Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Yes, docking. I still break into a sweat when i come in and there is a 20 knot cross breeze. I'd rather sail in 15 footers all day then face the dock.
I still floor my neighbors when i come in hot; put all 50 horses in reverse and step off with two lines in hand. (little do they know i only have one shot to do it right!)
Any videos? The 20kt cross breeze, if setting you onto the dock is one thing, but if it's blowing you off, I'm not sure that I would get off the boat with two lines in hand. It seems like a good way for the boat to get away from you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPunter View Post
While I am cruising with my wife and baby, its mostly going to be me sailing the boat and I would like to optimize my setup as much as possible to make it easier for me to sail the boat without help. We do have an autopilot which is a godsend, but what else can we do to make our boat more single hand friendly?
Not what you can add but what you can do (if you don't already) is use the autopilot to auto-tack which leaves hands, eyes and brain free to deal with the physics of tacking. Normal setting is 100 degrees of tack which will give you plenty of time on both winches to tack the headsail.

In quiet weather I use it to gybe as well, gives me time to haul in the mainsheet and let it out again once the main has gybed. Crash gybes have no redeeming features.

I also use it to keep the boat head-to-wind when raising and lowering sails.

It's not there to just hold a course
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-26-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Think things through such as raising and lowering of sails before doing them. Remember not to rush, do it calmly. Give yourself plenty of sea room to do such things..this way if you drift a bit.... not a problem. Just do not PANIC

I have all my lines run to cockpit and like it. Others I have sailed with prefer to go to the mast.

I found that running a downhaul helped douse the headsail.

I also have a small stern or 100ft of rode rigged incase I run into trouble....easy to deploy within about 1 min.

just a few things that have helped and eased my mind when singlehanding

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-27-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

I haven't single handed that much so just trying to think it all through like you. The other posters' comments about docking are so true. Have a Plan A and a Plan B. For me, I'm getting really good at docking stern in....when the winds are not blowing 20 knots abeam. When they are, I dock bow in and I don't mind backing out and trying again multiple times. I also have to remind myself to breath.

Recently, I just marked all my halyards and reefing lines so I know, without lifting my head outside the dodger -- a waste of time -- when the lines are just right. Many of the things you need to do will also become obvious the more times you go out sailing short handed. Have fun! It is an awesome sense of satisfaction.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 11-27-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I am so new far be it for me to give advice. I am however in the same boat so to speak.
I was able to sweet talk my wife into going to a (Discovery) class with our club. I stayed away and on the dock. It was two nights of class and 8 hours on the water. The club gives social time both of us can enjoy. As she gets more interest she might be talked into the ASA101
What I am trying to say is you are single handing but you are putting more weight on yourself when you only have a passenger. Your wife could surprise you. She may not be able to dock the boat or do a quick stop for crew over board. She might be able to head up and just let the boat luff ? She might cast off or toss you a dock line. In time she may even become more active. Go slow and go for fun short sails even just a little dock time. You can single hand a long full sail on your own. Reel your loved ones in with the care of landing a prize fish. If you pull to hard the line will break.
I think the key to starting your adventure together is for her to spend sometime apart sailing Wile she is doing this you spend quality time on your boat. Alone or take a buddy at the dock with your child on board. You will gain insight into how you might improve child care on the boat.
Best wishes, For both of us lol , Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 11-27-2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-27-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

Agree with above post docking is a stressfull time ,if its blowing too hard to get into my berth I just abort and anchor out no shame in that I would rather do that than take chunks out of neighbouring boats.The wind usually eases here just on dark so I go in then.Lazyjacks make handling the main easy just drop halyard and retreive,And a good chartplotter under your dodger is great when coming home in the dark,trust your eyes first though enjoy your sailing.
Old 11-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
use the autopilot to auto-tack which leaves hands, eyes and brain free to deal with the physics of tacking. Normal setting is 100 degrees of tack which will give you plenty of time on both winches to tack the headsail.
I haven't had much luck with auto-tack. Generally the autopilot doesn't turn the boat fast enough, and certainly can't do what a human can loitering when the headsail just starts to backwind.

Single-handed, I hold the active sheet and start the turn. When the headsail luffs and begins to backwind straighten the rudder while releasing the old active sheet. Tighten the wheel lock or (mostly) hold the wheel with my hip while hauling in on the new active sheet. Don't bust a gut - as long as there is room to leeward haul in as much as you can as fast as you can and then fall off until the sail fills and boat speed returns. Now you can come up as you grind the sail in, using the autopilot to come up five or ten degrees at a time as you grind.

With practice and decent wind you can often get a working jib all the way in, even single-handed, by hand. Big overlapping genoas will take some grinding.

Admittedly I've about given up on auto-tack so perhaps there is something on the market better than I have tried. Several generations of Raymarine and Simrad autopilots haven't measured up.
Networker likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-27-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Like in chess, you need to not only know what you're going to do, but how that effects what you do after that, and have a plan B for when A doesn't go right. Singlehanding is more mental, than physical. No matter how good your setup, it's only as good as the person using it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-27-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I singlehand almost exclusively, currently on a 57 foot sloop. As has been mentioned before, the process of docking and undocking is the most fretful time and planning is key. I will spend a good 30 minutes outside of a marina preparing for docking. I will always set out as many fenders as I have available with one as a backup for unforeseen circumstances. All lines are prepared and flaked across the lifelines, with both forward and aft spring lines as well - even if I'm just going to a fuel dock. Then I plan and visualize the process (wind, current, people, moving boats, etc.). Luckily I don't have to do this often.
Sailing singlehanded is much easier than docking singlehanded, there aren't as many things close by that can go "thump". But even there one needs to plan ahead. Unlike SV/Auspicious I use the auto-tack for tacking and the usual boat speeds and winds in the Caribbean are strong enough to let the slow-tack of the autopilot succeed.

Old 11-27-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

I remember one that someone told me recently, so don't have any experience with this, but don't ever get so over-powered that your auto pilot can't handle it and you aren't able to leave the wheel. Be prepared to change headsails and reef early to keep everything balanced.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38