or yellow fever risk exists but long after the efficacy period has expired, isn''t too helpful.

Also, I''m not sure any of us have specifically mentioned the yellow Immunization Card that we should all be carrying - both to our clinic or doc when getting a shot (so it can be updated) and also with our passport when out there off the beaten path.

Jack
Old 11-10-2004

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

Actually, I would not worry about the protective period of immunizations. Most are ten years or so. Yellow Fever immunization is a single shot, very well tolerated and highly recommended. There is some evidence to suggest that a recent YF vax may convey some small amount of protection against similar viruses such as West Nile and others in the flavivirdae family.

Any travelers medicine clinic or medical practise where you live will have complete info and be able to provide you will the full range needed. As mentioned Hep A and B are likely indicated. It is possible now to get the typhoid vax in pill form (much easier to take than the shot). Of course the CDC site has the best and most recent info.

You probably also want to make sure your normal vaccinations for things such as tetenus are current as well.

And...not sure how many shots you can get in a single session. Some suggest only a couple at a time for best immunity and so that you don''t stress your immune system too much. So, make sure you plan this well in advance.

ALWAYS check with your physician to see what your specific medical needs are relative to this type of procedure.

Hope this helps
John
Old 11-10-2004

Immunizations?

In checking the Immunizations section of the CDC website, I found a number of immunization periods far shorter than 10 years. At a recent SSCA Seminar, one immunization now required in the southern part of the Caribbean is effective for only 6 months; I''m sorry I don''t recall which one that is. Other treatments (e.g. WRT malarial drugs) begin very shortly before arrival in an area, usually one week.

The overarching point is to do one''s own research, and the CDC is a good place to start. IME one''s family doctor is not going to be up to speed on immunization skeds around the world and may even delegate that to someone in his/her office. It''s nice to have your own feel for what''s being recommended, as it allows you to evaluate the physician''s (assistant''s) recommendations.

Jack
Old 11-10-2004

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Immunizations?

Hi Jack

Your points are well taken and very informative. It would be interesting to know what vax the SSCA seminar said was only good for 6 months. That would be quite unusual, in my experience. Honestly, and not knocking the SSCA, but I would caution anyone who needs this info to get it from their family doctor, the CDC, the local health dept or a travelers medical clinic and not the SSCA. IMHO.

Here is a link to the CDC page that might be helpful:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm

As it reads, there are only a handful of vax required for the caribbean: Hep A, HepB, Rabies (if you think you will be exposed), typhoid (pills) and YF. The shortest period of protection for any of the above is 5 yrs.

And as you rightly point out, there are other therapeutics to be considered such as anti-malarial prophylaxis.

I would expect that anyone from the US and Europe cruising with children would already have had them immunized for dpt and measels.

Always check with your personal doctor first. Not all vaccines are indicated for all people and personal medical issues much always be taken into account.

It can also be important to check info for specific countries.

My best to all

John