Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004

bombayduck is on a distinguished road
Monohull vs cat on extended passage?

The very worst thing you can do to a catamaran is to overload her. It''s a problem with "all that space" and the temptation to fill it up but overloading a cat will surely degrade performance to a great degree.

Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2005

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road

Thanks again all. Choices, choices.

I find it interesting that there are almost NO cats in the Pacific Northwest. Having one will cause all sorts of problems with finding berthing etc. Also, since we don''t have any real problems with shoals (other than rocks) having shallow draft is not such a big advantage. Usually we have difficulty with it being too deep to anchor!

I''ve mentioned that I own a Dufour 36 classic. I like the boat a lot for what I''m doing (coastal cruising). I do consider taking her offshore at some stage (maybe a jaunt over to Hawaii and back), but no definite plans yet. I wonder if any readers have experience in a Dufour 36 offshore. The built quality should not be a problem and with the limit of positive stability at 129, she should be as, or more safe than many other production boats in her class. She is also quite fast. Of course for offshore work one needs modifications and the right inventory, which I''m progressively acquiring. I am interested however to hear if anyone has sailed this boat in really nasty weather (which I''ve so far managed to avoid like the plague...), and how the boat stood up to it.

Magnus
Old 07-24-2005

rvkramer is on a distinguished road

Old prejudices die hard... Early cats did have a propensity for flipping and a lot of the bad press comes from racers who spend all thier time on the edge (and frequently over it). Todays catamarans are benefiting from advances in technology just like fiberglass mono''s did, remember the old wood hull die hards and osmosis. A shallow keel or centerboard/daggerboard cat will slide down the face of a wave that in all probability would roll a mono thru 360. With sail plans that are purposely under canvassed, a lower center of effort with a longer boom, shorter mast, and fuller bow sections that reduce the chance of burying the bows, a modern cat is very stable and safe. Lloyds of London publishes capsize rates for thier insured boats and there are significantly less amoung cats then monos. Granted there are less cats but proportionally the difference is still significant. It''s like all sailing, know your boat, watch the weather and currents, reef early and often, and don''t spill your gin & tonic...
Old 07-24-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain this sliding sideways down a wave?(being good)What happens when you get to the bottom?
Old 07-25-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road

As it gets to the bottom you have one hull high and one hull low. The wave is pushing against both. The lower hull gets buried from extra weight and forward wave motion. In big waves it can trip and flip. I don''t think any sane multihull sailor would turn a multihull sideways to seas big enough to flip it.

My guess on why the % of cats flipping is less than monohulls is simple. Cat sailors don''t push as hard in bad weather as monohull salors do. Cats can flip and give no second chance while monohulls get knocked down, recover and keep going.

Wanna get a crash course in multihull sailing and waves? Buy a Hobie cat and take it in the surf.
Old 07-26-2005

rvkramer is on a distinguished road

To compare a modern multihull with a Hobie is like comparing a 45'' monohull with a dingy. As for taking a wave on the beam, in a confused sea rogue waves are "interesting" no matter what you''re sailing. With fuller bow sections the cat continues to move away from the wave''s force. A monohull with its keel cannot escape the turning action of the wave and can 360. Lets keep apples and apples when discussing the facts. How about a quick survey: how many readers have seen a dismasted mono? How many have seen the bottom of a cat? Its like the fear of flying, you have a much greater chance of injury driving to the airport.
Old 07-26-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

quote :Lets keep apples and apples when discussing the facts. How about a quick survey: how many readers have seen a dismasted mono? How many have seen the bottom of a cat? end quote. This is apples to apples?
Old 07-28-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road

kramer, you don''t know it yet but multihulls have the same traits. No matter what size, type, age, construction, captain or crew...power and sail.

Last but not least...The USCG uses monohulls for rescues in severe life threatening weather and multihulls in less severe weather. They do monohulls for one reason...survivability. There is no contest (or apples) between the two on which type is more seaworthy.

I''m still ROTFLMAF about sliding sideways down the face of of rogue waves. It doesn''t happen.

Old 08-15-2005

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road

I know there are starting to be more Cats around in Washington and BC, but they are still pretty rare, probably for the reasons of moorage and price. I usually see several at each boat show in Seattle, but in my Sucia survey this past weekend I saw 1 Cat and several hundred sail and powerboats all Mono''s.

Ken
Old 08-20-2005

Looper is on a distinguished road

This trimaran from Gemini/Telstar has amas that can be fully retracted while in the water (pull in, not fold down like the standard trailerable tri''s). Its not designed as a turtle rescue feature but it might help a lot.
http://www.geminicatamarans.com/Performance_Telstar.htm