Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004

jsgsail is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

Any suggestions for a 2 person crew on how many hours to be on and off watch,2-3 day trip. I''ve read 3 on 3 off, but would like to hear some personal experiences

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2004

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

Doing the Baja Bash the two of us did a
4 on 4 off schedule. Anything less than four hours off I don''t think you''d ever catch up on your sleep. Only 4 hrs off was hard enough after several days.
Old 12-01-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

J, Ugh''s own experience aside, I don''t think it''s possible to generalize with others about what watch schedule fits a given crew. I''d suggest you start by considering two basic preferences that you and your other crew member have: what are your natural biorhythms re: sleep and what is your attitude(s) about day-time watch skeds.

To illustrate, my wife and I don''t find it necessary to have a firm watch schedule at any time, but especially so in daytime. Conditions change and some days are more tiring than others, something needs to be fixed, weather f''cast downloading times change, perhaps breakfast takes longer to prepare or there were several sail changes the previous night...there''s just lots of ebb & flow at the personal level some days at sea. OTOH we always have a *designated* watchstander conning the boat (meaning the person knows s/he alone has the watch). Always.

Second, we happen to have individual physiological preferences that fit nicely with one another. Patricia has always been someone that desires an early sleep in the evening. I''m no night owl but I can stay alert later than she can. And it''s not uncommon for her to awake during the night, quite alert...but she needs more sleep than I do and so the daybreak watch isn''t her cup of tea. What this normally shakes out to is:
Pat- early evening watch
Me - after I do the dishes until about midnight
Pat - Midnight - 0300
Me - Thru the dawn and early morning

And even so, the exact times we change watch depends much more on how we''re feeling than any specific point on the clock. For us, this is just how it works most easily, and I''d suggest you ask yourselves how it might work for you.

Jack
Old 12-01-2004

jsgsail is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

Thanks,

We''ll start off 4/4 then adjust as necessary,

Jeff
Old 12-02-2004

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

Once again Whoosh comes up with some suggestions worth listening to.

Good luck with your passage Jeff!

Cliff
Old 12-10-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
2 person watch schedule

My wife and I on a recent cruise did this.I did the Midnight till dawn watch usually about 7:00AM she took the watch after fixing coffee and some grub. Then I would get a few hours of sleep and wake to eat lunch and take the noon to 6:00PM watch and do some maintance which she would have to take the wheel sometimes. I found she needed a little more rest than me and so I felt good about taking a bit more of the watch time than her.So it was an even split and I have a nighttime gig where I take a pillow and blanket and wrap up and if I lay in a spot where I can fix on a star cluster I can tell if I am holding my course or not and I get some rest with maybe only some zig zag but with GPS it is not a big deal. Or like Capt. Ron says just pull over and ask directions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.