Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008

Sundance78 is on a distinguished road
GPS/Laptop

I use a laptop hooked up via serial cable to a garmin III from 1997. It works like a champ. I use the Capn with free raster charts from NOAA. The Capn has a 30 day trial so you can test it. I realized I could just set the Windows clock back and use the program forever. I felt guilty and bought it a while back.

I have every NOAA chart for the east coast loaded. If I zoom in, it automatically selects a higher resolution chart. If a rough inlet with shoal and 6 foot waves, Amy monitored the laptop giving me headings while I white-knuckled the tiller. We got through it thanks for the Capn and no one losing their heads. A usb GPS would be a good choice, nice it uses the laptop battery (less cabling). Anything that is NMEA compatible should work with most programs. Is NMEA the correct acronymn???

Anyway, good luck.
Here is our trip using the laptop > www sundancecsc com/mac25mods htm
Replace the spaces with dots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Can anyone recommend a good, non-proprietary GPS "puck" antenna that plugs via USB into a laptop? I saw a Garmin unit...but it apparently only works with Garmin everything else.
Garmin has a program called spanner you can download from their site that takes the garmin usb input and converts it to nmea on a virtual serial port. It may work with the puck. I am using it with my gpsmap 76 and it interfaces with Maptech perfectly. Also with Microsoft streets and maps.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I had a puck type GPS but decided that it was too finicky. When the computer wasn't interfacing with it, it couldn't be used because the GPS didn't have its own display or power source. Often the interface between the two became unstable and the computer couldn't find the puck. With my handheld GPS and a USB cable everything seems to work fine. When the GPS quits talking to the computer (for whatever reason), the GPS is still useful.

Gaz
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 01-30-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
Garmin has a program called spanner you can download from their site that takes the garmin usb input and converts it to nmea on a virtual serial port. It may work with the puck. I am using it with my gpsmap 76 and it interfaces with Maptech perfectly. Also with Microsoft streets and maps.
DD
Good to know! I don't think I need the Garmin puck, however, as I can use more generic pucks (I don't have a Garmin plotter or anything else Garmin...no particular reason why...)
Old 01-30-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumper View Post
I had a puck type GPS but decided that it was too finicky. When the computer wasn't interfacing with it, it couldn't be used because the GPS didn't have its own display or power source. Often the interface between the two became unstable and the computer couldn't find the puck. With my handheld GPS and a USB cable everything seems to work fine. When the GPS quits talking to the computer (for whatever reason), the GPS is still useful.

Gaz
I have a plotter and two handhelds already. I want the laptop/puck combo to practise with using SeaClear and other programs with NOAA raster maps.

Basically, it's fifty bucks to evaluate and give me something to play with. My current plotter is a Raymarine 420 and while good at acquiring, I don't plan on investing in cartridges for it.
Old 01-30-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=UT-41&cat=GPS

This is a generic puck for $30 that I saw on another thread. I'll be ordering it later for the same reason as Valiente. I could only find them for ~$80. So I was glad to find the link. The antenna will work fine with Seaclear or streets and trips. I broke my last one using it in the car. Unsafe mode of transportation.

Last edited by lharmon; 01-30-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Additional comment and fix spelling.
Old 01-31-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I recently picked up some Delorme street map software at Staples that included a "hockey puck" GPS/USB receiver. Cost was $50 after rebate. I have had some Maptech software (Offshore Navigator Lite) that came for free with a Long Island Sound chartbook but never bothered buying a cable to interface my handheld Lowrance GPS. A little research found that I needed to download a driver to interface the Delorme hockey puck to the Maptech package. Seems to work fine. So total cost for hardware and software to turn my laptop into an automotive GPS AND ALSO a marine chartplotter (with maps of my cruising area) was under $100! Wow!
Old 05-13-2009

ben2go is on a distinguished road
BUMPIN this thread to keep it alive and hopefully updated.If someone was interested in a cheap semi dedicated chart plotter, check this DIY article out. Duckworks - Building a home made Chart Plotter You could use it for wifi internet,software updates on the go,playing music,up to the minute weather updates,and downloading pics from a digital camera.Some food for thought.

Times are tough and to me gps is a safety device.Never a substitute for common sense and paper maps tho.So this is a cheap alternative to more expensive units.Keeps us shoe string sailors on the water.
Old 05-13-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
you might try google earth as well. You can use it as a map.
Old 05-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Google earth requires an internet connection, so isn't very useful for most boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.