SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Aussie Sailor Arrested Carrying Guns!

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jerryrlitton 
#1 ·
An Aussie sailor was caught recently in Indonesia with a gun and ammo. He could face 20 years in some Indonesian hell hole. Just not worth carrying guns in my opinion!

Link to full story below...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=23142

#6 ·
Interestingly, I recently read where all Swiss must serve in the military, and all military "take home their weapons" and keep them at home for the rest of their lives, as part of a "ready home guard."
The Swiss also declare themselves nuetral in the world wars, and shouldn't need guns should they?
Yet Switzerland with all the guns, has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, and one of the highest standards of living.

#9 ·
Hawk,

In case you are interested the Oz sailor is a slightly eccentirc but wealthy individual who owns an old freighter that he converted into his private motor yacht. It's a lovely old thing, not huge but big enough. I saw her when she was in Sydney a couple of years back.

He was charged on the basis that he had not declared the weapons. From memory he claimed he had. They where supposedly only for defence against
piracy.

I don't remember if he was acquited or he did a deal but he was not jailed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.