Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005

Sunspot Baby is on a distinguished road
Monohull vs cat on extended passage?

I have actually made passages on both mono and multi hulls. I currently own a SA built Prout 38 (see her at www.stateham.com/sunspotbaby).

This particular boat crossed the Atlantic 3 times prior to my purchase in 2001.

I have less propensity to get sea sick on the cat and have had her in some pretty foul water in the Gulf Stream. Prouts don''t have the high bridge deck of some new cats and the banging can be severe. You don''t wallow, you jerk.

Loaded with 6 months of supplies, and a conservative rig, she is no faster than an equivalent mono and doesn''t go closer than about 55% off the wind. Of course there is some leeway from there. The Prout has keels on each hull similar to shoal keels on some shallow draft monohulls and the leeway is equivalent. If the leeway is a big factor, buy a multi with dagger boards. There are a couple of French boats that have them.

As a way of life, the multihull is more comfortable. I believe the chance of capsizing in bad weather is no greater than sinking a mono. I have found no reliable statistics one way or the other. There are a lot of vocal people on both sides with strong prejudices.

An interesting comparison occurred on a short cruise with our yacht club. Seven sail boats left the Beaufort, NC inlet and sailed the short distance to Cape Lookout. Current and wind made for some very bumpy conditions. Going out, we were all slamming into the seas, once we turned across the waves (5 to 7 feet) we, the only cat, had a nice exhilarating sail. The 6 monos were corkscrewing through the waves. That evening they all complained bitterly about the conditions. One woman, a serious sailor for 30 years who claimed to have never been sea sick, broke her streak.

In short, yes I find the cat more comfortable than a mono.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

" I was in the Navy for 6 years and served aboard a destroyer in the north atlantic. That ship was 500 ft long and in a storm I was scared sh*ttless. We lost all our small craft off the davits, we lost all our radar and communications antanae and parts of the mast and super structure. The sea beat us to death for three and half days straight. The swells were in excess of 50 feet. The main deck spent most of the time under water, and the sea was breaking in the forward deck house." End quote Now that you experienced 5 to 7 foot seas you must feel like you are ready.Some people have no idea what is really out there.
Old 08-22-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road

dman - you are a first-class wanker.
Old 08-23-2005

"dman - you are a first-class wanker."end quote You should get your mommy to see if you should write like this on her computor SAILOR Sometimes these discussions ask for opinions about boats.When someone subscribes to a different opinion than does yours you get your panties in a knot.If you cannot handle a different opinion,you should probably skip these posts.BTW what is your opinion on this subject since you forgot to say anything that relates to it?
Old 08-23-2005

case closed
Old 08-23-2005

case closed
Old 08-24-2005

windtakler is on a distinguished road

Children settle down.. As we all know boats are built for different needs and different uses. I don''t think any Cats are built really for cold weather for example, more or less a function of demand. That is where most of these big waves are found normally. And most Cats today are designed for warm weather. So when deciding what is better for long term cruising one should probably consider first where they plan on cruising most of the time. And then find a boat that is designed for such areas - In most Cats your proabably going to feel a bit breezy and cold in the North Alantic. But on the positive side in my opinion since most of the time is spent anchored nothing can beat the comforts of a Cat - So my vote goes with the Cat - but then again I don''t like to go beyond the 36 degree mark especially in cold months.
Old 08-25-2005

the discussion is well and fine, but Dman makes himself the issue when he insists on lurking here just to pounce on and knock the piss out of anyone who asks a legitimate question. Everyone has a different level of expertise. Dman seems to think his is quite high - if that''s true, why can''t he post thoughtful and informative replies such as Jeff_H? Now, really, from having read all his posts, would any of us relish meeting this guy in person?
Old 08-25-2005

SAILOR Follow your own advice and close your case.Quote"Now, really, from having read all his posts, would any of us relish meeting this guy in person?" That`s why you have your face stuck to a computor?I can cut and paste with the best of them if that is what you call informative.If you really knew anything about what is informative follow all Billpjr`s ,Gord,Simaril`s posts and Jack`s as well.
Old 08-25-2005

... like i said.