Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004

Seagypsywoman is on a distinguished road
CRUISER FRIENDLY WEBSITE CREATION AND HOSTING

I want to create my own website to mostly post photos and updates for friends and family. I have a laptop on board, but internet access is via internet cafes (expensive). For the next two weeks though I have free internet access and so want to set things up, but need to have easy way to update while cruising. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Barb
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

You need to have a web design program #1 I like Dream Weaver it is easy to use after you learn it and it will do anything you ask it to do fast. Then are you cruising or at a dock if at the dock and in a big town get a dialup or cell if you want to do the wireless thing. Earthlink is ok and it is in most cities,Eanthology is ok has 12000 numbers country wide.I had Good luck with Earthlink until this summer and they double billed me and now say I never paid and I have bank statments that say I did but they keep hounding me for $125 bucks they say I owe them,so maybe they are off the list which is to bad because I even used my service at the Mango Lodge by the airport in San Jose Costa Rica and it worked fine.I am using www.eanthology.com I get virus protection and dialup for $10.00 a month after the signup of I think it was $60.00 for the SUPER VIP plan to cure all my virus problems. They are also known as VELOS.
Old 12-10-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barb,

I was in your shoes eight months ago before we started our cruise. Here''s what I did:

First, I got a two year deal for $166.00 at http://www.ipower.com (a web hosting company) where I registered my own domain, got 800 megs of space, and up to 400 email addresses (who needs 400 email addresses?).

Then, from my wifi enabled laptop, I updated my site using dreamweaver whenever I was in port. Wifi is great, as it is fast, but wireless hotspots are hard to find and I spent too much time looking for coffee shops with them. Many marinas have it, but most are not free. On a cruising budget, free is good.

In the end, we got a sprint pcs phone with the $15 unlimited internet add-on and I am able to update my site as much as I want, do some mild we surfing and collect my email. It isn''t great, but works slightly better than dialup at 56K. I keep my website pictures small and only put up big stuff when I have a good wifi connection and lots of bandwidth.

To take a look, my web site is at http://www.nereus32.com/

Hope this helps.

good luck and good cruising.

Steve
Old 12-12-2004

Thanks everyone. It sounds like you have to pay for website hosting, can''t just register a domain and spread the word among your friends and family. I registered my domain with Yahoo for $5.00 but they want another $10/month for hosting if I want anything more than just one page with no photos. They also have a geocities plan (with ads) but I can''t seem to be able to get it to work (I''m sure it works once I figure it out.) As I am cruising, I''ll be updating at internet cafes. Cheers, Barb
Old 12-12-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Build a FREE Website With 20MB of Storage, 500MB of Bandwidth and Easy Website Builders.
Bravenet: http://www.bravenet.com/
Old 12-12-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

SG Woman:

I''d recommend you visit the SSCA BB to see this same thread unfold (http://ssca.org/sscabb/index.php).

If you are looking for ''easy'', Pbase (www.pbase.com) would work well for you. If you want a more unlimited storage capacity (10 or 20 MB isn''t much once you begin posting lots of pics), you might check out www.cruiser.co.za/nukex).

Jack
Old 12-12-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Barb,

The two year deal I got worked out to $6.95/month and you get your own domain, email, space, and all the stuff, but you have to pay all in advance to get the low pricing and free domain registration. I couldn''t find anything better, and I wanted my own web site, not a page on someone elses. So, that is why I went this route. I didn''t want to have to deal with the red tape that is associated with some of these other "free" hosting services, like yahoo.

Plus, having my own host, I get to do other things, like email forwarding, cgi scripts, etc., etc. and a whole bunch of other internet type stuff. I have more options and control. However, it also means things can get more complicated.

If you just want to keep it simple I know that someplaces, like AOL and Earthlink will let you have space if you are a member of those services. Perhaps a search for "web hosting" for "free web hosting" will turn up more options for you.

Also, I met a guy who uses Geocities and is wireless (WiFi) only. He picks his anchorages based on whether there is a house or business near by where he can get an non-encripted router signal. Then he connects and updates from the boat. There are ethical issues with doing this with out permission, of course, so it would be up to your own conscience, but there are many places depending on your cruising area where you can find open routers along the water or in towns along your route - I neither condone or condemn this practice, of course, it is up to you. I also, neither amit or deny that I have ever done this myself.

What ever you do, be sure to post your site address here, so we can follow along. Have a great trip!

Steve
Old 12-14-2004

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Hi Barb

I have the free web page my ISP, Earthlink, provides. It is not a bad deal and allows a decent amount of space. You can see my example at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sv.invictus

Right away you will notice it is a heck of a URL with a few odd characters. Not nearly as convenient as www.whatever.com (now I wonder what is at that URL). So, advantages and disadvantages to both. Earthlink does have a WIDE variety of pre-made web pages...you just click and enter content. Easy, but not too flexible. My page does not contain a lot of text...it could though.

I use Earthlink as my ISP because they have dial up''s available internationally and an online email site. Also web page hosting. Not too bad, although you can get an ISP for $10/mo these days vs the $20 you pay for Earthlink. I think they have the ability to host larger web pages with your own URL...I am sure there is a fee involved though.

But, you can click on the link above and see what you get for free.

Hope this helps

John
s/v Invictus
Hood 38
Old 12-15-2004

ct is on a distinguished road

If you want a dependable hosting service check out PowWeb (www.powweb.com). I''ve had them for about 4-5 years now and my site was only down three times for an hour or so at a time.

For $7.77/month with a couple of free months thrown in, you get 2 gigs of disc space, 5 gigs a day of bandwidth, 650 e-mail accounts, 6 sub-domains, Front Page extentions and a lot more. And no, I don''t work for them.

Seriously- visit their website.

As far as cruising and liveaboard internet access, Alot of the marinas are providing free wireless. Otherwise, get a laptop with WIFI or a PCMIA wireless card. With such a diabolical device, all you have to do is sit in front of the better hotels or College campuses etc. and voila! Free internet service!! I do it all the time. If you''re cruising the Pacific, a number of the islands have free wireless acess for everyone already.

Don''t you just love the sailing life? Ha! Couldn''t be any better than this!
Old 12-18-2004

I just found out about a cruiser-focus web hosting service. It''s called www.BoatTales.com It costs minimum $20/month. Thanks for all the input. Yes, cruising is a fabulous life.
Barb