Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Single-handers?

There's a good argument for leaving the main halyard and reeflines at the mast, esp if you have a form of self steering. If you're by yourself having all that handy in a single location is clean and works well.

Yes, you can run ALL the lines back, but that's a fair cost if not done already and generally higher friction, you may be 'under the dodger' and not able to clearly see what's happening aloft (eg grinding on a reef line not noticing it's wrapped itself the wrong way around the boom...)... sometimes keeping it simple pays off.

Autotack works for me most times, you can adjust the gain on the AP that might help some, but generally there's not much wrong with a slow tack as long as you have enough way on.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There's a good argument for leaving the main halyard and reeflines at the mast, esp if you have a form of self steering. If you're by yourself having all that handy in a single location is clean and works well.
Yep and the big piles of line in the cockpit don't work for me either. As big as our cockpit is there isn't space for rope bags and the like - 15 metres of mast means 15 metres of main halyard on the floor. Also the rope clutches and other paraphernalia normally associated with lines coming aft take up a lot of normally-useful horizontal surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Autotack works for me most times, you can adjust the gain on the AP that might help some, but generally there's not much wrong with a slow tack as long as you have enough way on.
I agree - the rate at which the boat tacks is generally a product of boat speed so if the boat is going real slow then auto-tack can be a little painful but then there is also little urgency to get the tack done. I find if we're doing anything over 4 knots the auto-tack goes fast enough and I can almost always set the sail fully without taking out a winch handle. Grinding sails in is not on my "desirable activities" list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Unlike SV/Auspicious I use the auto-tack for tacking and the usual boat speeds and winds in the Caribbean are strong enough to let the slow-tack of the autopilot succeed.
Could you share the model of your a/p computer and the various settings in the configuration? If it works for you I'll reset my pilot. I also have three or four boats I'm moving in the next couple of weeks and can do some experimenting.

Thanks.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

If the OP is going to take his wife and child It may be a good idea for them to become as active and involved as practical. If not they could both lose interest. The result could be single and solo all the time.
It is great to set up for single. The truth may be some sailors may find the crew hinders them and the boat. This is when silence is golden. A kind word in trimming or better yet give up some tiller time. Your wake may look like a snake trail but if you want to get there fast you would not be in a sailboat.
Later you can bring the boat back out and work on your set up. You can single beforehand and stop back at the dock or even the next port. One leg single the next leg with wife and child.
Good day, Lou
Old 11-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Interesting how different people approach this differently. I find the auto tack a pain.find with power winches often turn ap on standby spin the wheel by hand .pull the lines. Trim with power. Turn ap back on.fine tune things. Often use wheel brake before turning ap back on. Fine if I use auto tack end grinding more. My primaries can be run with me behind wheel .also if there's not to much traveler motion sometimes set up new traveler position before tack. Haven't figured out how to gybe solo so always chicken gybe.
Old 11-28-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Could you share the model of your a/p computer and the various settings in the configuration?
I have a Raymarine Smartpilot and I don't think I've changed the angle settings from the default 100 degrees. The previous boat had a Raymarine autopilot as well and I used auto-tack there as well.

I haven't had problems with the rate of tack and getting caught in irons, although sometimes I think that the boat tacks too far and I need to adjust the heading after the maneuver.

My boat can generate a lot of force in the 15-20 knot trades and using the autopilot to tack lets me concentrate on the genoa line handling and then I can fine-tune the course after I've dealt with winching the lines. I don't have a traveller now for the main, but when I had one I would set up the correct line length on the downwind side of the mainsail traveller before tacking.

Old 11-28-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interesting how different people approach this differently. I find the auto tack a pain.find with power winches often turn ap on standby spin the wheel by hand .pull the lines. Trim with power. Turn ap back on.fine tune things. Often use wheel brake before turning ap back on. Fine if I use auto tack end grinding more. My primaries can be run with me behind wheel .also if there's not to much traveler motion sometimes set up new traveler position before tack. Haven't figured out how to gybe solo so always chicken gybe.
I use the same technique. I wish i had the set up that your boat has; love the outbound. My winches are mounted on the cabin top. Mounting to more aft next spring.

As far as my crash docking/ 20KT cross breeze docking; please don't think that this is my normal routine. I think it out and give myself room when i can. I do it mostly to see how the boat will handle and to gain more experience in different docking situations. Yes; that was a high stress docking! If done right everything is good, done wrong all hell breaks loose. Practice, Practice, Practice
Old 11-29-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I have a Raymarine Smartpilot and I don't think I've changed the angle settings from the default 100 degrees. The previous boat had a Raymarine autopilot as well and I used auto-tack there as well.
How about gain, counter rudder, damping, and response level? I'd like to duplicate your settings and try auto-tack on other boats.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-29-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

SVAuspicious - I'll be back aboard in 2 weeks and can check then. I set the response level to almost the lowest level (to save on energy) but have the gain set high. I don't know what my damping or counter rudder settings are (didn't even know about "counter rudder").

Old 11-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sva- could you educate us about these settings? Seems a lot of us aren't getting the most out of auto tack because we don't understand these settings. At present I'm real happy with how the boat handles on ap in any wind or sea state so,haven't messed with these settings. Guess need a few hours going through the CDs but a short course would be a great help.